Renumber endnotes request

Vince

May 13, 2022, 9:39:22 PM5/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
David (Grigg), are you still the one maintaining renumber endnotes?

In Gibbon, I have both endnotes on endnotes, and endnotes referring to other endnotes. IOW…

<li id=“note-14-3” epub:type=“endnote”>
</li>

<li id=“note-14-3-A” epub:type=“endnote”>
</li>

<li id=“note-18-27” epub:type=“endnote”>
</li>

What I was hoping would happen is that when renumber endnotes renumbered all three endnotes, it would also catch that the reference in 18-27 also needed to be corrected. Alas, it did not. And there may be a good technical reason why it can't. But if it can, and just doesn’t, then this is a plea that it would. :) I have upwards of 50 of these, which I can obviously do manually, but would rather not. (It’s very manual—I have to search for the note id in an old version, then find that note's text in the new version, to give me the xref for old ID to new ID, update the reference, and do all that for each of the 50.)

All of my references like this are in endnotes, but it’s theoretically possible that text in one of the chapters could also refer to a note, so if something can be done, it should be done on all files, not just the endnotes file.

And if nothing can be done, then I’ll start on my manual process. :)

David Grigg

May 13, 2022, 10:45:19 PM5/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
Vince:

I need the same facility for Boswell to change references to endnotes (eg "see this note"). In my case there are many hundreds of such. In fact have done the required coding. But I was reluctant to do a pull request untill I'd tested it out further at my end. If you'd like to test it that would be great!

I'll set up a new branch which you can merge and let me know how it goes.

Cheers, David

Vince

May 13, 2022, 11:38:55 PM5/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
Ooh, perfect, thank you!

David Grigg

May 14, 2022, 2:31:33 AM5/14/22
to Standard Ebooks
Here's the link to the branch. I tested it on Clarissa and it seems fine. But a robust test on Gibbon would be excellent.

https://github.com/standardebooks/tools/tree/replace_changed_endnote_refs