Day 14 rikishi talk

Moti Dichne

Sep 25, 2021, 4:28:41 PM9/25/21
to Sumo Newsletter2

Day 14:

Shimanoumi-300th career win: "I was not aware of that. I just want to pile up them wins in Makuuchi!"

Ura, grabbing the 194 kilo giant Kaisei's leg and winning : "I just want to do sumo safely till the end."

Yutakayama, losing to Daieishou who has a kinboshi this basho, or a kinbasho this boshi, one of them..: "The difference between my current strength and that of the joi was quite apparent to everyone today in that bout. If I want to cause a stir in the upper ranks, I need to be conscious of the importance of moving forward- much more than I am now, or else it won't work."

Kiribayama, three straight losses after his seventh win, finally getting his kachikoshi today: "I was in a bind.. I feel that it's finally happened.. I want to properly gambarize in my last match."

Chiyotairyuu, facing senshuraku with a 7-7 record: "It's a nerve-wracking situation (he said the word "situation" in English..).Win or lose, I don't want to pull, I want to do forward moving sumo (watch him pull tomorrow..) and end the basho on a high note!"

Wakatakakage, four straight wins since day 11 and kachikoshi: "I was feeling like going from under. I want to properly do sumo a day at a time. It's important to concentrate on one's sumo".

Shoudai, succumbing to Myougiryuu's quick first step, not being able to do anything: "My opponent is in the yusho race so his spirits are high, I think. He 'drank' me.. Lately, I don't have good mental 'images'.. That was the worst sumo that I should never do."

Takakeishou, trying to push Terunofuji away but getting caught in his arms: "He managed to get a grip and I managed to lose.."

Ichinojou, getting a sanyaku kachikoshi for the first time since September 2018: "I think that is good. I want to use all my power and end the basho on a high note!" (suddenly everyone is Robert Plant?)

Okinoumi, first double digit win basho since September 2019: "There is still one day left. If the end will be poor, it's all meaningless. Rather than looking back, I prefer to concentrate on tomorrow!"

Myougiryuu, beating another Ozeki after seeing the other two yusho contenders Endou and Ounoshou lose: "It didn't faze me . I mounted the dohyo concentrated and believing in what I have done till now. I never thought I would be able to get double digit wins. I think I just want to enter the basho tomorrow feeling good!"

Ounoshou, losing to Meisei's henka: "The fact that I couldn't keep up with him today was my bad. It's the first time I see him execute that move and the thought never entered my mind. I think if I was really strong I would still be in the yusho race, so I'm just not   stroganoff  strong enough. I can only gambarize and start over. I want to concentrate till the end and do forward moving sumo!"