Number of students engaged in GSoC

Sobir Bobiev

Mar 10, 2018, 8:16:14 AM3/10/18
to sympy
Hello, I am Sobir from Tajikistan.

I want to engage in GSoC for sympy. But I see that there are many others who want it also. And I want to know roughly how many students will get accepted. Or how many students got accepted last year?

I have been studying math at University and changed my department to CS this year at my 3rd year. My experience with python is 1 year and I love doing solving complex problems with it. Also I have a good understanding of mathematics and have some medals in Mathematical International Olympiads(both high school and Undergraduate).
However I am discouraged to apply for Sympy for GSoC this year because I read others introduction.

Any advice you give is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Valeriia Gladkova

Mar 13, 2018, 9:53:17 AM3/13/18
to sympy
Hi Sobir,

here's the page with last year's GSoC applications: https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2017-Current-Applications. And these are the projects that got accepted: https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2017-Report.

I feel that the number of people expressing interest in participating in GSoC and introducing themselves is somewhat smaller than the number of people who actually apply. After all, you need to satisfy a patch requirement and put a lot of time into thinking through and writing a proposal.

So don't be discouraged, just give it a go. Have a look at the GSoC ideas page and see if anything appeals to you.

Sobir Bobiev

Mar 19, 2018, 1:18:46 PM3/19/18
to sympy
Thanks.