conjugate cannot be refined

Chong Wang

Oct 20, 2014, 5:26:14 AM10/20/14
to sy...@googlegroups.com
I wonder why the following code will not remove conjugate:

from sympy import *
= Symbol('x')
refine
(conjugate(x), Q.real(x))

the outcome is:

conjugate(x)

I wonder why refine does't remove the conjugate function.

BTW, Mathematica also handles conjugate rather poorly. I wonder whether conjugate is hard to deal with.

Aaron Meurer

Oct 20, 2014, 4:58:21 PM10/20/14
to sy...@googlegroups.com
The issue is that refine() has very little implemented so far. It's
mostly a proof-of-concept at this point. You'll get better results for
now if you use the old assumptions, i.e., x = Symbol('x', real=True).

Aaron Meurer