[First project] The Able McLaughlins, by Margaret Wilson

John Rambow

Nov 15, 2021, 1:48:40 PM11/15/21
to Standard Ebooks
Hi there, I'd like to give this one a go, for Midwest representation. It's on the "wanted list."

I'm an editor by trade, but have a bunch to learn about the technical side -- and looking forward to improving as I go.

I have gone through most of the steps for making a book,  using Dr. Jekyll as practice, and everything seemed to work. Right now I'm using Ubuntu for the tools, and Sublime Text (Windows) as the editor.

By the way, I see that Northanger Abbey is on the wanted list, but it looks like someone claimed that a couple weeks ago. If it's actually in play again, I'd love to take that on . . .

Alex Cabal

Nov 15, 2021, 3:43:09 PM11/15/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, that one would be a good start.

This one should be pretty straightforward. You can remove all of the
page numbers in one go using a regex. Make sure to also remove the small
caps opening each chapter, and remove the word 'chapter' from the headers.

Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting,
as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
particular, please closely review the semantics, high level patterns,
and typography sections:

https://standardebooks.org/manual

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography

The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:

https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
whatever problem you've encountered.

When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
that I can mark you as having started.

Have fun! :)
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/38bfded8-c80e-4564-936f-ffba7093391dn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/38bfded8-c80e-4564-936f-ffba7093391dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

John Rambow

Nov 17, 2021, 10:09:38 AM11/17/21
to Standard Ebooks
OK, great. Thanks for the links.

John Rambow

Nov 23, 2021, 9:52:49 AM11/23/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi there  -- I had a question about formatting quotes. The book's style is to sometimes start a new indented paragraph for dialogue, even when it's been introduced with a comma or a semicolon. A couple examples are below -- you can see the commas and semicolons at the end of lines.

1) if this were a new book, I'd probably have the quotes follow the comma directly (e.g., --> asked, lonesomely, "Where's mother?"<p> But as it is, I'm inclined to leave the formatting. Please let me know if you'd rather I more the quoted parts up so that they come directly after the commas.

2) The semicolon usage to introduce dialogue looks a bit odd to me, though you get used to it. But please let me know if you'd like them changed to commas, which would be more usual.

image.png

image.png

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/268fca1f-f16d-42f3-9db4-0f269c856a7an%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Cabal

Nov 24, 2021, 12:21:47 PM11/24/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I think you can leave both of those as-is. This looks more like a prose
style thing.

On 11/23/21 8:52 AM, John Rambow wrote:
> [...]
> <mailto:ram...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> OK, great. Thanks for the links.
>
> Here is the book repos:
>
> https://github.com/johnrambow/margaret-wilson_the-able-mclaughlins
> <https://github.com/johnrambow/margaret-wilson_the-able-mclaughlins>
>

> On Monday, November 15, 2021 at 3:43:09 PM UTC-5 Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> Sure, that one would be a good start.
>
> This one should be pretty straightforward. You can remove all of
> the
> page numbers in one go using a regex. Make sure to also remove
> the small
> caps opening each chapter, and remove the word 'chapter' from
> the headers.
>
> Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before
> starting,
> as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
> particular, please closely review the semantics, high level

John Rambow

Nov 28, 2021, 2:13:24 PM11/28/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, thank you!

Here's a cover image that I think would work. It's a crop of a George Inness painting that the Art Institute has designated CC0

after a summer shower crop.jpg

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/530ef573-0731-5d25-1a80-e2027896bb09%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Nov 28, 2021, 3:21:39 PM11/28/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That works, thanks!

On 11/28/21 1:13 PM, John Rambow wrote:
> [...]
> >

> >     --

> >     To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an
> email to
> > standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >     <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/268fca1f-f16d-42f3-9db4-0f269c856a7an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/268fca1f-f16d-42f3-9db4-0f269c856a7an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

John Rambow

Nov 29, 2021, 5:20:50 PM11/29/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, I am very close to submitting for review.

I got lint to run with no errors, but when I ran se build --check-only ., I got the following error:

/mnt/c/Users/jdram/AppData/Roaming/npm/ace: 12: node: not found
 Error  ace failed.

I'm not super-technical, but does this have something to do with a permission? Or something I need to install? Any advice appreciated! I did make sure that I was running the latest version of the tools.

****
Just in any case, here are the github files, which are synced:

Production notes:

* Transcriptions seemed very clean; I updated some spellings as I proofed.
* Is there any way to make an exception to house style so that the C in "McLaughlins" can be lowercased on the cover? The name appears a little hard to read in all caps.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ff9d8905-1b74-0391-af72-3d8f8945315f%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Nov 29, 2021, 8:17:09 PM11/29/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You have `ace` installed somewhere, so `se build --check` tries to call
it to confirm you have no ACE issues. But, you `ace` installation is
broken, so things are falling apart. You should either fix your `ace`
installation or remove it from your path.

On 11/29/21 4:20 PM, John Rambow wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >      >
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g9uzpwJC40wVpsRCoiHaazK7tUWD_cwCju3KHxcHfwPgA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g9uzpwJC40wVpsRCoiHaazK7tUWD_cwCju3KHxcHfwPgA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g9uzpwJC40wVpsRCoiHaazK7tUWD_cwCju3KHxcHfwPgA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g9uzpwJC40wVpsRCoiHaazK7tUWD_cwCju3KHxcHfwPgA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.

John Rambow

Dec 1, 2021, 4:26:02 PM12/1/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com

I haven't yet conquered the error messages evidently connected to the ace by daisy installation*.

I'll keep working on it, but at this point it seems as if the book is in shape to be reviewed. Lint runs without errors, as does se build without the --check-only flag.

Production notes:

* Transcriptions seemed very clean; I updated some spellings as I proofed.
* Is there any way to make an exception to house style so that the C in "McLaughlins" can be lowercased on the cover? The name appears a little hard to read when the "Mc" part is in all caps and not set apart.

PDFs

* I tried to move ace out of my path, and then got this new error message when running se build with the flag.

flag provided but not defined: -silent
Usage:
  ace [options] [base.ace] [inner.ace]

  -lineno
        output formatted HTML with line numbers
  -no-format
        output HTML without format
 Error  ace failed.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/12fcff47-1ab6-418f-4cc0-88bcdabea9e5%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Dec 2, 2021, 4:44:01 PM12/2/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Robin, do you have time to review this?

On 12/1/21 3:25 PM, John Rambow wrote:

> [...]
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8q8L0p5csO3kzs398jE8G51PeQ%3D2foyiUMFBv390rM1g%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8q8L0p5csO3kzs398jE8G51PeQ%3D2foyiUMFBv390rM1g%40mail.gmail.com>>
> >     <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >     To view this discussion on the web visit
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ff9d8905-1b74-0391-af72-3d8f8945315f%40standardebooks.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ff9d8905-1b74-0391-af72-3d8f8945315f%40standardebooks.org>
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ff9d8905-1b74-0391-af72-3d8f8945315f%40standardebooks.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ff9d8905-1b74-0391-af72-3d8f8945315f%40standardebooks.org>>.

Robin Whittleton

Dec 2, 2021, 5:07:05 PM12/2/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, give me a day.

> On 2 Dec 2021, at 22:44, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:
>
> Robin, do you have time to review this?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4e4b45e6-3648-ca60-20dc-fa58b845dc82%40standardebooks.org.

Robin Whittleton

Dec 3, 2021, 3:45:45 PM12/3/21
to Standard Ebooks
OK, I’ve filed some minor issues at https://github.com/johnrambow/margaret-wilson_the-able-mclaughlins/issues . As well as those:

  • Can you run typogrify again and commit any changes? I’m seeing three on my machine.
  • There’s a bunch of semantic changes (<i> -> <em>) fixed in with some [Editorial] changes. This is a bit of a problem, as we provide the [Editorial] flag so that people can theoretically undo (or at least track) the changes we make that deviate the production from the original. Alex: should these be rebased?

-Robin

Alex Cabal

Dec 3, 2021, 4:01:48 PM12/3/21
On 12/3/21 2:45 PM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
> * There’s a bunch of semantic changes (<i> -> <em>) fixed in with some
> [Editorial] changes. This is a bit of a problem, as we provide the
> [Editorial] flag so that people can theoretically undo (or at least
> track) the changes we make that deviate the production from the
> original. Alex: should these be rebased?

Yes, we don't want those mixed in

John Rambow

Dec 3, 2021, 4:57:23 PM12/3/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, thank you for your careful look at the files.

I'll go over everything over the next few days.

Alex Cabal

Dec 17, 2021, 1:15:53 PM12/17/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi John, have you had a chance to wrap this up?

On 12/3/21 3:57 PM, John Rambow wrote:
> OK, thank you for your careful look at the files.
>

> I'll go over everything over the next few days.
>

> On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 3:45 PM Robin Whittleton <ro...@reala.net
> <mailto:ro...@reala.net>> wrote:
>
> OK, I’ve filed some minor issues at
> https://github.com/johnrambow/margaret-wilson_the-able-mclaughlins/issues
> <https://github.com/johnrambow/margaret-wilson_the-able-mclaughlins/issues> .
> As well as those:
>
> * Can you run typogrify again and commit any changes? I’m seeing
> three on my machine.
> * There’s a bunch of semantic changes (<i> -> <em>) fixed in with
> some [Editorial] changes. This is a bit of a problem, as we
> provide the [Editorial] flag so that people can theoretically
> undo (or at least track) the changes we make that deviate the
> production from the original. Alex: should these be rebased?
>

> -Robin
>
>> On 2 Dec 2021, at 23:07, Robin Whittleton <ro...@reala.net
>> <mailto:ro...@reala.net>> wrote:
>>
>> Sure, give me a day.
>>
>>> On 2 Dec 2021, at 22:44, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
>>> <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Robin, do you have time to review this?

>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4e4b45e6-3648-ca60-20dc-fa58b845dc82%40standardebooks.org
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4e4b45e6-3648-ca60-20dc-fa58b845dc82%40standardebooks.org>.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/97673C71-1554-4A24-BA08-B6152EDB4AE1%40reala.net
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/97673C71-1554-4A24-BA08-B6152EDB4AE1%40reala.net>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/B97058F9-AA78-48E3-BCF2-9B5AF240D256%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/B97058F9-AA78-48E3-BCF2-9B5AF240D256%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g-iLRovSwVHOGC0Je6-Y9Mpw_jDwsWZazQY9gFjtFtEWQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g-iLRovSwVHOGC0Je6-Y9Mpw_jDwsWZazQY9gFjtFtEWQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

John Rambow

Dec 17, 2021, 3:03:19 PM12/17/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

Thanks for checking in. I've been working on a duped repository to try to bend rebasing and git to my will, but it hasn't worked so far. I've been reading up, but I'm in over my head.

I can try to lay out what I need to do in an email later this week, because I'll need some advice on how to get it done. Basically there are two editorial commits in which I changed italics to <em>. I presume I need to create new noneditorial commits to include those changes, and then rebase.

Thanks,

John

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/fdf3276f-66bc-1cd2-4425-dd57a4834038%40standardebooks.org.

Vince

Dec 17, 2021, 4:04:08 PM12/17/21
to Standard Ebooks
It is a little daunting at first, but it’s not too difficult once you’ve done it a time or two.

You’re already working on a copy of the repository, so that’s good. Always do that. :)

An interactive rebase allows you to essentially rewind git to the point immediately after a commit, make any changes you want to that commit and amend it, then play forward the remaining commits. (It lets you do other things as well, but all we need to worry about right now is editing a commit.)

So, e.g., if you want to split your 3beef22 commit into two commits, you would use the following command (you specify the commit before the one you want to change):
git rebase -i 415f7a0

That will bring up your chosen editor with a list of all of the commits from the next one forward, with the oldest one (the one you want to change) at the top. There are comments at the bottom of the editor that tell you all of your choices, but in this case, you want to change the first word on that first line (3beef22) from “pick” to “edit”, because you want to edit, i.e. change, that commit. Then save the file. You’ll be back at the command line, and git will have showed instructions for what to do, i.e. make changes and amend the commit, then do a git rebase --continue to play forward the remaining commits.

Then, do a git rebase --continue to play forward everything else. Note that it’s possible that changes to the commit will cause downstream issues. If that happens, git will stop at whatever commit it happens on and tell you to resolve the merge differences before continuing. One or more files will have the “>>>>” “======“ “<<<<<“ markers that indicate before and after; these are instances where a change was made to the same paragraph (line) in a later commit that was modified in the changes above. So, if the line before said, “This is a letter.”, and you changed it above to be “This is the letter.”, but then another commit later changed it to “This is a telegram.”, that’s going to cause a merge difference, because the later change should now be “This is the telegram.” The file contains both the before and after (hence the markers); you just need to make the appropriate changes to whichever one is easier, then get rid of the other one and the markers. You’ll need to add the file(s), commit the change, then do another continue. It’s possible you might have to do that more than once, depending on how extensive the changes were in the original edit, and how often affected lines were changed by later commits.

Once the continue finishes, you’re back at the present, git-wise, and you can then make any other changes you want, including the changes you backed out from the commit above.

Rinse and repeat for any other commits that need to be edited.

A couple of notes:
  • We don’t generally mess with dashes that modernize-spelling doesn’t correct. We also generally don’t worry too much about words that are variants in M-W, e.g. gayly. So, in this particular case, the non-italic changes in 3beef22 aren’t necessary. They aren’t bad, just not necessary. :)
  • A couple of the other commits have commit messages that don’t reflect what was actually done in the commit. For example, 83e185c says “removed hyphens from adverbs ending in ly before noun, etc.”, but that’s not what is in that commit. Also, that commit includes a word change (gunstalks to gunstocks) that, if it should be made at all (are we sure that wasn’t intentional?), should be editorial. So:
    • You might revisit the non-editorial commits and ensure there aren’t any editorial changes in them (you’re already looking at the opposite), and
    • As you’re looking through everything, you might also make sure that each commit message reflects the content of the commit.

Good luck!

On Dec 17, 2021, at 2:03 PM, John Rambow <ram...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Alex,

Thanks for checking in. I've been working on a duped repository to try to bend rebasing and git to my will, but it hasn't worked so far. I've been reading up, but I'm in over my head.

I can try to lay out what I need to do in an email later this week, because I'll need some advice on how to get it done. Basically there are two editorial commits in which I changed italics to <em>. I presume I need to create new noneditorial commits to include those changes, and then rebase.

John Rambow

Dec 20, 2021, 5:22:04 PM12/20/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the careful notes, Vince, they're very helpful.

I'll keep working on my test version, and will try to get the real version's commits updated before the end of the year.

John Rambow

Jan 4, 2022, 12:08:26 AM1/4/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I had a couple questions I was hoping for some help with.

1) I've been playing through various rebases using a dupe of my repository. When I do them, i always create additional branches, which I can see in Sublime Merge. I thought avoiding creating additional branches was the whole point of rebasing, so this makes me question whether I'm doing things right.

Below is an example, pasted in from Sublime Merge. The first commit in the lowest blue square was updated (its description changed) -- and it appears as the lowest blue square. But the older purple commits are all still there. (The two branches separated, of course, at the last commit before I made changes.) Is that the expected behavior?

2) I'm confused about the commit add command. Should it be git add -A, to add all the files that have been updated in the text editor?

This is the what the workflow seems like it should be, starting, after after I "pick" the commit to edit in the text editor:
[close file in text editor]
git ci --amend
[back in text editor; edit the "following" commit, the first one listed and save]
git add -A [which specifies you want to commit all the files that have changed, not just some]
git rebase --continue
[then deal with any merge conflicts -- I've been using Sublime Merge, and the correct version is always the versions on the "left," which has changes I made previously in other commits ]

3) Speaking of the merge conflicts, some documentation seems to talk about seeing conflicts actually in the text editor, but I'm not sure how to pull that up -- do I just start opening files? Sublime Merge seems to show any conflicts, however, so I've been using that to choose which version of files to use, which is always the one that includes my changes, obvs.

Thank you, and Happy New Year to all.

image.png

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 4:04 PM Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org> wrote:
[...]

Then, do aF to play forward everything else. Note that it’s possible that changes to the commit will cause downstream issues. If that happens, git will stop at whatever commit it happens on and tell you to resolve the merge differences before continuing. One or more files will have the “>>>>” “======“ “<<<<<“ markers that indicate before and after; these are instances where a change was made to the same paragraph (line) in a later commit that was modified in the changes above. So, if the line before said, “This is a letter.”, and you changed it above to be “This is the letter.”, but then another commit later changed it to “This is a telegram.”, that’s going to cause a merge difference, because the later change should now be “This is the telegram.” The file contains both the before and after (hence the markers); you just need to make the appropriate changes to whichever one is easier, then get rid of the other one and the markers. You’ll need to add the file(s), commit the change, then do another continue. It’s possible you might have to do that more than once, depending on how extensive the changes were in the original edit, and how often affected lines were changed by later commits.

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 1:15 PM Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:
Hi John, have you had a chance to wrap this up?

Vince

Jan 4, 2022, 12:34:38 AM1/4/22
to Standard Ebooks
Sorry, can’t help with Sublime Merge, I don’t have it and have never used it. I use command line git, so that’s all I can speak to.

After you’ve started the interactive rebase, chosen the commit you want to edit and it’s dropped you into that “time slot,” i.e. the moment in time immediately after that commit was committed, that’s where you edit the files, add them to the commit with add -A, and then do an amended commit, e.g. git commit --amend. It does not create any branches. (Maybe Sublime is showing them as a branch, but they aren’t really branches? What does git branch show? If it shows branches then we’re back to my first statement above. :) )

Re merge conflicts, again, no idea how it works in Sublime, but with command line git, the command line itself will tell you when it has merge conflicts. After you resume with --continue, it will fast forward until it gets to a commit that has a merge conflict, and tell you everything you need to know on the command line.

On Dec 31, 2021, at 9:29 AM, John Rambow <ram...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Matt Chan

Jan 4, 2022, 12:23:39 PM1/4/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I use sublime merge and I think what might have happened here is the direction of your rebasing. Rebasing is confusing and the way I keep it clear in my head is that it is essentially the same as merging branches, except it "rewrites history" and pretends the two branches to be merged were sequential all along. (Below figure lifted from git documentations)
          A---B---C topic*
         /
    D---E---F---G master
Here you have two branches, "master" and "topic".
Say you are on the topic branch (hence the * ), and you want to merge by the way of rebasing.
What you would probably want to do is to rebase the "topic" branch onto the "master" branch.
The "topic" branch will have a NEW base, hence "rebasing".
The command will be (again assuming you are ON the "topic" branch):
git rebase master
You will have moved all the commits on the "topic" branch, "A", "B", and "C", on top of the master branch ("G"):
                  A'--B'--C' topic
                 /
    D---E---F---G master
Several things: "A", "B", and "C" on the original "topic" branch is updated to A', B', and C'.
This is because it now contains all the chances from the master branch.
Discrepancies between D, E, F, G and A, B, C that cannot be resolved automatically are "merge conflicts."
You'll have to go in and tell git manually if you want to keep the change from the "master" branch or from the "topic" branch.
Hopefully this makes it clearer.
As for workflow, here's what I usually do (not prescriptive, obviously):

D---E---F---G master
Here is what the branch looks like before I make any changes.
D---E---F---G---(untracked changes) master
Once I make some changes to one or more files, this is what's going to show up on git cli or sublime merge.
Git has detected some changes in the local repo, but it's not tracking it.
What this means is that if you do a "commit" now, nothing is "saved" to the branch.
In fact, if you try to commit now, git will say there is "nothing to commit."
Now, you can issue the commend:
git add -A
And git will know to start tracking all the files that have been changed (-A for all):

D---E---F---G---(tracked changes) master
Now you can issue a commit command:
git commit -m "This is a commit message."
Which will results in a NEW commit that details all the changes since commit "G":

D---E---F---G---H master What I was saying earlier is that you might have been on the wrong branch when you issued the rebase command, or maybe you specified the wrong branch name for the branch to rebase to.

If you want, you can include more screenshots of SMerge, and I can try to help more from there.

John Rambow

Jan 5, 2022, 9:52:31 AM1/5/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Super, thank you both for your help. I went through the process on the practice files yet again,  and I think that what Sublime Merge was showing me was that I had diverged from what was in the remote repository, in Github. (I'd copied my original files to a separate folder to practice on them, but the relationship with Github and the remote files there was maintained.)

Anyway, I did a small rebase to change an inaccurate title of a commit, and it looks like it worked! I'll keep working on the other fixes, and should be done this week. And it it doesn't fly, I do have a backup. . .

John

Matt Chan

Jan 5, 2022, 9:59:16 AM1/5/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Ah yes, I missed that; any branches labeled this way "origin/branch-name" are remote. Note that by convention remote repo of personal forks are usually named origin, they can in fact be named anything. If you know FOR SURE what you have locally is what you want, you can always do a force push to override what you have on the remote with what you have in your local. But note that this is a dangerous practice (even though it's common.)

John Rambow

Jan 12, 2022, 2:06:59 PM1/12/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, it took a while, but I have rebased the repo, moving noneditorial changes involving <i> tags to their own commits, and trying to smooth out a few other commits.

Hopefully this will fly. Thanks for your help and patience.

I left the editorial change of "gunstalk" to "gunstock," and "scon" to "scone," though of course I can change them back.

* "Gunstalk" is not in M-W or the OED, so it might be regional. "Gunstock" is in M-W unabridged.

* Scon isn't in M-W either, though it does appear as an alternate, earlier spelling in the OED.

Alex Cabal

Jan 12, 2022, 6:06:24 PM1/12/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Robin does everything look good?
> [...]
>> that are variants in M-W, e.g. gayly. So, in
>> this particular case, the non-italic changes
>> in 3beef22 aren’t necessary. They aren’t/bad/,
>> just not necessary. :)
>> * A couple of the other commits have commit
>> messages that don’t reflect what was actually
>> done in the commit. For example, 83e185c says
>> “removed hyphens from adverbs ending in ly
>> before noun, etc.”, but that’s not what is in
>> that commit. Also, that commit includes a word
>> change (gunstalks to gunstocks) that, if it
>> should be made at all (are we sure that wasn’t
>> intentional?), should be editorial. So:
>> o You might revisit the non-editorial
>> commits and ensure there aren’t any
>> editorial changes in them (you’re already
>> looking at the opposite), and
>> o As you’re looking through everything, you
>> might also make sure that each commit
>> message reflects the content of the commit.

Robin Whittleton

Jan 13, 2022, 12:51:23 PM1/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
Yep! typogrify and clean are making one small change each, and lint is throwing one error about accessibility, but I think these are changes since the last production standardebooks release so maybe you can fix them when releasing it?

-Robin
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/24a59b3d-a844-2724-62be-3e496a1c9dc2%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Jan 13, 2022, 12:53:05 PM1/13/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes I'll take care of it. Thanks!

Alex Cabal

Jan 13, 2022, 1:42:12 PM1/13/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Alex Cabal

Jan 13, 2022, 1:43:00 PM1/13/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, great work John. Good attention to the direction of quotation marks,
and where punctuation goes in relation. Also very good long description.

I've gone ahead and released it. Thanks!

John Rambow

Jan 14, 2022, 6:04:18 PM1/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! It was fun -- A challenge, but fun!

Alex Cabal

Jan 14, 2022, 6:07:13 PM1/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
It gets much easier after the first few ebooks. Do enough of them and
you can knock out a moderate difficulty book in an hour or so (excepting
proofing of course).