Atamifuji, Nishikifuji

Moti Dichne

Jul 5, 2023, 3:59:51 AM7/5/23
to Sumo Newsletter2
Atamifuji is ranked at Juryo 1 and is aiming for a return to Makuuchi. Last time he was up for one basho in Kyushu 2022 and dropped back down to Juryo. He had 30 bouts today against Takarafuji and the trainee Mongolian Ochilseihan (future Sachinofuji). "I'm getting better gradually and am feeling good. Last basho I was able to move forward well (12-3) and hit properly. But that's not enough. I need to get an uwate and get my opponents' mawashi before they do. Thinking that I need to do my own sumo on a daily basis brings about the results. The banzuke luck was not in my favor this time so I wasn't promoted. Of course that is my aim this basho!" he said.

Maegashira 8 Nishikifuji will be entering without doing any sumo training. He injured his right foot ligament last basho and hasn't returned to his previous condition yet. "I am entering, so that is no excuse.." he said. He did train today, but only some tachiai moves, no sumo. "I'm in no shape to do any sumo. I guess I'll have to wing it.. I considered surgery but i knew I wouldn't be ready in time, so I did some rehabilitating. I'll try to do some sumo the next three days and see what's what" he said.

202307050000522-w500_0[1].jpg