Swift on Linux, etc.

Perry E. Metzger

Nov 20, 2015, 1:47:09 PM11/20/15
to Swift Language
In June there was some mention at the WWDC that Swift was going to be
open sourced and available on platforms other than OS X. Has any
additional news on that been released since then?

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger pe...@piermont.com

Chris Lattner

Nov 20, 2015, 1:56:31 PM11/20/15
to Perry E. Metzger, Swift Language

> On Nov 19, 2015, at 2:04 PM, Perry E. Metzger <pe...@piermont.com> wrote:
>
> In June there was some mention at the WWDC that Swift was going to be
> open sourced and available on platforms other than OS X. Has any
> additional news on that been released since then?

Hi Perry,

No update is available yet and I cannot comment beyond what is already public, but we believe things are on track for the end of this year as promised,

-Chris

Jens Alfke

Nov 20, 2015, 2:08:29 PM11/20/15
to Chris Lattner, Perry E. Metzger, Swift Language

On Nov 20, 2015, at 10:56 AM, Chris Lattner <clat...@apple.com> wrote:

No update is available yet and I cannot comment beyond what is already public, but we believe things are on track for the end of this year as promised,

Looking forward to some tasty open sources under my tree next month!

—Jens

Bruno Berisso

Dec 3, 2015, 10:54:23 AM12/3/15
to Swift Language, clat...@apple.com, pe...@piermont.com

Perry E. Metzger

Dec 3, 2015, 11:21:25 AM12/3/15
to Bruno Berisso, Swift Language, clat...@apple.com
On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 07:54:23 -0800 (PST) Bruno Berisso
<goja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://swift.org/
>
> Finally!

Web site is hammered. Not getting through. :)

Jeremy Pereira

Dec 3, 2015, 11:23:56 AM12/3/15
to Perry E. Metzger, Bruno Berisso, Swift Language, clat...@apple.com
I’m finding it very slow but I do eventually get a response. I shall resist an actual download for a few days when the initial rush is over.

Jens Alfke

Dec 3, 2015, 11:43:08 AM12/3/15
to Bruno Berisso, Swift Language, clat...@apple.com, pe...@piermont.com

On Dec 3, 2015, at 7:54 AM, Bruno Berisso <goja...@gmail.com> wrote:

Congratulations to the Swift team at Apple for releasing on schedule!

Now if only they hadn’t decided to use a Mac Mini as the web server ;-(

—Jens

Jens Alfke

Dec 3, 2015, 12:43:56 PM12/3/15
to Swift Language
Finally got the Source Code page to load! The actual source code is on Github at https://github.com/apple/swift , and there are some high level documents about the language's future at https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution . Both of those pages load quickly :-)

--Jens