Galbraith School proposed development

Janice Tocher

Mar 6, 2023, 9:28:57 AM3/6/23
to swna@googlegroups.com Woodlawn, Tommy Smith
Greetings neighbors,

This Tuesday (tomorrow), City Council will consider a resolution to approve the Preliminary Plan for the Galbraith School Adaptive Reuse planned development. You can see  Item 11-j on the agenda here:

And, if you want to see more detail, you can access the full agenda (NOTE: takes awhile to load because the full agenda is huge). The Galbraith School item starts on page 349.

Tommy Smith attended our recent SWNA board meeting and we requested he talk to the developer and the city about our traffic and parking space concerns. He called me on Friday to give me an update these two concerns as follows:
  • With regards to concern for parking: the developer will create a policy that residents will have to agree with that states they will be fined for parking outside the parking spaces on the property. NOTE: plan is for up to  75 dwelling units composed of Studio, One-Bedroom, and Two Bedroom Units with 83 parking spaces for residents and the community.
  • With regards to traffic: City traffic engineering will analyze point of entry to the development with consideration of school traffic. They will also be assessing the line-of-sight.
    The city has also agreed (unofficially) to find budget over the next year to review traffic for the entire area - including intersections of Galbraith School/Woodlawn and Galbraith School/Taylor
If this is plan is approved by city council, the next step is a Final Plan will be submitted for review and approval by the Planning Commission.

The Council meeting starts at 6:00 and you can park at the Dwight Kessel garage or in the surface lot behind the city/county building. This item is after a few items that appear will require significant discussion. If you’ve never attended a city council meeting, you may want to consider coming to this one. Consider it a civics class! Always interesting to hear how decisions are made by our elected representatives.

Cheers!
Janice

Phone: 865-661-1685

Nancy Lindemer

Mar 6, 2023, 7:13:03 PM3/6/23
to sw...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like Tommy has done a good job, as usual!

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 6, 2023, at 9:29 AM, Janice Tocher <jto...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

--
NOTE: unless otherwise indicated, opinions expressed on this SWNA Group discussion list are those of the individual sending the email - not the Board of Governors or any position taken by SWNA.

Nancy Lindemer

Mar 6, 2023, 7:13:26 PM3/6/23
to sw...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Janice!