Newbie

Tanvi Singhal

Jul 12, 2019, 5:06:19 AM7/12/19
to sympy
I am Tanvi Singhal, a 4th year undergraduate from IIT Roorkee, India. I am pursuing an Int. Mtech degree in Geology. I know basics of Python and I have read Sympy Tutorial. I am familiar with calculus, trigonometry, Matrices and I want to contribute. I found sympy perfect for Maths lovers. I would be glad if you can guide me on how to proceed.

Lee Smith

Jul 12, 2019, 10:20:03 AM7/12/19
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Hello Tanvi:

Have a look at  https://github.com/LeeSmithSBCC/Jupyter-Math-For-Nerds    There is a short Notebook for many undergraduate math classes.  You should install Anaconda on your computer.  You can see each of my noteooks by clicking on them in my site, because github will render them in a read ony mode.  To use them download the folder onto your computer and have fun!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Lee Smith

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 2:06 AM Tanvi Singhal <tanvisi...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am Tanvi Singhal, a 4th year undergraduate from IIT Roorkee, India. I am pursuing an Int. Mtech degree in Geology. I know basics of Python and I have read Sympy Tutorial. I am familiar with calculus, trigonometry, Matrices and I want to contribute. I found sympy perfect for Maths lovers. I would be glad if you can guide me on how to proceed.

Oscar Benjamin

Jul 13, 2019, 6:06:46 AM7/13/19
to sympy
Hi Tanvi,

It's great that you want to contribute!

Take a look here (I guess you already did):
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/introduction-to-contributing

Every part of SymPy can be improved in some way. You mention matrices
- there is a lot of work going on for matrices and many issues:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Amatrices
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Amatrices.expressions

Also for calculus, are you familiar with differential equations? There
are lots of issues for those:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Asolvers.dsolve

I would suggest to familiarise yourself with the parts of SymPy you
might want to work on and then find the easiest possible issue to work
on. You can ask on the issue to check if anyone else is working on it
and to confirm that it is easy. Some are marked "easy to fix" or "good
first issue" but sometimes those labels can be misleading...
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22Easy+to+Fix%22+
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22good+first+issue%22

--
Oscar

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 10:06, Tanvi Singhal <tanvisi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am Tanvi Singhal, a 4th year undergraduate from IIT Roorkee, India. I am pursuing an Int. Mtech degree in Geology. I know basics of Python and I have read Sympy Tutorial. I am familiar with calculus, trigonometry, Matrices and I want to contribute. I found sympy perfect for Maths lovers. I would be glad if you can guide me on how to proceed.

Tanvi Singhal

Jul 14, 2019, 1:07:59 AM7/14/19
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Hey Lee I will check it out. Thanks

Lee Smith

Jul 14, 2019, 10:08:09 AM7/14/19
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Tanvi:  Good Luck

The central idea of these Jupyter Notebooks is that most math problems can be solved by simply invoking the sympy solve method and displaying the result with the sympy plot method.  You can easily extend the analysis, but I prepared a notebook for college algebra, analytic geometry, deriivatives, single and multiple variable calculus and others !

Tanvi Singhal

Jul 15, 2019, 7:02:32 AM7/15/19
to sympy
Hey Oscar,