Subsurface companion app for iOS

Zai Gezundt

Oct 22, 2015, 5:14:32 AM10/22/15
to Subsurface Divelog
Subsurface companion app for iOS is great idea but it can be improved by allowing to specify site name even when dive is created automatically. Consider situation when diver goes on a boat to make 2 dives and turns on location tracking before each dive to capture site coordinates. The stream will contain multiple entries that can be roughly grouped by coordinates and time. However the name for both groups will be default one, taken from settings. One can circumvent this by changing the settings before each dive but it is rather inconvenient. I've downloaded Subsurface sources hoping to find companion app for iOS and tweak it but found only sources for Android. If you consider my proposal as worth implementing but have limited development capacity - let me know if I can help.

Also there are two issues with companion app for iOS:
  1. Subsurface manual states that red bar will appear at the bottom of the screen. On my iPhone 6 it is at the top, covering status bar.
  2. Subsurface manual states that one can add manual dive while location service is running. However the app does not respond to anything but stop button on the red bar. Could be related to 1.

Zai Gezundt

Nov 13, 2015, 5:52:50 PM11/13/15
to Subsurface Divelog
Not worth reply?

Dirk Hohndel

Nov 13, 2015, 6:50:38 PM11/13/15
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

Well, at least it didn't get a reply.

The iOS companion app was done by a GSoC student who is no longer an active contributor to Subsurface, and none of the active developers really have taken on maintaining it. It mostly works and appears good enough, so I guess it's one of those "as is" applications.
Your comments below seem valid - but I don't think this is likely to get fixed.

Our focus now is not on the companion apps, anyway, we have more interesting goals: a fairly full featured Subsurface mobile app.

/D