[First Project] Northanger Abbey Jane Austen

Lia

May 5, 2021, 2:07:07 PM5/5/21
to Standard Ebooks
Hi all,

I've been reading standard ebooks for awhile now and would love to contribute.

Would Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen be an acceptable first project? It's not on the wanted list, but it's a light read and fairly short (around 80k words).

Alex Cabal

May 5, 2021, 3:39:40 PM5/5/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great, that one would be a good start.

I see a few instances of verse in there, but nothing too complicated.
Check the manual for copy and paste CSS and structure.

Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting,
as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
particular, please closely review the semantics, high level patterns,
and typography sections:

https://standardebooks.org/manual

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography

The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:

https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
whatever problem you've encountered.

When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
that I can mark you as having started.

Have fun! :)
> Project Gutenberg HTML <https://www.gutenberg.org/files/121/121-h/121-h.htm>
> Internet Archive scans
> <https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_IBYCAAAAYAAJ/mode/2up>

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/05675f0a-851d-4311-a753-77c1186323e0n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/05675f0a-851d-4311-a753-77c1186323e0n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lia

May 6, 2021, 1:32:33 PM5/6/21
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks, getting to work now, here's the repo:

Amanda Dunker

Nov 4, 2021, 11:26:10 AM11/4/21
to Standard Ebooks
Is this still underway? If not I'd like to try!

Alex Cabal

Nov 4, 2021, 10:16:20 PM11/4/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
No, it has been abandoned so you can start over if you'd like. Check out
the previous thread for details about how to start this particular book,
and send us a link to your repo once you get started. Thanks1

On 11/4/21 10:26 AM, Amanda Dunker wrote:
> Is this still underway? If not I'd like to try!
>
> On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 1:32:33 PM UTC-4 lia.me...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Thanks, getting to work now, here's the repo:
> https://github.com/LBMensinger/jane-austen_northanger-abbey
> <https://github.com/LBMensinger/jane-austen_northanger-abbey>
>
> On Wednesday, 5 May 2021 at 21:39:40 UTC+2 Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> Great, that one would be a good start.
>
> I see a few instances of verse in there, but nothing too
> complicated.
> Check the manual for copy and paste CSS and structure.
>
> Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before
> starting,
> as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
> particular, please closely review the semantics, high level
> patterns,
> and typography sections:
>
> https://standardebooks.org/manual
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual>
>
> https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics>
>
> https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns>
>

> https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/05675f0a-851d-4311-a753-77c1186323e0n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/05675f0a-851d-4311-a753-77c1186323e0n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/decec2e3-b909-4b50-b08d-66bb6d206587n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/decec2e3-b909-4b50-b08d-66bb6d206587n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Amanda Dunker

Nov 5, 2021, 2:34:41 PM11/5/21
to Standard Ebooks
Here is the link to the repository:  https://github.com/amanda8404/jane-austen_northanger-abbey. I don't see another thread about this book, did you just mean your previous message to person who originally started it? I haven't done anything yet except create the repository just in case!

Vince

Nov 5, 2021, 3:16:27 PM11/5/21
to Standard Ebooks
Yes, that’s what he meant. He was thinking this was a separate thread, which it should be. :)

Alex Cabal

Nov 7, 2021, 12:13:11 AM11/7/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Right, this thread:
https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/4qber-gSZTI/m/ZB-zv1sWBQAJ
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bd476b59-7739-4475-965c-8349697d2c41n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bd476b59-7739-4475-965c-8349697d2c41n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lukas Bystricky

May 6, 2022, 7:20:00 PM5/6/22
to Standard Ebooks
Has there been any progress on this? I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but if this project has been abandoned again I'm currently reading it for a book club so I don't think it would require much effort on my part to produce it.

Alex Cabal

May 6, 2022, 7:21:18 PM5/6/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
This was abandoned, you can pick it up if you like

On 5/6/22 6:20 PM, Lukas Bystricky wrote:
> Has there been any progress on this? I don't want to step on anyone's
> toes, but if this project has been abandoned again I'm currently reading
> it for a book club so I don't think it would require much effort on my
> part to produce it.
>
> On Sunday, November 7, 2021 at 5:13:11 AM UTC+1 Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> Right, this thread:
> https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/4qber-gSZTI/m/ZB-zv1sWBQAJ
> <https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/4qber-gSZTI/m/ZB-zv1sWBQAJ>
>

> On 11/5/21 1:34 PM, Amanda Dunker wrote:
> > Here is the link to the repository:
> > https://github.com/amanda8404/jane-austen_northanger-abbey
> <https://github.com/amanda8404/jane-austen_northanger-abbey>. I
> don't see
> > another thread about this book, did you just mean your previous
> message
> > to person who originally started it? I haven't done anything yet
> except
> > create the repository just in case!
> >
> > --
> send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bd476b59-7739-4475-965c-8349697d2c41n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bd476b59-7739-4475-965c-8349697d2c41n%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bd476b59-7739-4475-965c-8349697d2c41n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bd476b59-7739-4475-965c-8349697d2c41n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e717742c-74f3-4c1a-9dc7-0ccca0202371n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e717742c-74f3-4c1a-9dc7-0ccca0202371n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lukas Bystricky

May 6, 2022, 7:23:24 PM5/6/22
to Standard Ebooks
Great!

Lukas Bystricky

May 11, 2022, 2:28:29 PM5/11/22
to Standard Ebooks
How's this for the cover?

The painting is Before the Mirror by Édouard Manet. PD proof (page 3).

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 8.25.30 PM.png

Alex Cabal

May 11, 2022, 4:37:09 PM5/11/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Lukas Bystricky

May 12, 2022, 11:28:18 AM5/12/22
to Standard Ebooks
Ok, just a few possible modernizations:

pump-house -> pump house
inn-yard -> innyard
Blaize Castle -> Blaise Castle
billiard-room -> billiard room
se'nnight -> sennight
mess-room -> messroom
dressing-gown -> dressing gown
dinner-table -> dinner table
drawing-room -> drawing room
dining-room -> dining room
breakfast-room -> breakfast room
dining-parlour -> dining parlour
eating-room -> eating room
breakfast-parlour -> breakfast parlour
kitchen-garden -> kitchen garden
an useless -> a useless
waiting-maid -> waiting maid
post-chaise -> post chaise
post-boy -> postboy

Alex Cabal

May 12, 2022, 3:36:54 PM5/12/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Those look fine but I would leave `an useless` as that appears to be
quite common

On 5/12/22 10:28 AM, Lukas Bystricky wrote:
> Ok, just a few possible modernizations:
>
> pump-house -> pump house
> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pump%20room>
> inn-yard -> innyard <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/innyard>
> Blaize Castle -> Blaise Castle
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaise_Castle_Estate>
> billiard-room -> billiard room
> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/billiard%20room>
> se'nnight -> sennight <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/se'nnight>
> mess-room -> messroom <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/messroom>
> dressing-gown -> dressing gown
> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dressing%20gown>
> dinner-table -> dinner table
> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dinner%20table>
> drawing-room -> drawing room
> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/drawing%20room>
> dining-room -> dining room
> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dining%20room>
> breakfast-room -> breakfast room
> dining-parlour -> dining parlour
> eating-room -> eating room
> breakfast-parlour -> breakfast parlour
> kitchen-garden -> kitchen garden
> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kitchen%20garden>
> an useless -> a useless
> waiting-maid ->waiting maid
> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/waiting%20maid>
> post-chaise -> post chaise
> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/post%20chaise>
> post-boy -> postboy <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/postboy>
>
> On Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 8:28:29 PM UTC+2 Lukas Bystricky wrote:
>
> How's this for the cover?
>
> The painting is Before the Mirror
> <https://www.guggenheim.org/artwork/2609> by Édouard Manet. PD proof
> <https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Arts/vMtLAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e717742c-74f3-4c1a-9dc7-0ccca0202371n%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e717742c-74f3-4c1a-9dc7-0ccca0202371n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e717742c-74f3-4c1a-9dc7-0ccca0202371n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/11c9acb6-92ba-4182-8498-24e8289e9a94n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/11c9acb6-92ba-4182-8498-24e8289e9a94n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lukas Bystricky

May 12, 2022, 4:10:10 PM5/12/22
to Standard Ebooks
Ok, I think it's all ready for review: https://github.com/lukasbystricky/jane-austen_northanger_abbey

A couple notes:
1. I couldn't find scans that matched the PG transcription. The transcription indicates it's from the Signet Classic text, so perhaps that's not out of public domain. I used these scans instead: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001023075, which includes Jane Austen's preface. I didn't attempt to bring the PG transcription in line with those scans though since there's a lot of minor grammatical differences.
2. There's a couple letters that I re-formatted to make look more like a print copy I have handy. I assume that's ok?

Alex Cabal

May 12, 2022, 10:37:09 PM5/12/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Alex Cabal

May 12, 2022, 10:37:48 PM5/12/22
On 5/12/22 3:10 PM, Lukas Bystricky wrote:
> Ok, I think it's all ready for
> review: https://github.com/lukasbystricky/jane-austen_northanger_abbey
>
> A couple notes:
> 1. I couldn't find scans that matched the PG transcription. The
> transcription indicates it's from the Signet Classic text, so perhaps
> that's not out of public domain. I used these scans instead:
> https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001023075, which includes Jane
> Austen's preface. I didn't attempt to bring the PG transcription in line
> with those scans though since there's a lot of minor grammatical
> differences.

That's fine. We trust PG implicitly in their copyright determination.

> 2. There's a couple letters that I re-formatted to make look more like a
> print copy I have handy. I assume that's ok?

Yes, that's part of the point of Standard Ebooks :)

Vince Rice

May 13, 2022, 10:31:24 AM5/13/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure.

> On May 12, 2022, at 9:37 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:
>
> Vince, do you have time to review this?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1828bdac-5fb9-e245-a39e-306e990d5c83%40standardebooks.org.

Vince

May 14, 2022, 4:48:19 PM5/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Good work, Lukas! I opened an issue with a few minor formatting items, no biggies.

Lukas Bystricky

May 15, 2022, 10:59:44 AM5/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks Vince! Very detailed review.

I have a question about the verse CSS, I used the CSS from 7.2.1, I couldn't find any in verse CSS in 7.5.

For the 3em dash in Chapter 5, I obviously don't know what Austen had in mind, but I read it as standing in for a name, and as you said the dash in the scans is longer. But if you feel strongly that's it's actually an interruption I'll change it.

That's interesting that David Widger has a LoC identifier. Is that common for PG transcribers?

Vince

May 15, 2022, 4:02:32 PM5/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
That CSS is for bridgeheads (per the 7.2.11 title), not poetry/verse. The 7.5 CSS is, per the title, for poetry, verse, and songs. So the examples say “poem,” but it’s used for all three.

I don’t feel strongly about the 3em, because I don’t know what Austen had in mind, either. :) What does anyone else think? This dash following Miss—is it standing for an actual name (in which case it should be 3em), or is just a normal long sentence-ending dash, which should then be em. Since there’s no space between Miss and the dash, I took it as the latter, but a case could be made for the former.

No, as far as we know, David is the only one who has one. Starting a few versions ago, if create-draft sees his name on the PG transcription, it will automatically add it to the metadata. I’m not sure why that didn’t happen this time.

Alex Cabal

May 15, 2022, 4:08:55 PM5/15/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
It's an interruption, because there is no space between Miss and the
dash. So it should be a 1-em dash in our ebook.

On 5/15/22 3:02 PM, Vince wrote:
> That CSS is for bridgeheads (per the 7.2.11 title), not poetry/verse.
> The 7.5 CSS is, per the title, for poetry, /verse/, and songs. So the
> examples say “poem,” but it’s used for all three.
>
> I don’t feel /strongly/ about the 3em, because I don’t know what Austen
> had in mind, either. :) What does anyone else think? This dash following
> Miss—is it standing for an actual name (in which case it should be 3em),
> or is just a normal long sentence-ending dash, which should then be em.
> Since there’s no space between Miss and the dash, I took it as the
> latter, but a case could be made for the former.
>
> No, as far as we know, David is the only one who has one. Starting a few
> versions ago, if create-draft sees his name on the PG transcription, it
> will automatically add it to the metadata. I’m not sure why that didn’t
> happen this time.
>
>> On May 15, 2022, at 9:59 AM, Lukas Bystricky <lukasby...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:lukasby...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Vince! Very detailed review.
>>
>> I have a question about the verse CSS, I used the CSS from 7.2.1
>> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.6.4/single-page#7.2.11.1>, I
>> <https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001023075>, which includes
>> Jane Austen's preface. I didn't attempt to bring the PG
>> transcription in line with those scans though since there's a lot
>> of minor grammatical differences.
>> more like a print copy I have handy. I assume that's ok?
>> to be

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E9DFF897-077A-488D-B34F-6D250CD16D30%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E9DFF897-077A-488D-B34F-6D250CD16D30%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lukas Bystricky

May 15, 2022, 5:47:38 PM5/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
Ok, I've closed all the issues. Thanks again Vince!

Vince

May 15, 2022, 6:42:32 PM5/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
Excellent, Luke. I forgot to say, great cover!

That was my logic re the em-dash, Alex, glad I wasn’t off-base (this time). This is ready for you. A note: A couple of the verse in chapter one had leading em-dashes on them in the scans. I had some of those in Gibbon early-on, and you said at the time those should be changed to ellipses, so I had Luke do that as well.

François Grandjean

May 15, 2022, 8:24:46 PM5/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
Jo Churcher, who transcribed E. Nesbit’s Psammead Trilogy also has a LoC identifier.

Vince

Alex Cabal

May 16, 2022, 1:12:37 PM5/16/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Looks very good, I've gone ahead and released it.

Can you send me a direct link to the scans you used, so I don't have to
look through all of those volumes? Was there no standalone scan set for
just this book?

Vince

May 16, 2022, 1:22:56 PM5/16/22
to Standard Ebooks
It’s volume 9 (I had to look through all of them, too, for the review), and you can’t download it, it’s one of the ones that’s locked to page-at-a-time only.

I did find the same vol 9 from that set on Internet Archive here, so we might want to change to use it. I didn’t look exhaustively, but I didn’t find a good standalone version, either.

Alex Cabal

May 16, 2022, 2:10:19 PM5/16/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks. I'll update the ebook to use IA.

On 5/16/22 12:22 PM, Vince wrote:
> It’s volume 9 (I had to look through all of them, too, for the review),
> and you can’t download it, it’s one of the ones that’s locked to
> page-at-a-time only.
>
> I did find the same vol 9 from that set on Internet Archive here
> <https://archive.org/details/novelslettersofj00aust>, so we might want
> to change to use it. I didn’t look exhaustively, but I didn’t find a
> good standalone version, either.
>

>> On May 16, 2022, at 12:12 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
>> <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Looks very good, I've gone ahead and released it.
>>
>> Can you send me a direct link to the scans you used, so I don't have
>> to look through all of those volumes? Was there no standalone scan set
>> for just this book?
>>
>> On 5/13/22 9:31 AM, Vince Rice wrote:
>>> Sure.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3F194057-7C75-41F8-BC66-7E5298EDF837%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3F194057-7C75-41F8-BC66-7E5298EDF837%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lukas Bystricky

May 16, 2022, 2:17:33 PM5/16/22
to Standard Ebooks
Ah sorry, I didn't notice that actually. When I clicked on Full View in HathiTrust it took me straight to Northanger Abbey, so I assumed the catalog record would be the same. Good find Vince!

Robin Whittleton

May 20, 2022, 2:20:27 AM5/20/22
to Standard Ebooks
Tags for this are drama and satire. Typically we reserve drama purely for plays right?

-Robin

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/34c31fcc-cb2e-4452-96db-e23a4691753fn%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Cabal

May 20, 2022, 1:11:44 PM5/20/22