Preparing to release SymPy 1.7

Oscar Benjamin

Oct 2, 2020, 5:12:11 PM10/2/20
to sympy
Hi all,

I think it's time to release SymPy 1.7. There has been a lot of work
since 1.6 and in particular the GSOC projects finished weeks ago so
it's time to get all the new fixes and features out. The current
release notes for SymPy 1.7 are here:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Release-Notes-for-1.7

Can all contributors please help out by doing these:

1. If you know of any issue or pull request that should be a release
blocker for 1.7 then can you please say so?
2. In particular if any of the GSOC projects has any (small) piece of
work to complete a particular portion of the project then can you let
me know?
3. If you know of any deprecations or backwards compatible changes can
you copy them into the "Backwards compatibility breaks and
deprecations" section of the release notes?

I've moved all outstanding issues from earlier milestones to 1.7 so
you can see them all here:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/milestone/57
I will work through that list of release blockers.

An issue might qualify as a release blocker if either:

1. It is a regression on master since 1.6 or 1.5.
2. Other changes since the last release need a bit more work to finish
them off (for example adding docs).
3. There has been any backwards incompatible change on master that
should be reverted before release.

Some of the issues currently listed on the 1.7 milestone don't meet
these criteria and are actually quite big pieces of work that can't be
done in time so I will move them to the 1.8 milestone.

Oscar

Oscar Benjamin

Oct 9, 2020, 2:26:36 PM10/9/20
to sympy
Hi all,

I'm preparing for the 1.7 release and have created a release branch
and will shortly update the versions both on master and the release
branch.

The 1.7 milestone currently lists 3 open issues/PRs:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/milestone/57

If you can help out with any of those then that would be great. I
don't consider any of them to be an actual blocker for the release
though so if they are not resolved quickly then I will release anyway.
It is possible that other blockers will arise though.

I have updated the release notes with a list of backwards
compatibility breaks and deprecations section near the top:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Release-Notes-for-1.7

Please do test the current master branch with any downstream
codebases. Any feedback from users about what works or not would be
great. It is much better if we can pick up on issues *before* the
release. If you do find an issue that is a regression since 1.6 then
please state that clearly when reporting it.

Oscar

Oscar Benjamin

Oct 18, 2020, 8:17:59 PM10/18/20
to sympy
Hi all,

I'm ready to put out the 1.7 release candidate.

The 1.7 milestone currently lists a few open issues/PRs:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/milestone/57

I do not consider any of those to be a release blocker. If anyone
wants to fix any of those or some other burning issue *very quickly*
then let me know.

Otherwise I'll put out the release candidate for 1.7 ASAP (as soon as
I have a spare few hours - some time this week).

Oscar

Oscar Benjamin

Oct 24, 2020, 7:30:56 AM10/24/20
to sympy
Hi again,

Although I said I was ready to put out the release candidate I have
run into a fair few different problems. It seems that Travis CI has
been having issues which resulted in all sympy builds failing - that
seems to be fixed now and is hopefully not a long term problem. Also
some other problems to do with building the docs have emerged.

Since the release script does not currently work I am in the process
of refactoring it in a way that will hopefully make it easier to
maintain in future. That will take some time though as it needs
careful testing.

At this point I could just quickly merge any outstanding PRs and put
out the 1.7 release candidate manually and then keep working on the
release script to be used later. Otherwise I expect it will be another
week before I can get the automated release process into a state where
it's ready to be used but it might take longer if other issues arise.

My plan is just to work on the release script until it's ready and
then issue the release whenever that happens. That does mean that
anyone hoping to finish something for 1.7 has more time to get it in.
Note that anything merged to master now will not go into the 1.7
release unless it is merged into the 1.7 release branch so you need to
ask me if you want something to go in.

Oscar

­송지수 / 학생 / 화학생물공학부

Nov 8, 2020, 11:52:34 PM11/8/20
to sympy
What is the status of this?

2020년 10월 24일 토요일 오후 8시 30분 56초 UTC+9에 Oscar님이 작성:

Oscar Benjamin

Nov 9, 2020, 6:58:49 AM11/9/20
to sympy
I'm almost ready with the release script. This is a busy time of the
year for me at work so it's difficult to find time to work on sympy
right now.

Oscar

JSS95

Nov 11, 2020, 7:15:04 PM11/11/20
to sympy

That's good. Thanks for your effort!
2020년 11월 9일 월요일 오후 8시 58분 49초 UTC+9에 Oscar님이 작성:
Message has been deleted