Azumaryuu

Moti Dichne

Jun 21, 2023, 5:24:12 AM6/21/23
to Sumo Newsletter2
Another name we don't see much here- 36 years old Mongolian veteran Juryo Azumaryuu (1.92, 162 kilos) has showed some of his stuff today at home, beating Makushita and under rikishi in all 11 bouts. "Compared to the beginning of June, I'm in much better shape," he said. He will be aiming for his first kachikoshi in  three bashos this time around. He just had his first Makuuchi kachikoshi in January and even reached Maegashira 10, but these last two bashos he was makekoshi. "I injured my knee and my shoulder and have pains all over the place and couldn't train well," he added. Last basho he was 2-13 at Juryo 2 and that will surely drop him close to Makushita. "I did well to get those two wins," he comforted himself.  Still, he's been doing close to 20 training bouts a day, a lot even compared to how many he used to do when he was younger.  Lately, his counterparts Kakuryuu, Kagamiou and Kyokushuuhou all retired, but he intends to soldier on. "I want to go on for as long as I can," he summed.

look out. it's Godzilla!"
202306210000402-w500_0[1].jpg