YDC convenes- Aki 2022

Moti Dichne

Sep 27, 2022, 2:47:04 AM9/27/22
to Sumo Newsletter2
The YDC ( Yokozuna Deliberation Council, a body formed in 1950 whose 15 members are drawn from outside the Japan Sumo Association, that meets following each basho to consider candidates for promotion to Yokozuna. A recommendation is passed back to the Sumo Association who have the final say. It also offers opinions on the performance of current Yokozuna. ) , after not convening after Nagoya due to COVID, convened and was all over the Ozeki, although they are not the ODC. Regarding Terunofuj's kyujo: "It was greatly  regrettable .As good as he may be, a deteriorating knee can be an obstacle to doing sumo..I want him to carefully heal. I am praying for another yusho from him," said chairman Koumura, hinting in general that they have no issue with Terunofuji taking time off at this point. Regarding the Ozeki : "They are undergoing some technical and mental problems now, including 10 bout winning Takakeishou. We have to point this out. We want them to shake things up again, including Ozeki demotee Mitakeumi.," added the chairman. There were voices calling for a drop from Ozeki to Komusubi with a really bad record. It's not for the YDC to decide of course. "We, representing the fans, have suggested this to the Kyokai. The current system has good points, so in order for the fans to not be disappointed  it's important that the Ozeki wake up.." he added. They then went on to say good things about Tamawashi, Takayasu, Wakatakakakge  and Tobizaru. "Wakatakakage's legs remind me of Wakanohana I. He got 11 wins after losing his first three. He needs to concentrate more on the first days and ask himself why he lost on those days. He should aim for Yokozuna. Tobizaru used to do "circus sumo" and make the fans happy. This time he showed some very strong sumo and has become a rikishi to watch out for in the future. I'd like him to make the effort to move forward.. " summed the chairman.