Cannot add column headings to dive list (after removing them all)

Jaspal Sahota

Aug 23, 2018, 9:05:53 AM8/23/18
to Subsurface Divelog
I (foolishly) removed all the columns from the dive list (all the rows in the dive list had become shorter than normal after I had been rearranging columns and I couldn't find a way to change the height of the rows).

Having removed all the columns there seems to be no way to add them back - right click doesn't show a list of columns to be added.
I tried uninstall, clear the %appdata% folders, reinstall, but I got the same blank dive list :(

Is there perhaps a config file I can edit to fix this?
Thanks
Jas

  • Which version are you using (hint: look at the About screen)? 4.8.1
  • Which OS are you running? Windows 10

Dirk Hohndel

Aug 23, 2018, 1:03:55 PM8/23/18
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 23, 2018, at 6:05 AM, Jaspal Sahota <jaspal...@gmail.com> wrote:

I (foolishly) removed all the columns from the dive list (all the rows in the dive list had become shorter than normal after I had been rearranging columns and I couldn't find a way to change the height of the rows).

Having removed all the columns there seems to be no way to add them back - right click doesn't show a list of columns to be added.
I tried uninstall, clear the %appdata% folders, reinstall, but I got the same blank dive list :(

Is there perhaps a config file I can edit to fix this?

That's a fascinating error case that I don't think we've seen before.
The settings are stored in the registry on Windows and manually messing with that is a bit tricky.
I wonder if we should add a "reset everything" nuclear option somewhere.

Right now I'm not sure what to suggest outside of removing the corresponding keys in the registry (and since I don't have a Windows system to check right now, I can't even tell you which registry keys)

/D

Grey Wolf

Aug 24, 2018, 12:16:13 AM8/24/18
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
hm....

maybe quick and dirty:
uninstall subsurface -> open "regedit" -> search for all subsurface-entrys and delete them -> reinstall subsurface

martin

Jaspal Sahota

Aug 24, 2018, 5:06:53 AM8/24/18
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I found them in: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Subsurface\Subsurface

Uninstall, delete the keys then reinstall seems to have fixed the columns :)

Unfortunately, increasing the font size to larger than the default 7.88 (I like 10...I'm getting older) causes the rows on the dive list to be too short (I've attached a picture). Putting the font size back to 7.88 makes the rows readable again. FWIW I'm on a surfacebook with a high res display (3000x2000) in case that makes a difference?
Regards
Jas

Grey Wolf

Aug 25, 2018, 5:53:35 AM8/25/18
to Subsurface Divelog
hi jaspal

the with could be set by mouse (or, more tricky, in the registry) - but not the hight of the rows (or i didn't find it).

for shure the resolution of 3000x2000 is a little bit high ;-), but have you tried to swith to another font? maybe with another screenfont it is better (or you play around a bit in your windows-screen-settings).

sorry to have no better ideas

nice we

martin

Lubomir I. Ivanov

Aug 26, 2018, 5:05:28 PM8/26/18
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
i've just sent a fix for the first issue - hiding all columns.
https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/pull/1601

lubomir

Lubomir I. Ivanov

Aug 26, 2018, 5:49:21 PM8/26/18
On 24 August 2018 at 12:06, Jaspal Sahota <jaspal...@gmail.com> wrote:

Unfortunately, increasing the font size to larger than the default 7.88 (I like 10...I'm getting older) causes the rows on the dive list to be too short (I've attached a picture). Putting the font size back to 7.88 makes the rows readable again. FWIW I'm on a surfacebook with a high res display (3000x2000) in case that makes a difference?
Regards
Jas

submitted a possible fix for the row height issue as well:

tested on Windows 7.

lubomir