Orion Nebula

Eric Holland

Feb 19, 2023, 8:32:01 PM2/19/23
to SAS Google Group
My first real attempt of astrophotography with all new equipment taken last night from my apartment in Lodi.

Details:
Redcat 51
ZWO ASI071MC Main Cam
ZWO ASI174MM Guide Cam
ZWO AM5 mount
ASIAIR Pro Plus Stacked & Stretched
Gain 100
Lights 10x300s
Flats 30xAuto
Darks 30x300s
Bias 100x.001s
Gimp (gradient removal)

Regards,

Eric

IMG_5682.JPG

Paul Kovacik

Feb 19, 2023, 8:44:50 PM2/19/23
to SAS Google Group
Awesome!

You haven't failed until you quit trying.

bal...@comcast.net

Feb 19, 2023, 9:03:58 PM2/19/23
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

That’s very pretty, awesome dude!

Baldy

bal...@comcast.net

Feb 19, 2023, 9:04:39 PM2/19/23
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

You can just detect the Running Man  to the right of the nebula!

My first real attempt of astrophotography with all new equipment taken last night from my apartment in Lodi.

Eric Holland

Feb 19, 2023, 11:30:27 PM2/19/23
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Here it is zoomed in a bit and stacked with Deep Sky StaErie this time and post processed differently in GIMP with more blue and green.  Just goes to show the final image is all in the decisions of how one post processes the images.

Regards,

Eric
IMG_5687.JPG

Christie Abbott

Feb 20, 2023, 12:29:00 AM2/20/23
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Wow!  That is a terrific photo!

Christie

Stockton Astronomical Society

Feb 20, 2023, 12:50:42 AM2/20/23
to Stockton Astronomical Society
WOW! This looks incredible! Exactly the sort of thing I want to learn to do! Thanks for Sharing

-Mike Chapman

Jason Keyes

Feb 20, 2023, 3:19:31 AM2/20/23
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
That a great image of m42!  Nice set up too! I've been working on some post processing techniques with photoshop. Hope you don't mind, I did a quick take on your jpeg to bring out some highlights. How dark are your skies? I've been afraid to go beyond 180 sec due to the light pollution, even with filters.

Jason Keyes
ericsOrion.jpg

Eric Holland

Feb 20, 2023, 4:15:25 AM2/20/23
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Nice remix!  Lodi is about Bortle class 6.  I forgot to list a filter I'm using supposedly good for light pollution.

Altair Astro Tri-Band OSC 2" UV/IR Block Anti Reflection Coating

Regards,

Eric

Jason Keyes

Feb 20, 2023, 1:20:48 PM2/20/23
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
I'll have to look into that filter! That's awesome you can get 300s broad band subs under bortle 6. I thought you'd have to have a narrow band for that. Maybe my L-Pro will allow that length of subs. I think my skies are the same as yours here in Manteca.

If you go for some long integration times on some targets, let me know. Maybe I could image the same and we can combine data. I have a set of Optolong filters so could get some narrow band subs or whatever would help.

Clear skies!

Jason

William Litel

Feb 21, 2023, 8:30:10 PM2/21/23
to 'Eric Holland' via Stockton Astronomical Society
Nice Eric! My goodness! If that’s a first attempt with the gear, imagine what is possible.

William E. Litel
1810 Santa Fe Dr.
Stockton, CA, 95209