GSoC 16 : Ordinary Differential Equations

shubham tibra

Feb 9, 2016, 3:20:13 AM2/9/16
to sympy
Hi everyone,
I am Shubham Tibra, and I will be applying for GSoC this year.

I went through GSoC'16 ideas page and found this interesting https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2016-Ideas#ordinary-differential-equations ,
Currently, Sympy supports many basic types of Differential Equations, but there are methods which can be implemented :
  1. Separation ansatz
  2. "Solving Differential Equations in Terms of Bessel Functions" by Ruben Debeerst
  3. Lie groups and symmetry related
What are the things I need to know before getting into this? Does this project have a willing mentor?

Aaron Meurer

Feb 9, 2016, 11:30:51 AM2/9/16
to sy...@googlegroups.com
You should familiarize yourself with the current ODE module, as well as with the details of those methods. The lie group method will probably require some significant work.

A good place to start is to look at the bugs in the issue tracker for the ODE module, and see if you can fix some of them.

Regarding mentors, yes, I think we should be able to find someone to mentor this project.

Aaron Meurer

shubham tibra

Feb 9, 2016, 11:49:14 AM2/9/16
to sympy
Thanks for the information Aaron.

shubham tibra

Feb 9, 2016, 1:57:17 PM2/9/16
to sympy
Aaron, Which Mathematical topics are the prerequisites? I am thinking about going through them first.

Aaron Meurer

Feb 9, 2016, 2:04:39 PM2/9/16
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Your best bet is to read through the references on the ideas page.  I'm not an expert on these methods so others will probably be able to answer your question better.

Aaron Meurer