Similarities between Swift and Scala, and what can we learn from that as iOS/Mac developers

Javier Siloniz Sandino

Mar 12, 2015, 6:36:37 AM3/12/15
to swift-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi! I wanted to see what are your opinions on this matter. In my current company (47 Degrees LLC) we're doing a lot of stuff related to functional programming (specially in Scala), and I've taken upon myself to try to spread that knowledge and experience in my area of expertise (iOS and Swift currently).
What do you think about this? Do you think Swift is actually closer to functional programming than Objective-C? Are we on a easier route to functional development for iOS and Mac now? Is it worthy at all?

I've explored this subject a little bit in this article for my company's blog. It includes a Playground version of it so you can play out with some of the basic examples I use, and at the end you'll find a GitHub repo containing a small app/game done I've put up in SpriteKit to make some use of this new functional stuff we're getting in Swift.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about this! :)

Jens Alfke

Mar 12, 2015, 12:59:51 PM3/12/15
to Javier Siloniz Sandino, swift-l...@googlegroups.com

On Mar 12, 2015, at 3:36 AM, Javier Siloniz Sandino <javie...@47deg.com> wrote:

What do you think about this? Do you think Swift is actually closer to functional programming than Objective-C? Are we on a easier route to functional development for iOS and Mac now? Is it worthy at all?

Sure. I’ve seen a lot of blog posts about functional programming in Swift, and the objc.io folks wrote a whole book about it.

—Jens

Javier Siloniz Sandino

Mar 13, 2015, 4:43:01 AM3/13/15
to swift-l...@googlegroups.com, javie...@47deg.com
Thanks for the info, Jens!! I will take a grasp at the objc.io book asap!! :D

Decline To State

Mar 14, 2015, 4:17:00 PM3/14/15
to swift-l...@googlegroups.com
Definitely! Swift is amesome!