SymPy 0.7.6 release

Aaron Meurer

Aug 27, 2014, 12:10:31 AM8/27/14
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Now that GSoC is over, let's start thinking about doing a 0.7.6 release. Are there any major pull requests from GSoC that are still to be merged?  Any other known changes that should block on the release?

Aaron Meurer

Tim Lahey

Aug 27, 2014, 12:29:07 AM8/27/14
to sy...@googlegroups.com
All of Kundan's pull requests that I reviewed have been merged, so
unless he did some work after the deadline, all of his are in. Nothing
from his work should block the release. He did find some issues with the
non-linear ODE solver, but they shouldn't block the release.

Cheers,

Tim.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6LtVFLB3pTqr2G1%3DvHoFnrQnCqqaxACTVjihToO6f0jeg%40mail.gmail.com.

Matthew Rocklin

Sergey Kirpichev

Aug 27, 2014, 10:34:10 AM8/27/14
to sy...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:10:31 AM UTC+4, Aaron Meurer wrote:
Now that GSoC is over, let's start thinking about doing a 0.7.6 release. Are there any major pull requests from GSoC that are still to be merged?

Avichal Dayal's pull requests aren't merged yet:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pulls/avichaldayal

Probably, mrvasympt pr could be merged in this release, but there is still a problem to investigate.

Aaron Meurer

Aug 27, 2014, 11:08:55 AM8/27/14
to sy...@googlegroups.com
OK, can you guys add the release milestone to the pull requests you'd
like to get merged? Let's set a deadline for mid-September. As it gets
closer, issues which clearly aren't making progress should be removed
from the milestone and pushed to the next release.

Aaron Meurer
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/7510dda3-ce9f-4b91-a673-23fe1f085f6d%40googlegroups.com.

Sergey B Kirpichev

Aug 27, 2014, 11:22:41 AM8/27/14
to sy...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:08:25AM -0500, Aaron Meurer wrote:
> As it gets
> closer, issues which clearly aren't making progress should be removed
> from the milestone and pushed to the next release.

Aaron, do you think we can do another release before the Debian
Jessie freeze (5th Nov)?

Aaron Meurer

Aug 27, 2014, 12:08:40 PM8/27/14
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Sure. Releases are really easy to do. The real issue is making sure
all necessary pull requests are merged.

What does the freeze indicate, though? Do we really need to have it
well before that so that the Debian maintainers can make packages for
it?

Aaron Meurer

Sergey B Kirpichev

Aug 27, 2014, 1:03:06 PM8/27/14
to sy...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 11:08:17AM -0500, Aaron Meurer wrote:
> What does the freeze indicate, though? Do we really need to have it
> well before that so that the Debian maintainers can make packages for
> it?

Yes. In short - no new changes are allowed to enter the testing
repo (only targeted fixes for RC bugs). No uploads of the new
software versions.

https://release.debian.org/jessie/freeze_policy.html

Aaron Meurer

Sep 11, 2014, 5:53:44 PM9/11/14
to sy...@googlegroups.com
My (arbitrary) milestone deadline for the 0.7.6 release is
approaching. It's time to start clearing out
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/milestones/0.7.6 by either finishing
and merging them or deferring them.

Aaron Meurer

Aaron Meurer

Sep 18, 2014, 8:19:05 PM9/18/14
to sy...@googlegroups.com
I'm postponing this deadline, because I think it's important to settle
these assumptions issues to minimize API breaks.

If people think it would help, we can create a release branch, and
only push changes to it that are necessary for the release (bug fixes,
API breaks, etc.). That way we don't have to worry so much about
pushing new things into master that might break things just before the
release.

I'm fine either way. It's really up to what the people who are merging
the code right now and dealing with the test failures think.

Aaron Meurer