Bad news

Jason Moore

Mar 2, 2015, 2:45:14 PM3/2/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't seem like we were selected for the GSoC this year:

https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/list/public/google/gsoc2015

Francesco Bonazzi

Mar 4, 2015, 1:49:04 PM3/4/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com
http://www.i-programmer.info/news/136-open-source/8352-google-shrinks-list-of-gsoc-open-source-organizations.html

An excerpt from the above link:

A comment on Florian Quèze's blog post raises the question of whether Google is reacting to no longer being the default search engine for Firefox. An alternative suggestion made on Hacker News is that Google's budget for this program may be under pressure.

Ondřej Čertík

Mar 4, 2015, 2:17:46 PM3/4/15
to sympy
I just want to clarify that Google got back to us and they said that
we didn't do anything wrong, but established organizations may take a
year off every now and then, so that they can accept new
organizations. This time it was us. They encouraged us to apply next
year. Overall, there is no problem, that's how the program works and I
never expected to be accepted each year for granted. On the contrary,
each year we got accepted, it was great news and a pleasant surprise.

And no, I don't believe that Firefox's default search engine had any
say in this year's GSoC.

Ondrej

Luv Agarwal

Mar 4, 2015, 3:19:22 PM3/4/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com
It's a good idea to give chance to new organizations and we appreciate that. But what is the reason for decreasing the number applications straight by 30 percent?

Jason Moore

Mar 4, 2015, 3:24:39 PM3/4/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Could be lots of things. But GSoC isn't cheap. It could simply be that Google decided to spend less funds on it this year.
On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Luv Agarwal <agarwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's a good idea to give chance to new organizations and we appreciate that. But what is the reason for decreasing the number applications straight by 30 percent?

Sudhanshu Mishra

Mar 4, 2015, 3:30:55 PM3/4/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Could be lots of things. But GSoC isn't cheap. It could simply be that Google decided to spend less funds on it this year.

Even this blog post says so.

Aaron Meurer

Mar 4, 2015, 4:53:55 PM3/4/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Keep in mind that last year 10 more organizations were accepted than
ever before as part of their 10 year anniversary celebrations. So it
is to be expected that fewer will be accepted this year.

Aaron Meurer
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAFW_KCTJhDvZ%3DQ2GAOb4NvU_Nie17fZ2U9aEgPagKa6qfD0SyA%40mail.gmail.com.

Ondřej Čertík

Mar 4, 2015, 6:51:58 PM3/4/15
to sympy
And I think 137 is still a lot (of money and effort from Google). You
can find here the number of orgs each year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code#History

i.e.:

2015 137
2014 190
2013 177
2012 180
2011 175
2010 150
2009 150
2008 174
2007 131
2006 102
2005 41

So it's more than in 2007, 2006, 2005, and only 13 less than in 2009, 2010.

Ondrej