Editing dts.wav or dts.flac

wEbAddEr

Jul 31, 2019, 11:29:56 AM7/31/19
to SurroundSound
Is there a way to edit dts tracks for gain(db) and fadi in/out etc ?
For 2ch flac's y use iZotope RX 7 Audio Editor but it don't support dts.

Thanks

cepl...@aol.com

Jul 31, 2019, 1:13:15 PM7/31/19
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested to know if this is possible, as my hunch is "no".   Typically, if the DTS noise gets tampered with to even the slightest degree it usually stops playing back properly.  My guess would be that you would have to decode to analog, tweak the files, and then re-encode.

- CP

Steven Sullivan

Jul 31, 2019, 1:25:55 PM7/31/19
to surrou...@googlegroups.com

Yes, you would need to decode. And I wouldn't bother re-encoding.   Just leave it as PCM (wav).  Shrink it with flac if you want to. (Or re-encode in a *lossless* flavor DTS/Dolby if for some reason you insist on it being DTS/Dolby.)

In general it's risky to send something through lossy compression more than once.

wEbAddEr

Aug 1, 2019, 3:26:23 AM8/1/19
to SurroundSound
Hmmm, i don't want to lose more quality by re-encoding them to dts, PCM converted to flac could be a solution.

Thanks for the info

Timbre4

Aug 2, 2019, 12:29:36 AM8/2/19
to SurroundSound
Hello - May I ask what title this DTS file is? Maybe it exists in analog form to edit. Trying to understand if it’s worth the trouble and what your end game is (has to be DTS?) If you’ve already tried to generate a cue file to use with this existing DTS WAV, I have misread that part.

Steven Sullivan

Aug 2, 2019, 12:14:39 PM8/2/19
to surrou...@googlegroups.com, Timbre4

Analog form ?   You mean like a record, or tape? That would require even more work to edit. You'd have to digitize it first

His file just needs to be in PCM.  (A digital format).  Any audio editing software can work with that.

Timbre4

Aug 2, 2019, 12:42:09 PM8/2/19
to SurroundSound
No, it was late, I did not mean to say analog. I meant to say this title could exist as six channel WAV or FLAC files or even a DVD a ISO. Unless this is a super rare title it probably exist in a better digital form that can be edited. Can somebody please reveal what the album title is so I know if it’s worth this much anguish? It’s much easier to go with something that’s ready to play.

wEbAddEr

Aug 2, 2019, 12:58:17 PM8/2/19
to SurroundSound
There are much DTS files who stops at a 'hard' way, or have a few seconds silence at te beginning and/or end.
I do have it as a 2ch FLAC file, i could make it a 5.1 by myself, but still looking around how.
Being DTS is not needed, only 5.1.

i`m think to try soon some conversions as a PCM and convert them to FLAC to have almost no loss of quality.
Have downloaded BeSweet, channelx, Plogue & plug-ins bundle, Audition & Surroundizer Free.
Still missing a few to try some stuff out like wav2wav6 and those i'm still not aware of :)

Steven Sullivan

Aug 2, 2019, 2:11:38 PM8/2/19
to surrou...@googlegroups.com

This is confusing.

A two channel file --> 5.1 is *upmix*, is that what you've been talking about all along?

There's no (zero) quality loss from decoding DTS-->PCM , and there is no (zero) quality loss from converting PCM--> flac.

You should just tell us what this album is. Or is it a recording you made?

DanielTheGreatAu

Aug 3, 2019, 1:33:28 AM8/3/19
to SurroundSound
wEbAddEr, if you mean you have the music as DTS-encoded FLAC files, then use Xrecode3 to split the tracks into six mono files per track (for the six surround channels),  edit those with RX6, Audition, whatever, then recombine them in Xrecode3 to multi-channel FLAC.

DanielTheGreatAu

Aug 3, 2019, 2:10:06 AM8/3/19
to SurroundSound
I meant to say six mono WAV files...

Daniel

wEbAddEr

Aug 10, 2019, 9:39:49 PM8/10/19
to SurroundSound
Thanks, this works :) :)

DanielTheGreatAu

Aug 10, 2019, 9:59:39 PM8/10/19
to SurroundSound
Glad that helped.  Xrecode3 is a very useful program...  It can also extract audio tracks from SACD and DVD-A ISO files (though there are some ISOs it baulks at), as well as from VOB and MKV video files.

On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 11:39:49 AM UTC+10, wEbAddEr wrote:
Thanks, this works :) :)

On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 2:33:28 AM UTC-3, DanielTheGreatAu wrote:
wEbAddEr, if you mean you have the music as DTS-encoded FLAC files, then use Xrecode3 to split the tracks into six mono WAV files per track (for the six surround channels),  edit those with RX6, Audition, whatever, then recombine them in Xrecode3 to multi-channel FLAC.