[Next Project] Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos

Jason DeCock

Jan 7, 2022, 1:12:47 AM1/7/22
to Standard Ebooks
I'd like to take Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos as my next project.

Since the book is a series of diary entries, would it be appropriate to wrap each entry with a blockquote and use css to remove the indentation? Something like:

<header>
</header>

--
Jason

Alex Cabal

Jan 7, 2022, 7:03:26 PM1/7/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
No, because if the entire book is a diary then what are we quoting?

Instead, you can wrap them in <divs> with the diary-entry epub type.

Make sure to cut the illustrations.

You'll have to be careful with modernize-spelling because I think much
of this is written in an idiosyncratic style.

Send me a link to your repo once you get started. Thanks!
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e7170c7d-93fc-4d6d-ac28-69d8177913een%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e7170c7d-93fc-4d6d-ac28-69d8177913een%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jason DeCock

Jan 7, 2022, 9:28:14 PM1/7/22
to Standard Ebooks
Sounds good.

As far as the spelling, I'll definitely keep an eye out. The transcription includes a note from the transcriber saying "The numerous spelling mistakes in this work are intentional, and have thus been retained." Is this something we want to include in a production note?

Alex Cabal

Jan 7, 2022, 9:29:34 PM1/7/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Jason DeCock

Jan 7, 2022, 9:38:08 PM1/7/22
to Standard Ebooks
I just noticed that I named the repo incorrectly. Changed it to:

Jason DeCock

Jan 8, 2022, 10:49:59 PM1/8/22
to Standard Ebooks
In some ways this book seems pretty straightforward since the transcription is good but the intentional misspellings and missing punctuation do make things a little more difficult. I had originally gone through and modified the numbers according to the SEMOS (15 to fifteen, added commas in 4+ digit numbers, etc) but as I've started reading, I think it makes more sense to back out the spelled out numbers and leave the decimal version. I think it was an intentional choice since it's a diary and feels like how the author would have written them. I would leave the other formatting since that's just for ease of reading. Thoughts?

Also, the book includes "The End" at the end. I honestly can't tell if that's something that the fictional diary author wrote or if it's added by the publisher.

Alex Cabal

Jan 8, 2022, 10:53:18 PM1/8/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Jason DeCock

Jan 8, 2022, 11:00:37 PM1/8/22
to Standard Ebooks
Is cutting the end an "editorial" commit?

Alex Cabal

Jan 8, 2022, 11:02:31 PM1/8/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Jason DeCock

Jan 11, 2022, 12:58:16 PM1/11/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thoughts on "La casquette de Poiret" by Léon Comerre as the cover?

cover.jpeg

Alex Cabal

Jan 11, 2022, 1:04:13 PM1/11/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Good find, but do you have pd proof?

Jason DeCock

Jan 11, 2022, 1:47:02 PM1/11/22
to Standard Ebooks

Jason DeCock

Jan 11, 2022, 7:19:55 PM1/11/22
to Standard Ebooks
Would a currency name that's not in MW be italicized?

"they only get a small size yellow dime called a 'fifty santeems' for a tip"

It's clear from context and and "franc" (which is in MW) is used repeatedly around it.

Alex Cabal

Jan 11, 2022, 7:35:21 PM1/11/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
She meant to spell "centimes" which is in mw. This is what I meant by careful attention will be required. In fact I would probably leave anything besides routine hyphenation removal alone, as a matter of prose style

Vince

Jan 11, 2022, 7:35:59 PM1/11/22
to Standard Ebooks
It’s in M-W (centime), it’s just a crazy spelling, which is likely intentional? So I wouldn’t think so.

Jason DeCock

Jan 11, 2022, 9:05:55 PM1/11/22
to Standard Ebooks
I figured it was another intentional misspelling, but I looked it up and found websites referring to actual santeems. For example: https://foreigncurrencyandcoin.com/product/ethiopia-10-santeem/

Good to know that there is a different, valid currency, though.

John Rambow

Jan 12, 2022, 6:03:38 PM1/12/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I'd like to attempt this orientalist fantasy from the want list as my next production.

The Gutenberg text starts with a memoir of the author and his wealth that I think we could skip. There's also a short preface (worth keeping, probably), and a few endnotes.

Text

Alex Cabal

Jan 12, 2022, 10:25:38 PM1/12/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, sounds good. I agree that the memoir can be cut. Set a link to your
repo once you get started!

On 1/12/22 6:03 PM, John Rambow wrote:
> Hi there,
>

> I'd like to attempt this orientalist fantasy from the want list as my
> next production.
>
> The Gutenberg text starts with a memoir of the author and his wealth
> that I think we could skip. There's also a short preface (worth keeping,
> probably), and a few endnotes.
>

> Text
>
> https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42401
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42401>
>

> Scans [they appear to be the same edition]
>
> https://www.google.com/books/edition/Vathek/GrMNAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0
> <https://www.google.com/books/edition/Vathek/GrMNAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0>
>
> https://archive.org/details/vathekanarabian01nortgoog/mode/2up
> <https://archive.org/details/vathekanarabian01nortgoog/mode/2up>

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8ym6uh5o9kH2sXhfwJWqg0NkN8DC_Y7jEf314vaqe9xg%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8ym6uh5o9kH2sXhfwJWqg0NkN8DC_Y7jEf314vaqe9xg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jason DeCock

Jan 12, 2022, 11:26:44 PM1/12/22
to Standard Ebooks

Alex Cabal

Jan 13, 2022, 10:51:56 AM1/13/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Matic, do you have time to review this?
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/81aa0a90-cd48-450d-a32e-e2cfd79a6565n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/81aa0a90-cd48-450d-a32e-e2cfd79a6565n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

maticstric

Jan 13, 2022, 12:35:51 PM1/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
Yep!

maticstric

Jan 13, 2022, 5:12:50 PM1/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
It looks like this was pretty straightforward. I logged a couple of issues in the repo.

I do have one question for everyone and one note for Alex though:

1. In Chapter 5 (https://github.com/jdecock/anita-loos_gentlemen-prefer-blondes/blob/master/src/epub/text/chapter-5.xhtml) there's about 10 instances of the word "kunst" ("art" in German) and Jason only italicized the first instance, presumably following https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.6.2/single-page#8.2.9.3. Is that correct or should we italicize all instances?

There's also a couple of capitalized "Kunst" s (referring to the Kunst theater). Should those have the <span> or <i> xml:lang tags?

2. Once the review is done, Alex should double-check the changes made in commit efdb33d ([Editorial] Modernize hyphenation and spelling) because this book is a special case, but I think they're all fine.

Jason DeCock

Jan 13, 2022, 8:48:21 PM1/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
Those changes, minus the stuff on kunst for now, have been made. I also recropped the cover a bit to zoom out as far as possible. I think it looks better.

John Rambow

Jan 15, 2022, 10:49:32 AM1/15/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
After getting more into this, I see that the transcription of Vathek from the 1903 Everyman edition (SHORTER NOVELS, EIGHTEENTH CENTURY) is cleaner, without as many small caps, or page numbers, etc., and I think better notes. And the transcriber even made some corrections: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/34766/34766-h/34766-h.htm

A full PDF scan of that 1903 edition doesn't appear to be publicly available, but there is a 1930 version available for 1-hour borrowing via the Internet Archive. It would surprise me if there were many changes to the text between those two Everyman editions.

Is it therefore OK to use the Everyman transcription?

If not, I'll go forward with the earlier one I listed (https://www.gutenberg.org/files/42401/42401-h/42401-h.htm), which has full scans available.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/10f067cf-ede8-ac8e-f605-938cf166ed25%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Jan 15, 2022, 1:31:12 PM1/15/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You can use any *transcription* on PG because we assume they have
cleared it as US-PD.

As far as the *scans* go, you must find a set before 1926. Later scans
are only allowed on a case by case basis if they have an earlier
copyright date listed. You'll have to send a link for me to take a look.

On 1/15/22 10:49 AM, John Rambow wrote:
> After getting more into this, I see that the transcription of Vathek
> from the 1903 Everyman edition (SHORTER NOVELS, EIGHTEENTH CENTURY) is
> cleaner, without as many small caps, or page numbers, etc., and I think
> better notes. And the transcriber even made some corrections:
> https://www.gutenberg.org/files/34766/34766-h/34766-h.htm
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/files/34766/34766-h/34766-h.htm>
>
> A full PDF scan of that 1903 edition doesn't appear to be publicly
> available, but there is a 1930 version available for 1-hour borrowing
> via the Internet Archive. It would surprise me if there were many
> changes to the text between those two Everyman editions.
>
> Is it therefore OK to use the Everyman transcription?
>

> If not, I'll go forward with the earlier one I listed
> (https://www.gutenberg.org/files/42401/42401-h/42401-h.htm
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/files/42401/42401-h/42401-h.htm>), which has
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8ym6uh5o9kH2sXhfwJWqg0NkN8DC_Y7jEf314vaqe9xg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8ym6uh5o9kH2sXhfwJWqg0NkN8DC_Y7jEf314vaqe9xg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/10f067cf-ede8-ac8e-f605-938cf166ed25%40standardebooks.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/10f067cf-ede8-ac8e-f605-938cf166ed25%40standardebooks.org>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g86uGhHMsjJtuM%2B%2BthomwxNs1wPfn3vtXr3nHgS6Ts6mA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g86uGhHMsjJtuM%2B%2BthomwxNs1wPfn3vtXr3nHgS6Ts6mA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

John Rambow

Jan 15, 2022, 5:11:01 PM1/15/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, I keep thinking the scans should comes from exactly the same as the edition used for the transcription. But that doesn't seem crucial.

So here are scans we can use from a 1923 edition that looks like it's at least close to the PG transcription. This book was popular, so there are lots of editions out there . . .

And if that works, here's my first commit:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/efd3dcbc-bc96-d3dd-8718-a2cce1aebfb7%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Jan 15, 2022, 5:16:02 PM1/15/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Correct, the scans don't necessarily have to come from the same edition,
not least because PG, like SE, often blends editions or makes their own
changes.

The important thing when finding scans is typically to find the latest
editions possible, and doing a rough comparison between other editions
to make sure the edition we've picked isn't missing formatting or
doesn't have some other weird problem. There aren't hard or fast rules
because each book is unique with a unique printing history.
> [...]
> >
> >      >
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8ym6uh5o9kH2sXhfwJWqg0NkN8DC_Y7jEf314vaqe9xg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8ym6uh5o9kH2sXhfwJWqg0NkN8DC_Y7jEf314vaqe9xg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8ym6uh5o9kH2sXhfwJWqg0NkN8DC_Y7jEf314vaqe9xg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8ym6uh5o9kH2sXhfwJWqg0NkN8DC_Y7jEf314vaqe9xg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.

Jason DeCock

Jan 15, 2022, 6:18:11 PM1/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
Alex, have you had a chance to look at the questions Matic had during his review?

John Rambow

Jan 18, 2022, 4:34:55 PM1/18/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I'd like to put Vathek on the back burner, because it's a much more elaborate production than I realized. The text itself seems fine. But there are over 250 endnotes, often with verse, translations, citations, etc. There's a risk I'd make a hash of it.

So I'd like to propose doing a Wodehouse next instead . . .

A Gentleman of Leisure (AKA The Intrusion of Jimmy)
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/65172/65172-h/65172-h.htm [new transcription from last year of 1921 edition]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c110be77-f633-b791-a440-3875cf2f6a5e%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Jan 18, 2022, 4:59:29 PM1/18/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, you can work on that. Wodehouse editions vary greatly so don't be
surprised if the page scans don't match the transcription very well. I
would use them only for obvious typo corrections. Please send a link to
your repo once you get started, and you can start a new thread on the
mailing list too please. Thanks!

On 1/18/22 3:34 PM, John Rambow wrote:
> [...]
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g86uGhHMsjJtuM%2B%2BthomwxNs1wPfn3vtXr3nHgS6Ts6mA%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g86uGhHMsjJtuM%2B%2BthomwxNs1wPfn3vtXr3nHgS6Ts6mA%40mail.gmail.com>>
> >     <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >     To view this discussion on the web visit
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/efd3dcbc-bc96-d3dd-8718-a2cce1aebfb7%40standardebooks.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/efd3dcbc-bc96-d3dd-8718-a2cce1aebfb7%40standardebooks.org>
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/efd3dcbc-bc96-d3dd-8718-a2cce1aebfb7%40standardebooks.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/efd3dcbc-bc96-d3dd-8718-a2cce1aebfb7%40standardebooks.org>>.

maticstric

Jan 18, 2022, 5:39:12 PM1/18/22
to Standard Ebooks
I'm copy-pasting my earlier response so we can get Gentlemen Prefer Blondes finished:

1. In Chapter 5 (https://github.com/jdecock/anita-loos_gentlemen-prefer-blondes/blob/master/src/epub/text/chapter-5.xhtml) there's about 10 instances of the word "kunst" ("art" in German) and Jason only italicized the first instance, presumably following https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.6.2/single-page#8.2.9.3. Is that correct or should we italicize all instances?

There's also a couple of capitalized "Kunst" s (referring to the Kunst theater). Should those have the <span> or <i> xml:lang tags?

2. Once the review is done, Alex should double-check the changes made in commit efdb33d ([Editorial] Modernize hyphenation and spelling) because this book is a special case, but I think they're all fine.

Alex Cabal

Jan 20, 2022, 1:51:40 PM1/20/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I think it's fine as it is in the repo.

On 1/18/22 4:39 PM, maticstric wrote:
> I'm copy-pasting my earlier response so we can get /Gentlemen Prefer
> Blondes/ finished:
> <https://github.com/jdecock/anita-loos_gentlemen-prefer-blondes/blob/master/src/epub/text/chapter-5.xhtml>)
> there's about 10 instances of the word "kunst" ("art" in German) and
> Jason only italicized the first instance, presumably following
> https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.6.2/single-page#8.2.9.3
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.6.2/single-page#8.2.9.3>. Is that
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g9gfhznr5nRfXCxOtR%2B1gR3CcC_JW8uWAVhWXEsZ%3D8sLg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g9gfhznr5nRfXCxOtR%2B1gR3CcC_JW8uWAVhWXEsZ%3D8sLg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4211a87e-fc49-4ac4-a1f9-862fdcadfcf1n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4211a87e-fc49-4ac4-a1f9-862fdcadfcf1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Jan 20, 2022, 1:51:56 PM1/20/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, I've had some time to look at this, sorry for the delay. It all
looks good and I've gone ahead and released it. Thanks!