[Next project] Riceyman Steps

John Rambow

Apr 29, 2022, 7:52:09 AM4/29/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I'd like to do another Bennett, "Riceyman Steps," about miserly booksellers.

Here's the PG transcription:

Alex Cabal

Apr 29, 2022, 11:19:15 AM4/29/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK! Looks like the big work here will be converting book names from
quotes to italics.
> <https://archive.org/details/riceymansteps0000unse/page/38/mode/2up>

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g99WRA3bXL8O_Qi8Ar5Ds2%2BP-oy%3D2XD3m%2BHBXJbz2VrTg%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g99WRA3bXL8O_Qi8Ar5Ds2%2BP-oy%3D2XD3m%2BHBXJbz2VrTg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

John Rambow

May 6, 2022, 11:13:17 AM5/6/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/57a37bbc-703c-05f8-6373-e09570f14e50%40standardebooks.org.

John Rambow

May 19, 2022, 5:12:18 PM5/19/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I'm moving along with this, and have a question about a letter. In the scans, it's set as dialogue, with quotes, since one character is reading the letter to another. I'm assuming I should remove quotes and do it as a blockquote, right? It's halfway there already . . .

image.png

Vince

May 19, 2022, 5:23:04 PM5/19/22
to Standard Ebooks
It definitely should be a blockquote, but since it’s being read out loud (thus making it dialogue), the quotes stay.

(I would be tempted to remove the inner single quotes, but I suspect Alex would disagree.)

On May 19, 2022, at 4:12 PM, John Rambow <ram...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm moving along with this, and have a question about a letter. In the scans, it's set as dialogue, with quotes, since one character is reading the letter to another. I'm assuming I should remove quotes and do it as a blockquote, right? It's halfway there already . . .

<image.png>

John Rambow

May 23, 2022, 5:55:12 PM5/23/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Keeping both sets of quotes in a blockquote/extract would make for three levels of quotation, though. But it's just two.

I agree with you-- one set of quotes seems like enough here, if we do want to keep a set inside the blockquote to make it crystal-clear that it's still part of the dialogue.

Vince

May 23, 2022, 6:14:26 PM5/23/22
to Standard Ebooks
The blockquote is not a level of quotation with respect to quotemarks—a blockquote can be a lot of things other than spoken dialog. This is why I like to differentiate between a letter read out loud (with quotes) and one that isn’t (without quotes).

The inner quotes are an editorial decision—a letter is being read, so the outer quotes are for the person speaking, and the inner quotes are for the person who wrote the letter. While I consider the inner quotes unnecessary, and in most cases other (book) editors agree since they are rarely used, there are isolated cases like this where we see the inner quotes. I don’t know Alex’s position on them, as I don’t remember it coming up here before.

Alex Cabal

May 24, 2022, 12:53:02 PM5/24/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I think it's fine - because it's a matter of style and varies across
books we generally don't adjust quotation marks in blockquotes.

On 5/23/22 5:14 PM, Vince wrote:
> The blockquote is not a level of quotation with respect to quotemarks—a
> blockquote can be a lot of things other than spoken dialog. This is why
> I like to differentiate between a letter read out loud (with quotes) and
> one that isn’t (without quotes).
>
> The inner quotes are an editorial decision—a letter is being read, so
> the outer quotes are for the person speaking, and the inner quotes are
> for the person who wrote the letter. While /I /consider the inner quotes
> unnecessary, and in most cases other (book) editors agree since they are
> rarely used, there are isolated cases like this where we see the inner
> quotes. I don’t know Alex’s position on them, as I don’t remember it
> coming up here before.
>

>> On May 23, 2022, at 4:54 PM, John Rambow <ram...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:ram...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Keeping both sets of quotes in a blockquote/extract would make for
>> three levels of quotation, though. But it's just two.
>>
>> I agree with you-- one set of quotes seems like enough here, if we do
>> want to keep a set inside the blockquote to make it crystal-clear that
>> it's still part of the dialogue.
>>

>> On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 5:23 PM Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org
>> <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org>> wrote:
>>
>> It definitely should be a blockquote, but since it’s being read
>> out loud (thus making it dialogue), the quotes stay.
>>
>> (I would be tempted to remove the inner single quotes, but I
>> suspect Alex would disagree.)
>>
>>> On May 19, 2022, at 4:12 PM, John Rambow <ram...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:ram...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm moving along with this, and have a question about a letter.
>>> In the scans, it's set as dialogue, with quotes, since one
>>> character is reading the letter to another. I'm assuming I should
>>> remove quotes and do it as a blockquote, right? It's halfway
>>> there already . . .
>>>

>>> https://archive.org/details/riceymansteps0000unse/page/248/mode/2up
>>> <https://archive.org/details/riceymansteps0000unse/page/248/mode/2up>
>>>
>>> <image.png>

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0E4F1AFB-A72E-458F-845B-BC1781D9ADAE%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0E4F1AFB-A72E-458F-845B-BC1781D9ADAE%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

John Rambow

May 29, 2022, 9:35:16 AM5/29/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, I left alone those quotes inside the blockquotes.

Here's a potential cover using "Suspense," by Walter Sickert. It's intended to show the bookseller's servant, who's a major character in the book.

PD proof: (page 23)

The scan had to be enlarged by about 10% to reach a height of 2100 pixels. It looks OK, IMHO, but I wanted to mention.

image.png

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/55794b78-8b57-a6ee-1e77-ccb7316399df%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

May 29, 2022, 10:33:21 PM5/29/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Looks good, thanks!

On 5/29/22 8:35 AM, John Rambow wrote:
> OK, I left alone those quotes inside the blockquotes.
>
> Here's a potential cover using "Suspense," by Walter Sickert
> <https://www.nmni.com/collections/art/paintings/belumu490>. It's
> intended to show the bookseller's servant, who's a major character in
> the book.
>
> PD proof: (page 23)
>
> https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_International_Studio/w8MzAQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=suspense%20sickert
> <https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_International_Studio/w8MzAQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=suspense%20sickert>
>
> The scan had to be enlarged by about 10% to reach a height of 2100
> pixels. It looks OK, IMHO, but I wanted to mention.
>

> >> <mailto:ram...@gmail.com <mailto:ram...@gmail.com>>> wrote:
> >>
> >> Keeping both sets of quotes in a blockquote/extract would make for
> >> three levels of quotation, though. But it's just two.
> >>
> >> I agree with you-- one set of quotes seems like enough here, if
> we do
> >> want to keep a set inside the blockquote to make it
> crystal-clear that
> >> it's still part of the dialogue.
> >>

> >> On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 5:23 PM Vince
> <vr_se...@letterboxes.org <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org>
> >> <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org
> <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org>>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     It definitely should be a blockquote, but since it’s being read
> >>     out loud (thus making it dialogue), the quotes stay.
> >>
> >>     (I would be tempted to remove the inner single quotes, but I
> >>     suspect Alex would disagree.)

> <mailto:ram...@gmail.com>

> should
> >>>

> https://archive.org/details/riceymansteps0000unse/page/248/mode/2up
> <https://archive.org/details/riceymansteps0000unse/page/248/mode/2up>
> >>>
>  <https://archive.org/details/riceymansteps0000unse/page/248/mode/2up <https://archive.org/details/riceymansteps0000unse/page/248/mode/2up>>

> > --
> send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0E4F1AFB-A72E-458F-845B-BC1781D9ADAE%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0E4F1AFB-A72E-458F-845B-BC1781D9ADAE%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/55794b78-8b57-a6ee-1e77-ccb7316399df%40standardebooks.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/55794b78-8b57-a6ee-1e77-ccb7316399df%40standardebooks.org>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8NvkzeMu967S-8j%3DKr1LjaG%3Dny85miX-BbM0hZ9JW2ew%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8NvkzeMu967S-8j%3DKr1LjaG%3Dny85miX-BbM0hZ9JW2ew%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

John Rambow

May 31, 2022, 10:22:53 AM5/31/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great -- this book is ready for review.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6ec198f2-7668-bfef-8ec8-0571641ff8f3%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

May 31, 2022, 12:41:57 PM5/31/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Robin, do you have time to review this?
> > <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org
> >     <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>
> >      > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >     <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>>.
> >     <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>.
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8NvkzeMu967S-8j%3DKr1LjaG%3Dny85miX-BbM0hZ9JW2ew%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8NvkzeMu967S-8j%3DKr1LjaG%3Dny85miX-BbM0hZ9JW2ew%40mail.gmail.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8NvkzeMu967S-8j%3DKr1LjaG%3Dny85miX-BbM0hZ9JW2ew%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8NvkzeMu967S-8j%3DKr1LjaG%3Dny85miX-BbM0hZ9JW2ew%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6ec198f2-7668-bfef-8ec8-0571641ff8f3%40standardebooks.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6ec198f2-7668-bfef-8ec8-0571641ff8f3%40standardebooks.org>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8UCqygwPT0k9CQUqGN_C%2BBLN-epx%2BFKHekKDR%2BtN5jiw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFu_-g8UCqygwPT0k9CQUqGN_C%2BBLN-epx%2BFKHekKDR%2BtN5jiw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

May 31, 2022, 1:55:22 PM5/31/22
to Standard Ebooks
Sure.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/922d616b-2e7d-24fd-ef87-84603ded7177%40standardebooks.org.

Robin Whittleton

May 31, 2022, 4:26:19 PM5/31/22
to Standard Ebooks
Great production, well done. I’ve logged a few simple issues to Github, but nothing non-trivial.

One thing that’s worth querying: there’s quite a lot of editorial spelling changes after the default modernize-spelling. I don’t disagree with any of them particularly, but how are you deciding on these?

-Robin

John Rambow

Jun 1, 2022, 5:32:48 PM6/1/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Super, thanks for your help, Robin.

For the Chamber of Horrors sign, I was a little unsure about changing it to <q>. It seemed as if it should be treated like the want ad text, in that they are both in quotes and in italics, but not thoughts. So I left the sign for <i> for now, but obvs. can easily fix it.

As far as the editorial spelling changes go, I concentrated on words that appeared up a lot in the book, and esp. those that actually have entries in Merriam-Webster, like drawing room and front door and backyard.

Robin Whittleton

Jun 2, 2022, 1:26:06 PM6/2/22
to Standard Ebooks

Alex Cabal

Jun 2, 2022, 3:40:27 PM6/2/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great work John, everything looks good. I've gone ahead and released it,
thanks!