Help please !

smiley69

Jun 11, 2020, 4:45:16 AM6/11/20
to SurroundSound
Hi everbody,

Can anyone explain to me how  can I make a dts-cd from an ISO-SACD file ?

When I open the ISO file in Foobar, it shows the DST64 multichannels tracks.

I've tried to convert them into wav. OK it gives me multichannels PCM files. But when I burn these files with CDBurner, I lose the multichannel and only have a stereo CD, not DTS-CD....

Any help will be highly appreciated !

Thanks !

mandrix

Jun 11, 2020, 5:00:44 AM6/11/20
to SurroundSound
You willl need to extract the pcm wav,
 resample to 44.1 for the dts cd standard,
split the mch wav file(s) into mono files
use a dts encoder such as Surcode to actually encode to dts file(s)

I do not know if  there exists a free dts encoder...I use the Surcode DVD DTS encoder which does both 48 & 44.1 kHz for DVD & cd.
But without some way to encode to DTS you cannot create a DTS CD.
HTH

mircea raibulet

Jun 11, 2020, 5:10:19 AM6/11/20
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
You need a dts encoder(Minnetonka cd-dvd).....feed the encoder with the proper 6 individual channel audio files and save as dts wave(44.1) file.Burn te audio cd with Nero for instance.

mandrix

Jun 11, 2020, 5:12:33 AM6/11/20
to SurroundSound
So to explain further, you can not burn mch wav to a cd. You CAN burn a proper dts 44.1kHz (cd standard) file because it "looks" and acts like a stereo file. but the dts encoding can be heard as 5.1 with the proper equipment.
I don't think  you can even buy the Surcode encoder anymore, maybe the encoder from DTS but I don't know. If you are resourceful I'm pretty sure you can find one or the other, though.

thierry

Jun 11, 2020, 5:16:30 AM6/11/20
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
ok, thanks for the replies so far ! I'll give it a try...

Bruce Greenberg

Jun 11, 2020, 10:33:13 AM6/11/20
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents... The simplest way to do this is with a combination of Surcode and AudioMuxer. You just tell AudioMuxer where Surcode is and it does all of the heavy lifting. There used to be 2 versions of Surcode for DTS, the $99 version and the $199 version. The $99 version seems to have disappeared and it seems to be hard to order it directly from Minnetonka. You can order the more expensive version here:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/706662-REG/Minnetonka_SCDWSCVU_SurCode_DVD_DTS_5_1.html . Once you convert it, a program like CDBurnerXP will make the DTS CD for you. I've done this hundreds of times because it is the only way to get 5.1 into my car.

And... There might be another decoder out there somewhere. I seem to recall seeing one that was free or inexpensive. Can't recall the name right now.

Good luck!

thierry

Jun 12, 2020, 12:54:32 AM6/12/20
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bruce for your 2 cents contribution ! AudioMuxer looks nice... It only looks rather time consuming all these manipulations and I wonder if I'll have the patience to do all these. I was hoping for an easier option but...C'est la vie ! 😉

DanielTheGreatAu

Jun 12, 2020, 4:47:54 AM6/12/20
to SurroundSound
Xrecode3 will do everything you want in one go... if you're lucky!  Its DTS encoder works for some, not for others – not for me, so I use SurCode CD Pro DTS.

If you're going the one-pass route, drag your ISO into Xrecode3 and it will display the track details.  Click the box next to the TWOCHTOC block of tracks to de-select them, leaving only the MULCHTOC tracks selected.
Select the output as DTS, then click on its tools icon to change the 'Output Settings'.  If you don't have SurCode, select 'Use FFmpeg'.  For burning to a CD, you'll want to change the 'Sample Rate' setting to 44100.
If you want the playback volume to be roughly the same as your ReplayGain-adjusted stereo tracks, tick the (badly-named) 'Normalize' box, then click its tools icon and select 'Apply to Audio' (first!) then select 'Use Loudness Normalization' (second).  This uses an EBU-R128 multi-channel gain adjustment algorithm, modified so clipping is prevented on amplified tracks.  (But then if you're still in the Dark Ages – playing optical discs!! – gain levelling probably won't mean much to you!)
Select the 'Encode' Action, nominate where you want the output files to be generated, then click the 'Start' button to start the conversion (it will take many minutes!).

But if you have SurCode, the method is similar to the above except that you select WAV for Output Format and set it for 44100/16-bit.  For 'Action', select 'Split into file per channel'.  This will generate a set of mono files, one per channel, for each track.  Feed those into Surcode to encode to DTS-WAV, and burn those to a CD with your favourite burning software.

If you have problems doing any of this, let me know which method you're trying to follow and I'll do some screen-shots to make it a little clearer.

Good luck,
Daniel

Phil Steeples

Jun 12, 2020, 4:52:44 AM6/12/20
to SurroundSound
What a great summary. Thanks for your help.

Bruce Greenberg

Jun 12, 2020, 11:05:24 AM6/12/20
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Daniel,

I just recently bought Xrecode3 (it's real cheap) and didn't realize it supported DTS as well. I'll have to check it out.

Phil, the AudioMux solution is actually really simple, if you get a copy of Surcode. You drop your unencoded files into the Audio Conversion section and click on DTSWav. It will ask where Surcode is and then you go have a half a cup of coffee while you wait. It does all the rest. It does lose metadata though. So, if you want a clean collection, you'll need to update the audio properties afterwards. Foobar makes that easy.

But, I'm going to check out Xrecode3 now, because that may be even simpler.

Bruce