Are there CI builds available?

Pelle Johnsen

Jul 5, 2020, 2:19:30 AM7/5/20
to swiftshader
Trying to find any CI builds of binaries, if those are available?

If not I could add GitHub actions that would run on the mirror to build for win/mac/linux, but not sure how well that would work out being a mirror?

 -pjoe

Nicolas Capens

Jul 7, 2020, 2:52:22 PM7/7/20
to Pelle Johnsen, swiftshader
Hi Pelle,

No, we don't provide binary distributions at this time. Google's main CI platforms for SwiftShader are Chrome and Android, and they have their own build infrastructure. One of the challenges with stand-alone binary builds of SwiftShader is tracking which source revision was used, as well as the configuration and toolchain. That info tends to be vital when regressions are reported.

Can you clarify your use case so we can discuss the best course of action?

Cheers,
Nicolas

Pelle Johnsen

Jul 8, 2020, 1:01:18 AM7/8/20
to Nicolas Capens, swiftshader
I was mainly looking for a SW Vulkan renderer for doing automated tests (CI) for webgpu and related projects running without a browser, e.g.: https://github.com/maierfelix/webgpu (using Dawn) and gfx-rs (wgpu, naga).

Do chromium builds have SwiftShader as a 'separate' dynamic lib or is it statically linked?

 -pjoe

Nicolas Capens

Jul 8, 2020, 4:30:06 PM7/8/20
to Pelle Johnsen, swiftshader, Corentin Wallez
Dawn itself is already using SwiftShader for testing its Vulkan implementation. I wonder if you could use some of that integration. I've CC'd the Dawn lead.

We're not yet shipping SwiftShader's Vulkan build as part of Chrome, but that will change once we run WebGL through ANGLE's Vulkan translation and then on SwiftShader. Integration for WebGPU is also underway. The current plan of action is to keep it as a dynamic library.

Corentin Wallez

Jul 9, 2020, 4:33:07 AM7/9/20
to Nicolas Capens, Pelle Johnsen, swiftshader
Hey Pelle,

If you do a Dawn GN build with the dawn_use_swiftshader=true GN arg you should find Swiftshader's Vulkan library in the build directory. Otherwise you can build Swiftshader from source with CMake, it's surprisingly painless for a CMake project. As mentioned on Matrix the following commands should work and be fast to compile:

cmake .. -DREACTOR_BACKEND=Subzero -Thost=x64
cmake --build . --config Release --target vk_swiftshader -j <your number of logical cores + 2>

Cheers,

Corentin

Pelle Johnsen

Jul 10, 2020, 2:59:28 AM7/10/20
to swiftshader
Hi Kangz,

Thanks, I think my laptop has had enough time to recover from my chromium build attempts :D so will give it a try.

Had hoped though that I could find pre-built libs somewhere for use in CI, don't really wanna spend extra build minutes building the same Swiftshader on every push, if can be avoided.

 -pjoe
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to swift...@googlegroups.com.

Corentin Wallez

Jul 10, 2020, 11:57:21 AM7/10/20
On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 8:59 AM Pelle Johnsen <pelle....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Kangz,

Thanks, I think my laptop has had enough time to recover from my chromium build attempts :D so will give it a try.

Had hoped though that I could find pre-built libs somewhere for use in CI, don't really wanna spend extra build minutes building the same Swiftshader on every push, if can be avoided.

Maybe you could build them once and store them somewhere so CI just needs to download them every time.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/swiftshader/2f710fb4-9dfa-450c-8415-b04f43d4e221o%40googlegroups.com.

Pelle Johnsen

Jul 10, 2020, 1:55:00 PM7/10/20
to swiftshader
Yeah, I'll figure something out, maybe just some build caching will do the trick :)

 -pjoe

pal1000

Jul 11, 2020, 4:37:08 PM7/11/20
to swiftshader
Information about reactor backend and commit ID is included, stuff that uniquely identifies source code and build configuration used.