Training news- Kirishima, Daieishou, Wakamotoharu

Moti Dichne

Nov 8, 2023, 2:06:27 PM11/8/23
to Sumo Newsletter2

Ozeki  Kirishima went for degeiko today at Tokitsukaze beya, facing Daieishou and Wakamotoharu for 41 bouts, going 35-6. His Michinoku beya is on a training break, so he decided to go out for training. Yesterday, he had 29 bouts, so that makes 70 bouts in two days, the most anyone did recently. "When you rest too much, you have to start to prepare all over again. Training like this gives one a sense of accomplishment. I planned on doing 50 today.." he said. He has yet to reach double-digit wins as an Ozeki. " My condition is getting better, " he said.

Daieishou went to Tokitsukaze and faced Kirishima and Wakamotoharu. 24 bouts. He is on an Ozeki run this basho, getting kachikoshi for the whole year so far and is leading the pack with number of wins for 2023. His ups and downs seem to be over and he seems stable. "I am having less consecutive losses. I am piling up the wins day by day," he announced.

 Wakamotoharu had 23 bouts in the same session. He has had back to back 9 win bashos. "I most certainly need to win in double digits. I don't want to cling to this rank- I want to climb one step further.." he uttered.