Port forward mobile network?

mlohned

Jun 13, 2020, 5:46:24 PM6/13/20
to SurroundSound
First off, hi! I'm new here and to surround sound in general. I just got a decent system working after years of dreaming about it and now I'm definitely hooked.

I spent some time yesterday trying to access the hub, but I'm currently limited to tethering/hotspotting from my phone for internet. Has anyone figured out port forwarding over a phone?

I have found some sort of conflicting info about it. I've read that you can't because most mobile networks have a kind of firewall on the entire network, but that you can usually pay extra to get a public ip, which would allow port forwarding. I also downloaded "fwd" port forwarder for Android, which can check if your ip is public, and it claims that mine is. But after trying every combo of settings I could think of, still no luck. Apparently this is an issue that gamers deal with and it sounds like at least some have had success.

I don't think using a hotspot to be a part of the hub is a good solution, but it would be a start for me. I'm hoping to move within a year, so if it's not possible (without paying a much larger phone bill) then I'm happy to hang out and chat till then!

realafrica

Jun 13, 2020, 5:54:01 PM6/13/20
to SurroundSound
It's not something I know much about, but I use my phone as my modem for my laptop for all internet while I'm abroad. I set it up about 3 years ago, so I forget details, but I remember that some phones can do it better and some can't do it at all, depending on if the phone is 'open' for installing stuff not from the app store. I guess if you have aniphone it would be more difficult as they tend to be locked down too much for user interaction. I use an Android from China smart but not expensive Blackview P2 : https://www.lifewire.com/set-up-usb-tethering-windows-10-4584419

Sam Denholm

Jun 15, 2020, 2:06:31 AM6/15/20
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
So I think I've got it working. It seems a little slow, but that is probably to be expected with my connection. I think my problem may have had something to do with ShakesPeer (I'm running a Mac OS 10.8.5 -old version to keep compatibility with some of my old software-). I switched over to Eiskalt v2.2.3 and it seems to be working in active mode without doing any port forwarding. We'll see!

Phil Steeples

Jun 15, 2020, 2:14:07 AM6/15/20
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Well done. It appears that a few folks have moved over to Eiskalt. I will check that it's all ok a little later. Welcome.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SurroundSound" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/surroundsound/CACsoTy6K%2BbXJFnS0xWZzb4vLT3inaMfuhRussYP4kAShn7KGbA%40mail.gmail.com.

Stephen Brandon

Jun 15, 2020, 9:30:47 AM6/15/20
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I used to use Shakespeer, but switched to Eiskalt and its been working more reliably for me lately. Also it's actually under active development, so will hopefully continue to work if/when you do upgrade your OS at some point down the line. Shakespeer doesn't seem to have been updated in years, so I expect its basically abandoned at this point.

Sam Denholm

Jun 15, 2020, 10:20:47 AM6/15/20
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Aaargh, I spoke too soon. I thought I had it working under active mode, but I must have still been in passive mode. It works for me in passive mode, but I shouldn't use passive mode, right?

I haven't seen canyouseeme.org to work yet either, so that's probably a good indicator. I thought maybe that only applied with firewall/port forward mode...

Thanks for the help!

Bruce Greenberg

Jun 15, 2020, 11:17:08 AM6/15/20
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
I've never had a problem forwarding ports, but I just couldn't get Apex to work.I finally went to passive mode and it is working fine now. I'm sure there is a performance hit, but, I'm not really in any hurry. :-)