Mars Occultation

bal...@comcast.net

Dec 6, 2022, 9:58:42 PM12/6/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Hi SAS Hawkers:

Moonset tomorrow for Stockton is 4:23 PM, and Mars will disappear behind the Moon near 6:36 PM, and reappear near 7:37 PM. I could be way off, but I think it will take 31 seconds for the Moon to completely eat Mars, and then 31 second to regurgitate it an hour later. If I’m wrong, sue me. It should be strikingly red against the neutral Moon, and the Moon should be about 3.5 times brighter per unit area than Mars. The polar ice cap on Mars will be the brightest feature on Mars and may outshine the Moon for brightness per unit area. Have a good eastern area to observe it.

Baldy

Jeff Baldwin

Lathrop, CA

Jeff Baldwin

Dec 6, 2022, 11:00:41 PM12/6/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Ha! Thanks Ray. Yes. Moonrise. Not moon set. Duh!

Jason Keyes

Dec 7, 2022, 1:48:15 AM12/7/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Should be awesome, if the weather cooperates!

Happy viewing!!!

Jason

Tim Clark

Dec 7, 2022, 8:45:39 PM12/7/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Maria R. Garza

Dec 7, 2022, 9:05:45 PM12/7/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Quick question. I'm in Mexico down by Mexico City. I should be able to see this as well? Right?

Tim Clark

Dec 7, 2022, 9:30:53 PM12/7/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Jeff Baldwin

Dec 7, 2022, 9:39:26 PM12/7/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
THAT WAS SO COOL!!!!!!! Now for the hour waiti for part 2!

spacecadetdoug

Dec 7, 2022, 9:47:46 PM12/7/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Your timing for the event was spot on!!
I was watching in my backyard with my 8.8mm eyepiece.

Doug

spacecadetdoug

Dec 7, 2022, 9:49:33 PM12/7/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Maria, it was going to be close that far south.....what could you see?

Doug

From: 'Tim Clark' via Stockton Astronomical Society <stockt...@googlegroups.com>
Date: 12/7/22 5:45 PM (GMT-08:00)

Bob Jarrett

Dec 7, 2022, 10:03:42 PM12/7/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

It was a blotchy M&M!

Maria R. Garza

Dec 7, 2022, 10:04:40 PM12/7/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com, spacecadetdoug
I did. It's awesome. Waiting for it to reappear

ameer farah

Dec 7, 2022, 10:11:39 PM12/7/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

spacecadetdoug

Dec 7, 2022, 10:12:16 PM12/7/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

spacecadetdoug

Dec 7, 2022, 10:14:57 PM12/7/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
It must have gotten wet....is there water on Mars......wait ....IT IS M&M/Mars Corp. isn't it.....

Dec 7, 2022, 10:30:21 PM12/7/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Ameer, thanks for the photo!! I can ask working, but glad you all got to see it!!

Tim Clark

Dec 7, 2022, 11:14:38 PM12/7/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Yes Ameer, that’s a nice picture.

Here is the one I shot. It’s a difficult photo to take since the moon is so bright .

Tim Inline image

Bill Litel

Dec 8, 2022, 12:24:12 AM12/8/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Awesome photo!

bal...@comcast.net

Dec 8, 2022, 12:35:12 AM12/8/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Hi SAS Gawkers:

Here are my videos of tonight’s occultation. The first video worked out ok, but I had issues on the second video, sorry.

https://youtu.be/zEzAgkN0gsE

https://youtu.be/SfKUExIDweo

Jason Keyes

Dec 8, 2022, 12:56:53 AM12/8/22