Tamawashi trains

Moti Dichne

Sep 2, 2022, 4:33:06 AM9/2/22
to Sumo Newsletter2
Iron man and oldest sekitori Tamawashi trained at home today. First, he did 6 matches, then he called for one Jonokuchi guy and one Jonidan guy and faced them both at once for 15 vigorous consecutive bouts. "You need to face your pain and your difficulties!" shouted his Oyakata. It was no easy task taking on two at once, even for a rikishi with yusho experience like Tamawashi. "I can't take this lightly, otherwise I'll get injured.. I need my body to remember what to do. I'm not such a genius. I don't want to be thinking too much, I just need to go with the natural flow." he said. Last basho, he was forced to go kyujo due to COVID at his heya, for the first time in his long career. "I just took it easy and rested.. I couldn't watch senshuraku- I felt left behind.." he said. He says he didn't take to heart the fact that his perfect attendance record was stopped (it was later decided his kyujo will not count). "Then I heard that a lot of people were discussing this and voicing their concern. It made me very happy that many people were more concerned about me than i was.." he added..If he makes it to day 9 next basho, he will be tied for 3rd place all time in consecutive bouts. "I just have to properly go about it," he summed.

202209020000449-w500_0[1].jpg

202209020000449-w500_8[1].jpg