SymPy 1.2 released

Aaron Meurer

Jul 9, 2018, 3:18:16 PM7/9/18
to sy...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to announce the release of SymPy 1.2.

SymPy 1.2 can be installed with pip (pip install -U sympy) or conda
(conda install sympy). The conda packages aren't updated just yet, but
they should be soon.

The release notes for this release are at
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Release-Notes-for-1.2.

Some highlights for this release are:

* Python 3.3 is no longer supported. If you require Python 3.3 support, use
SymPy 1.1.1. See our
[policy](https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Python-version-support-policy)
on dropping support for major Python versions.

* Experimental LaTeX parsing with `sympy.parsing.latex.parse_latex()` has been
added, based on the `latex2sympy` project. This requires
`antlr-python-runtime` to be installed.
[#13706](https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/13706)

* The vector module has been improved to support orthogonal curvilinear
coordinate systems ([Szymon Mieszczak's GSoC
project](https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Szymon-Mieszczak,-GSoC-2017-Report,-Implementation-of-multiple-types-of-coordinate-systems-for-vectors))

* New module sympy.integrals.intpoly for integrating uni/bivariate polynomials
over 2-polytopes. ([Arif Ahmed's GSoC
project](https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2017-Report-Arif-Ahmed-:-Integration-over-Polytopes))

* Improvements to the code generation module. ([Björn Dahlgren's GSoC
project](https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2017-Report-Bj%C3%B6rn-Dahlgren:-Improved-code-generation-facilities))

* Improvements to the group theory module. See below for more information.
([Valeriia Gladkova's GSoC
project](https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2017-Report-Valeriia-Gladkova:-Group-Theory))

Other GSoC projects, [Abdullah Javed
Nesar](https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2017-Report-Abdullah-Javed-Nesar:-Rule-based-Integrator),
[Arif
Ahmed](https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2017-Report-Arif-Ahmed-:-Integration-over-Polytopes),
and [Gaurav Dhingra](https://github.com/gxyd/GSoC-2017-Report) are work in
progress improvements to the `integrate` module (particularly, the new `rubi`
submodule and the `risch` submodule), which are not yet visible to user-facing
code.

See the release notes for the full list of changes.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this release. The full list
of people who contributed to this release is in the release notes.

Aaron Meurer

Aaron Meurer

Jul 14, 2018, 12:41:08 PM7/14/18
to sy...@googlegroups.com
I made a notebook with some contributor statistics for this release
https://gist.github.com/asmeurer/c5b8605cd5b7ed179afc30acdda060fc

Aaron Meurer

Comer

Jul 23, 2018, 10:32:44 AM7/23/18
to sympy
Hi Aaron,

How long does it usually take for Anaconda to have a new update to sympy?  It's been almost two weeks. I've tried 'conda install sympy' as suggested every few days but nothing so far.

Comer

Aaron Meurer

Jul 23, 2018, 5:21:06 PM7/23/18
to sy...@googlegroups.com
I don't know. Usually they are quick. You might want to contact their
support about it.

In the meantime, the conda-forge packages are available. If you run

conda config --add channels conda-forge

It will add the channel. We don't have any control over the default
Anaconda packages, but we do maintain the conda-forge package.

Aaron Meurer
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/4cec1e6d-6bd1-4416-962d-b56bb600f8de%40googlegroups.com.

Comer

Jul 24, 2018, 9:37:49 AM7/24/18
to sympy

I have obtained 1.2 from the conda-forge channel. Thanks.

Comer