Question on 'subctl export'

Sriharsha Jayanarayana

Nov 18, 2020, 10:36:54 PM11/18/20
to submariner-users
Hi,

I am trying to use 'subctl export' command. The command doesn't specify any ports (TCP/UDP/...). However, the definition of ServiceImport itself has Ports and other information.
Is submariner itself is learning the ports through kubernetes service and doing an export ? However, when I did 'describe' of the ServiceImport, I didn't find any ports included.

regards
Sriharsha

Vishal Thapar

Nov 19, 2020, 2:07:59 AM11/19/20
to submariner-users
Hi Sriharsha,

ServiceImport is an internal object and information in it is filled from kubernetes service once corresponding ServiceExport is created. We currently don't fill in the port information coz we only use the IP for discovery. We do plan to support ports but at this point we've not had any use cases. If you can raise an issue and provide a use case, we can add support for ports.

Thanks and Regards,
Vishal.

Miguel Angel Ajo

Nov 19, 2020, 4:01:59 AM11/19/20
to Vishal Thapar, submariner-users
On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 8:08 AM Vishal Thapar <vth...@redhat.com> wrote:
Hi Sriharsha,

ServiceImport is an internal object and information in it is filled from kubernetes service once corresponding ServiceExport is created. We currently don't fill in the port information coz we only use the IP for discovery. We do plan to support ports but at this point we've not had any use cases. If you can raise an issue and provide a use case, we can add support for ports.

What would be the use case?,  We only do L3 communication in Submariner, ports are part of L4 network stack.

If it's only for security purposes the right way to solve it is network policies.

Thanks and Regards,
Vishal.

On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 9:06:54 AM UTC+5:30 srih...@witesand.io wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to use 'subctl export' command. The command doesn't specify any ports (TCP/UDP/...). However, the definition of ServiceImport itself has Ports and other information.
Is submariner itself is learning the ports through kubernetes service and doing an export ? However, when I did 'describe' of the ServiceImport, I didn't find any ports included.

regards
Sriharsha

Miguel Ángel Ajo  @mangel_ajo
OpenShift / Kubernetes / Multi-cluster Networking team.
ex OSP / Networking DFG, OVN Squad Engineering

Sriharsha Jayanarayana

Nov 19, 2020, 4:46:26 AM11/19/20
to Miguel Angel Ajo, Vishal Thapar, submariner-users
Vishal, Miguel,

Thanks for the response.

I am trying to see if we can somehow integrate OSM (openservice-mesh by Microsoft) with Submariner.
OSM `learns' about k8s services and programs envoy. Here, k8s is a `provider' and it provides a set of services (ServiceName, IP, Ports) to OSM.

I was thinking of Submariner as another `provider' and can feed similar information to OSM.
So that services across clusters can work seamlessly.

regards
Sriharsha

Miguel Angel Ajo

Nov 19, 2020, 6:21:57 AM11/19/20
to Sriharsha Jayanarayana, Vishal Thapar, submariner-users
Ah, understood, that would make sense as a use case, you would be using the object
as a means to discover services which were imported in the cluster, and the details.

explaining the use case so we can tackle it when possible?

Thanks for sharing Sriharsha.