What's the minimum equipment?

baw...@gmail.com

May 18, 2021, 10:38:47 AM5/18/21
to SurroundSound
Hello,

With all the hundreds of Tb of exciting music on the hub, what is the minimum that I need in order to actually listen to it? Computer-wise, I have an iMac and a pretty good (stereo) sound system, as well as a TV in a different part of the house with a 5.1 home theatre set up.

Thanks!

Bruce Greenberg

May 18, 2021, 1:41:36 PM5/18/21
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
The minimum you'll need is software to convert the files into DVDs or DTS-CDs to play on your home theater system. I'm not a Mac guy, so I couldn't tell you which software. For any stereo files, you just need a good music player that supports formats like FLAC or can read ISOs. I'm not sure if iTunes can handle all of that. That's the minimum.

Gary Minato

May 18, 2021, 1:41:39 PM5/18/21
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Hi ya

An Apple TV connected to your 5.1 system will enable you to listen to multi-channel music (VLC for Apple TV plays most stuff).

I store all my content (music and video) on my iMac, and use Plex Server running on it to organise the content and make it available on the home network. Install Plex client on the Apple TV to watch content on the 5.1 system.

You can connect your iMac to the stereo system via cable (minijack to stereo or optical cable) to listen to stereo music. Elmedia player, Vox and VLC are apps to use on the iMac, most music files on the hub aren’t iTunes/Music-friendly.

Adding an Apple TV enables you to stream to it via Ethernet or wireless and the Airplay feature opens a myriad of connection options to you as well.

Cheerio
Gary

Sent from my M1 🍎Watch Air with Apple TV

Bruce Greenberg

May 18, 2021, 1:50:29 PM5/18/21
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
When was the last time you played your multi channel music in the ATV Plex app? It hasn't worked in 2 years.

Bruce Greenberg

May 18, 2021, 1:51:17 PM5/18/21
to surrou...@googlegroups.com

Gary Minato

May 18, 2021, 6:42:26 PM5/18/21
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce

Interesting thread, I acknowledge the existence of issues with Plex and multi-channel audio files, but in my experience some files will play correctly and others will not. That’s why I mentioned VLC, because it plays *most* multi-channel files.

I don’t have a 5.1 system at the moment so I can’t give an example of a multi-channel file that works on Plex. Hopefully the issue is resolved before I move to permanent location and have a 5.1 setup again, but I won’t hold my breath!

Now back to that thread …

Good wishes
Gary

Sent from my M1 🍎Watch Air with Apple TV

Bruce Greenberg

May 18, 2021, 7:09:18 PM5/18/21
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Gary,

I started the thread on the Plex forum 2 years ago next week about this. A Plex employee told us it is on the list, but he has been saying that for the last year. They have to rebuild the audio player from the ground up and they have their priorities. I occasionally use VLC. Luckily I over wired when we moved in and I have a long HDMI over Ethernet cable running from my Plex Server to my receiver. I use JRiver to push out the music directly to the receiver/TV. It's not the simplest solution, but it sounds great.

Back to the original thread... There are plenty of different ways to do this, but making CD/DVDs is probably the easiest first step, unless you're a techie.

Bruce

baw...@gmail.com

May 19, 2021, 4:19:28 AM5/19/21
to SurroundSound
Thank you Bruce and Gary. Regarding making DVDs/BDs then ripping them into Plex, yes I was going to ask, is that a good way to proceed? I haven't found a way to make, say, a multichannel FLAC or DSF file into something that can be burned to a disc. I used to have Toast, but won't work since I moved onto Catalina; perhaps a Mac user could say what they use?

baw...@gmail.com

May 19, 2021, 4:26:16 AM5/19/21
to SurroundSound
I have just found an app on the App Store, called FLAC MP3 Converter which converts in the way you'd expect from the name. Luckily, it converts far more formats than just MP3!

Looks interesting, I will investigate...

Bruce Greenberg

May 19, 2021, 8:39:44 AM5/19/21
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Did you get an invite to Telegram? Most of the conversations have moved there and this email group is not being monitored anymore.

baw...@gmail.com

May 19, 2021, 4:03:03 PM5/19/21
to SurroundSound
Yes, thanks Bruce I did. I will download it and login there.

Steven Sullivan

Nov 19, 2021, 1:06:49 PM11/19/21
to surrou...@googlegroups.com, Bruce Greenberg

Please send me an invite to the Telegram group.

Paul Garfunkel

Nov 19, 2021, 4:10:59 PM11/19/21
to SurroundSound, Bruce Greenberg
I have not been on the hub in forever. Is it still running?

Martin Baird

Nov 20, 2021, 5:11:10 AM11/20/21
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
How do I get on the Telegram discussion group?

Thanks Much,

Martin

Message has been deleted

John Kleitz

Nov 20, 2021, 7:48:05 PM11/20/21
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
To convert stereo files use DBpoweramp Music Converter. Converts everything (stereo).