Terunofuji after yusho next day interview

Moti Dichne

Sep 27, 2021, 4:07:45 AM9/27/21
to Sumo Newsletter2

Terunofuji next-day interview:

Q: It's been a day since your yusho. How are you feeling?

A:  I am relieved.

Q: Is this yusho as a shin-Yokozuna different from your other yushos?

A: No, nothing is different.

Q: Before the basho, you were talking about a Yokozuna's responsibility.

A: I feel that as someone at the very top of the rankings, I need to have a sense of responsibility.

Q: These fifteen days, your calm sumo was very conspicuous.

A: It really doesn't help to think too much. I was thinking that I have to bring what i did in training to the basho itself.

Q: You suffered two losses in the second half of the basho. How did you manage to change your feelings?

A: What happens on a certain day happens on a certain day and it's over. I just faced the next day as a new day.

Q: Were you able to act accordingly to the words you used in your Yokozuna promotion ceremony "steadfastness"?

A: Not only during the fifteen days, but even now I'm acting according to it, and I want to continue realizing it in the future.

Q: You followed Kisenosato' shin-Yokozuna yusho back in March 2017 with your own shin-Yokozuna yusho this basho. You were involved in the yusho race back then as well.  Was this a continuation of that experience?

A: No, it was totally different from that basho. There is nothing to continue from back then. I was just concentrating on doing what I had to do this basho.

Q: What do you expect from the next basho, your second basho as a Yokozuna?

A: I will face it seriously one day at a time and gambarize so that I can show a good result again.

Q: Will you be treating your knees now?

A: I will be consulting with my doctors on what to do.

Q: When did you get used to doing the Yokozuna dohyo-iri?

A: I'm still not happy with it. I'm not sure I'll ever be happy with it..

Q: I've heard doing the dohyo-iri is like having two bouts, burden-wise..

A: During the dohyo iri I have everyone's full attention so I was able to do it with a positive sense of anxiety..

Q: Hakuhou intends to retire..

A: I still haven't seen anything about it..