GSoC 2018: Solvers: Completing solveset

Ishan Anirudh Joshi

Mar 12, 2018, 12:30:04 PM3/12/18
to sympy
Hi everyone,

I am Ishan Joshi, a second year undergrad. pursuing  Manufacturing and Automation Engineering at Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology, India.
I have been contributing to the codebase of SymPy since July 2017.
I am willing to be a part of GSoC 2018 under the Mathematics project: "Solvers: Completing solveset".
A lot have been done in the previous GSoCs and still quite a lot has to be done in making solveset as powerful as solve.
TODO's:
  • Transcendental equation solver
  • Integrating helper solvers with solveset
  • Building the set infrastructure
  • nonlinsolve
These are some things to be done in the solveset module.
Looking forward for feedback and guidances for the project.
Thanks in advance!

Amit Kumar

Mar 13, 2018, 6:05:26 PM3/13/18
to sympy
Hi Ishan,

Thanks for your interest in working on solvers. To get started with it have a look at the status of the project here:

There is a lot that needs to be done. One of the starting points can be understanding
solveset and then figuring out how old "solve" solves transcendental equations.

Cheers,
Amit
Message has been deleted

Ishan Anirudh Joshi

Mar 14, 2018, 4:54:10 PM3/14/18
to sympy
Looking on the issue of Modular equation solver in solveset, I have started a wiki page(https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Modular-Equation-Solver-in-Solveset).

Ishan Anirudh Joshi

Mar 18, 2018, 9:15:59 AM3/18/18
to sympy
I have started a wiki page regarding nonlinsolve and its working plus its limitations.(https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Non-Linear-Equation-Solver)

Ishan Anirudh Joshi

Mar 23, 2018, 5:30:05 PM3/23/18
to sympy
Here is the link of my GSoC proposal:
Although its not complete, I will be completing it soon(especially the phase-3 part)

Just need to discuss about the idea of connecting solveset with diophantine,py. I find it really good.