Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees

Jason DeCock

Jan 4, 2022, 3:10:53 PM1/4/22
to Standard Ebooks
Now that it's in the public domain, I would like to do Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees. I found scans of it on the Internet Archive, but haven't had any luck finding a transcription. Does anyone have any idea where to find it or is it just a matter of waiting for now?

Vince

Jan 4, 2022, 3:41:35 PM1/4/22
to Standard Ebooks
If the usual places don’t have it (PG, PG AU, Faded Page, Wikisource), then you can suggest it to PGDP, but as noted recently on a different book, that could take a while (months/years).

Jason DeCock

Jan 4, 2022, 3:51:31 PM1/4/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks. I checked those places, so I'll suggest it to PG and keep an eye out.

Alex Cabal

Jan 4, 2022, 6:30:57 PM1/4/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
A transcription may take quite some time, the first edition appears to
be quite rare. ($3,000 at Abebooks.)
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/912d9595-a3bf-4e59-bd57-b4fe60ca2e1cn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/912d9595-a3bf-4e59-bd57-b4fe60ca2e1cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jason DeCock

May 13, 2022, 1:24:25 PM5/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
This just popped up on PG. I'd like to work on this next. The only problem I see, though, is that I can't find scans from 1926, but the scan on archive.org shows a copyright date of 1926. Does that work?

Alex Cabal

May 13, 2022, 1:26:20 PM5/13/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that copyright page is acceptable. We wanted to do this earlier in
the year but scans weren't available yet (and maybe there was no
transcription either?)
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/912d9595-a3bf-4e59-bd57-b4fe60ca2e1cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/912d9595-a3bf-4e59-bd57-b4fe60ca2e1cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b8987013-0c9e-494f-9a64-9b3bff472414n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b8987013-0c9e-494f-9a64-9b3bff472414n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jason DeCock

May 13, 2022, 1:38:31 PM5/13/22
to Standard Ebooks

Jason DeCock

May 13, 2022, 6:37:36 PM5/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
The scans include both a dedication and an epigraph that is not in the transcription. Should I add those?

Also, the transcription includes a song at the end of the book following the conclusion that isn't in the scans. Should that be included?

Alex Cabal

May 14, 2022, 4:07:04 PM5/14/22

On 5/13/22 5:37 PM, Jason DeCock wrote:
> The scans include both a dedication and an epigraph that is not in the
> transcription. Should I add those?

Yes, you can add those

> Also, the transcription includes a song at the end of the book following
> the conclusion that isn't in the scans. Should that be included?

I suppose you can cut it if it's not in the scans

Jason DeCock

May 15, 2022, 7:25:31 PM5/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
> > Also, the transcription includes a song at the end of the book following
> > the conclusion that isn't in the scans. Should that be included?
>
> I suppose you can cut it if it's not in the scans

I'm just starting a proofread, but it appears to be the complete version of a song that has partial lyrics quoted throughout the book. The book the original transcription was from probably included it. I'll leave it up to you since I can see a case for it either way.

Jason DeCock

May 22, 2022, 9:05:39 PM5/22/22
to Standard Ebooks
For the cover I'd like to use "The Wealth of Autumn" by Andrew John Henry Way: https://www.si.edu/object/wealth-autumn:saam_1984.47

The book is about trying to uncover who is smuggling fairy fruit into the city and the fruit on the dark sky is the best representation of this that I can find.

cover.jpeg

Alex Cabal

May 22, 2022, 11:20:54 PM5/22/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, thanks!

On 5/22/22 8:05 PM, Jason DeCock wrote:
> For the cover I'd like to use "The Wealth of Autumn" by Andrew John
> Henry Way: https://www.si.edu/object/wealth-autumn:saam_1984.47
>
> The book is about trying to uncover who is smuggling fairy fruit into
> the city and the fruit on the dark sky is the best representation of
> this that I can find.
>
> cover.jpeg
>
> On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 5:25:31 PM UTC-6 Jason DeCock wrote:
>
> >> Also, the transcription includes a song at the end of the book
> following
> > > the conclusion that isn't in the scans. Should that be included?
> >
> > I suppose you can cut it if it's not in the scans
>
> I'm just starting a proofread, but it appears to be the complete
> version of a song that has partial lyrics quoted throughout the
> book. The book the original transcription was from probably included
> it. I'll leave it up to you since I can see a case for it either way.
>
> On Saturday, May 14, 2022 at 2:07:04 PM UTC-6 Alex Cabal wrote:
>

> On 5/13/22 5:37 PM, Jason DeCock wrote:
> > The scans include both a dedication and an epigraph that is
> not in the
> > transcription. Should I add those?
>
> Yes, you can add those
>

> > Also, the transcription includes a song at the end of the
> book following
> > the conclusion that isn't in the scans. Should that be included?
>
> I suppose you can cut it if it's not in the scans

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f90cc06e-f6ad-4503-9a16-bb4a55270ecen%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f90cc06e-f6ad-4503-9a16-bb4a55270ecen%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jason DeCock

May 23, 2022, 2:02:29 AM5/23/22
to Standard Ebooks
I've got a couple of words I was wondering about modernizing:
  • "paroquet" to "parakeet"
    By seven o’clock the Chanticleers’ parlour was filled with a crowd of stout, rosy, gaily-dressed guests, chattering and laughing like a flock of paroquets.
  • "spinnage" to "spinach"
    “Gammon and spinnage!” cried the Doctor, testily

François Grandjean

May 23, 2022, 9:27:42 AM5/23/22
to Standard Ebooks
I remember that Vince had a similar question about paroquet in The Count of Monte Cristo. I’ve checked the book and it was left untouched.

Vince Rice

May 23, 2022, 11:02:23 AM5/23/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Goof memory, François, but then you did all the research. :)

I was coming to reply with the same thing before I saw your reply, but I just reviewed the thread, and the last thing Alex said was, “No, we can stick with the translation and modernize the spelling.” So I should have modernized it and didn’t. Oops! Must have been distracted by the heraldic language discussion. :)

I think you’re good modernizing it, Jason, Alex will have to address the other one. I’ll submit a PR for Monte Cristo.

On May 23, 2022, at 8:27 AM, François Grandjean <francois....@gmail.com> wrote:

I remember that Vince had a similar question about paroquet in The Count of Monte Cristo. I’ve checked the book and it was left untouched.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/fdd45443-d2b9-40a5-b5ed-0932220ac64fn%40googlegroups.com.

Jason DeCock

May 23, 2022, 1:18:58 PM5/23/22
to Standard Ebooks
The same phrase of "gammon and spinnage"  is also used in the SE version of David Copperfield

Alex Cabal

May 24, 2022, 12:42:42 PM5/24/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I'll update those

On 5/23/22 12:18 PM, Jason DeCock wrote:
> The same phrase of "gammon and spinnage"  is also used in the SE version
> of /David Copperfield/
> On Monday, May 23, 2022 at 9:02:23 AM UTC-6 Vince Rice wrote:
>
> Goof memory, François, but then you did all the research. :)
>
> I was coming to reply with the same thing before I saw your reply,
> but I just reviewed the thread, and the last thing Alex said was,
> “No, we can stick with the translation and modernize the spelling.”
> So I should have modernized it and didn’t. Oops! Must have been
> distracted by the heraldic language discussion. :)
>
> I think you’re good modernizing it, Jason, Alex will have to address
> the other one. I’ll submit a PR for /Monte Cristo/.
>
>> On May 23, 2022, at 8:27 AM, François Grandjean
>> <francois....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I remember that Vince had a similar question about paroquet in
>> /The Count of Monte Cristo/. I’ve checked the book and it was left
>> untouched.
>>

>> On Monday, 23 May 2022 at 01:02:29 UTC-5 jde...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> I've got a couple of words I was wondering about modernizing:
>>
>> * "paroquet" to "parakeet"
>> /By seven o’clock the Chanticleers’ parlour was filled
>> with a crowd of stout, rosy, gaily-dressed guests,
>> chattering and laughing like a flock of paroquets. /
>> * "spinnage" to "spinach"
>> /“Gammon and spinnage!” cried the Doctor, testily /
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f90cc06e-f6ad-4503-9a16-bb4a55270ecen%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f90cc06e-f6ad-4503-9a16-bb4a55270ecen%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/fdd45443-d2b9-40a5-b5ed-0932220ac64fn%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/fdd45443-d2b9-40a5-b5ed-0932220ac64fn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9b07055d-7a00-40af-8c22-a05724ea0e42n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9b07055d-7a00-40af-8c22-a05724ea0e42n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

May 24, 2022, 12:48:13 PM5/24/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You can update paroquet. It looks fairly common so I'll add it to
modernize-spelling too.

On 5/23/22 1:02 AM, Jason DeCock wrote:
> I've got a couple of words I was wondering about modernizing:
>
> * "paroquet" to "parakeet"
> /By seven o’clock the Chanticleers’ parlour was filled with a crowd
> of stout, rosy, gaily-dressed guests, chattering and laughing like a
> flock of paroquets. /
> * "spinnage" to "spinach"
> /“Gammon and spinnage!” cried the Doctor, testily /
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5a43c7e6-ddde-461f-8ab7-adf33e36be71n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5a43c7e6-ddde-461f-8ab7-adf33e36be71n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jason DeCock

May 24, 2022, 1:58:17 PM5/24/22
to Standard Ebooks

Two things to note: I wasn't able to find any Library of Congress subject headings for this book. I also wasn't able to find a LOC entry for the artist.

Alex Cabal

May 24, 2022, 2:44:04 PM5/24/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Jason DeCock

May 28, 2022, 12:26:41 AM5/28/22
to Standard Ebooks
I just wanted to check to see if this was on the radar. I haven't heard anything yet.

Robin Whittleton

May 28, 2022, 2:00:08 AM5/28/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I’ll review this today.

On 28 May 2022, at 06:26, Jason DeCock <jde...@gmail.com> wrote:

I just wanted to check to see if this was on the radar. I haven't heard anything yet.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2c3f7732-1e7b-4187-b4af-ff2f77e493e6n%40googlegroups.com.

Robin Whittleton

May 28, 2022, 6:00:43 AM5/28/22
to Standard Ebooks
Excellent production. I’ve left 3 small issues to fix on Github. Also, we’ve recently added riband/ribband to be modernised to ribbon, but I don’t think that’s made it into a production release of the tools yet. Both of the spelling variants exist in this book, so you should probably manually make that update.

-Robin

On 28 May 2022, at 06:26, Jason DeCock <jde...@gmail.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2c3f7732-1e7b-4187-b4af-ff2f77e493e6n%40googlegroups.com.

Jason DeCock

May 28, 2022, 8:32:52 PM5/28/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks Robin. I've got those changes made.

Robin Whittleton

May 29, 2022, 7:39:47 AM5/29/22
to Standard Ebooks
Looks good! This is ready for you Alex.

Alex Cabal

May 31, 2022, 1:19:16 PM5/31/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Excellent work Jason, thanks. I've gone ahead and released it!

Note that when modernizing spelling, the script changed a character's
name from Pease -> Peas. We should reject this change since it's a
proper name.

On 5/24/22 12:58 PM, Jason DeCock wrote:
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5a43c7e6-ddde-461f-8ab7-adf33e36be71n%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5a43c7e6-ddde-461f-8ab7-adf33e36be71n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5a43c7e6-ddde-461f-8ab7-adf33e36be71n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a74a3793-a708-457a-98e9-667e70a6d9abn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a74a3793-a708-457a-98e9-667e70a6d9abn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Grigg

May 31, 2022, 8:49:12 PM5/31/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Is that a correct change even when it’s not a name? I’m from Northern England, and pease as in “pease pudding hot, pease pudding cold” is a distinct dish from peas.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/fa99e10c-d9e2-d8df-abcf-c0ebfc670d14%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

May 31, 2022, 8:51:00 PM5/31/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

randbr...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2022, 1:16:00 PM6/10/22
to Standard Ebooks
Glad to see this one appearing. I think I suggested doing it a few years ago and was stymied by its questionable copyright status.

How did you arrive at a decision about where to place the line breaks in the first chapter? It seems like every edition I've read, including yours, the one on PG, and the ones being printed today, all have different opinions on which ones are meant to be there.

Jason DeCock

Jun 10, 2022, 1:35:33 PM6/10/22
to Standard Ebooks
I used the ones in the scan I found: https://archive.org/details/ludinthemist00mirr_0