Day 4 rikishi talk

Moti Dichne

Sep 15, 2021, 12:11:56 PM9/15/21
to Sumo Newsletter2

Day 4:

Chiyomaru, letting Kotoekou take charge and losing: "My opponent was low and kept his distance as he slapped. I still have more wins than losses, so I want to gambarize and turn things around!"

Myougiryuu, 4 straight wins: "My body is moving well. The Kyokai joint keiko was refreshing and I was able to train feeling good.."

Tobizaru, first loss: "I'll turn things around. I'm not in bad shape so I shall gambarize!"

Ounoshou, losing on the edge, tables turned on him: "It's my fault for not attacking all the way."

Ura, first win: "I'm glad I won.  There is no problem with my mobility. The joi guys are really strong. I can hardly keep up. If I can establish myself here.. It's really difficult. It's only day 4- it's really difficult.."

Wakatakakage, third win after a sharp tachiai and beating Tamawashi by hatakikomi: "I just have to continue coming from under, is what I was thinking.."

Shoudai, come from behind tsukiotoshi win, a year after his yusho: "I was able to respond well at the edge of the dohyo. This last year has flown by. I feel I'm somehow able to do things right.. I think my body is moving well."

Hokutofuji, losing to Terunofuji: "I was conscious of moving forward but the Yokozuna had his head down and I inadvertently pulled.."

Terunofuji, calmly getting his 4th win: "When I'm on the dohyo I have no time to think too much, so all I can do is give it my all. I think it's not bad.."

Daieishou, beating Takarafuji for the first time after losing 5 straight to him, and getting his third win: "I haven't been able to beat him for a while now so I just went for it. The flow was good and my condition isn't bad.. If you don't go all out, you can't get them wins. I just want to properly see this through till the end." His stablemate Tsurugishou ran a fever of 40 Celsius and sat out today's bout fearing he was infected by the virus, but was found to be negative: "I'm glad he was found negative. I was worried.. "

Takakeishou, getting his first win: "I'm not thinking what my opponent is planning, I'm only thinking about myself and my plans. I'm thinking for myself. My neck has healed and I have no injuries. My neck injury is nothing new. I'm preparing myself for battle every day and I need to win, but there is no use thinking only about that. I will be reflecting on how I did after the final day. For now, I'm concentrating on tomorrow.."

Kiribayama, first time ever with 4 straight wins from day 1: "I was late at the tachiai but I was able to put my head on him and go about it calmly. My body is moving well. Tomorrow I face the Yokozuna. I just want to do my own sumo.."