Looking to Get Involved

Danny McNeela

Aug 27, 2015, 8:01:29 PM8/27/15
to sympy
Hi Folks,

My name is Danny, and I'm a math major at UC Berkeley. I'd like to get involved with Sympy development, and I was hoping that someone familiar with the project would be able to suggest a bugfix or feature that I could start working on in order to get myself familiarized with the codebase. I looked through the easy-fix issues on Github, but most of them seem to be already under active development or outdated. I'm pretty comfortable with calculus, linear algebra, set theory, abstract algebra, and analysis.

Thanks, and I look forward to working with all of you!

Jason Moore

Aug 27, 2015, 8:05:59 PM8/27/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Danny,

We're glad you are interested in SymPy.

We have this document to help people get started: https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Introduction-to-contributing. Please read through that and get your development environment setup if you haven't already.

If you see any "Easy to Fix" issues that seem like they've stalled you can jump in and help fix them. We'll see if any new issues should be labeled easy to fix too.

Gaurav Dhingra

Aug 28, 2015, 1:56:51 AM8/28/15
to sympy
You can look upto this issue #9480  https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues/9480   (base on matrices) as you mentioned Linear Albebra. I have closed my PR related to that, Since i am not interested in solving that. You can go submit your PR.

Gaurav Dhingra(username: gxyd)

Danny McNeela

Aug 28, 2015, 1:29:40 PM8/28/15
to sympy
Thanks Gaurav and Jason. Gaurav, I will take a look at that issue and see if I can hammer out a fix. Is it correct, as the comments say, that there is an issue in Matrix.rank() and Matrix.rref(), or is it just a problem with the rank function?

gxyd

Aug 28, 2015, 1:40:23 PM8/28/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com
I would personally suggest you to go ahead with "what you think is correct" and ping the people who are involved in the issue itself   or    "first ping them on the issue" itself describing "what you think should be the fix" and then work on issue.
Though for my point of view towards the issue, you can look into my PR #9793 https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/9793 .(This may have been a wrong fix).

Gaurav Dhingra (username: gxyd)

Jason Moore

Aug 28, 2015, 5:57:53 PM8/28/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Here is a recently reported issue that shouldn't be too hard to fix: https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues/9871

Danny McNeela

Aug 28, 2015, 10:45:47 PM8/28/15
to sympy
Thanks Jason, I'll take a look.

Danny McNeela

Aug 28, 2015, 10:47:26 PM8/28/15
to sympy
I think I fixed this issue, and I submitted a pull request here: https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/9872

Let me know what you think. The Travis CL checks seem to be taking a long time...is this normal?