More on the kyujo

Moti Dichne

Jan 17, 2024, 1:36:16 AMJan 17
to Sumo Newsletter2

I'll go out on a limb and say Takakeishou will retire soon. He seems to suffer just being here, looks totally unmotivated, and may be harboring a more serious injury. The media says he asked to go kyujo, which is not like him at all. His fire has gone out it seems to me, and his fire is a central part of his abilities.

Cervical spondylotic radiculopathy

According to Tokiwayama Oyakata,  the condition of his neck worsened after his match against Atamifuji on day 2. He said that he had no strength in his right arm. `When I spoke to him this morning, he asked me to let him go kyujo.  I don't want to put too much pressure on him. He will not be re-entering.`He told me he couldn't go on, so he must be in a lot of pain. He's worked hard. His body is the most important thing and I want him to focus on healing slowly and resting.''  said Tokiwayama Oyakata. This is the 11th time Takakeishou has gone kyujo and it will be his 8th kadoban  come March.