Request for reviee

David Zitzelsberger

Jan 3, 2022, 10:46:49 AM1/3/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I think I'm ready for a review of "The Skylark of Space".

As this is my first book I'm not sure if there's other information I should be providing or if my GitHub repository is sufficient to begin the review.

Thank you.

Alex Cabal

Jan 3, 2022, 3:18:15 PM1/3/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Bruce, do you have time to review this?
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFOpp_%3Dnr1n3y-K2%3D1jDPemBP4rAA%3DZ6pukZEnaPhtM1_zwK7g%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAFOpp_%3Dnr1n3y-K2%3D1jDPemBP4rAA%3DZ6pukZEnaPhtM1_zwK7g%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

B Keith

Jan 3, 2022, 5:15:17 PM1/3/22
to Standard Ebooks
Sure I can likely get to it tomorrow

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1d22c72f-c6a0-4807-3957-d72d8d729044%40standardebooks.org.

B Keith

Jan 4, 2022, 10:59:34 AM1/4/22
to Standard Ebooks
Morning David,

Could I get you to run typogrify and clean again before I start the review. It makes a ton of changes…

Bruce

David Zitzelsberger

Jan 4, 2022, 11:02:28 AM1/4/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I had to stop running typography part way through because it kept changing all the substance X to substance Roman numeral 10. But I will give it another run and let you know the results.

Thank you

B Keith

Jan 4, 2022, 12:05:28 PM1/4/22
to Standard Ebooks
Ya, that can be a pain. But make it a habit to run it one last time before you submit and then revert the changes that were wrong. Let me know when  its done

David Zitzelsberger

Jan 4, 2022, 2:23:15 PM1/4/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Done.

18 cases of se semanticate incorrectly turning X into a roman numeral in 7 files. No other changes, so no changes to commit or push.

When I say incorrectly I'm not suggesting changes to the se toolset. There's no reasonable way for a program to know that "substance X" is substance unknown and not substance ten.

se clean makes no changes, so no changes for that either.

se lint reports nothing, though I do have one instance of an ignore rule that I manually reviewed.

se build --check-only also reports nothing.

Please review as is when you have the time.

Thanks

B Keith

Jan 4, 2022, 4:48:07 PM1/4/22
to Standard Ebooks
Typogrify.

I think you read that as sematicate :-)

There are a whole bunch of non-breaking spaces etc and a few quote marks in the Preface that need to be fixed.

David Zitzelsberger

Jan 4, 2022, 11:08:32 PM1/4/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I did mean semanticate.

Typogrify run and all changes reviewed and found to be acceptable.

I pushed the changes about 10 minutes ago so they should be there now.

Thanks

B Keith

Jan 5, 2022, 12:23:26 PM1/5/22
to Standard Ebooks
Alex et al.

Currently this letter is currently styled with nested blockquotes but that doesn't make sense to me. I was thinking they should be left  in the footer and applying targeted css. Opinions?

<footer>
</footer>

B Keith

Jan 5, 2022, 12:34:25 PM1/5/22
to Standard Ebooks
Good job. I posted some issues on the repo. You can probably get them dealt with while we wait for a decision on the letter formatting.

Bruce
_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

Alex Cabal

Jan 5, 2022, 1:06:27 PM1/5/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Right, it's not to quotations, it's one quotation and the witnesses are
part of the footer. You can put them in a <ul> that is styled to remove
list formatting.

On 1/5/22 11:23 AM, B Keith wrote:
> Alex et al.
>
> Currently this letter is currently styled with nested blockquotes but
> that doesn't make sense to me. I was thinking they should be left  in
> the footer and applying targeted css. Opinions?
>

>> <mailto:dazi...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I did mean semanticate.
>>
>> Typogrify run and all changes reviewed and found to be acceptable.
>>
>> I pushed the changes about 10 minutes ago so they should be there now.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 4, 2022, 2:48 PM B Keith <bois...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:bois...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Typogrify.
>>
>> I think you read that as sematicate :-)
>>
>> There are a whole bunch of non-breaking spaces etc and a few quote
>> marks in the Preface that need to be fixed.

>>> On Jan 4, 2022, at 12:23 PM, David Zitzelsberger
>>> <dazi...@gmail.com <mailto:dazi...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Done.
>>>
>>> 18 cases of se semanticate incorrectly turning X into a roman
>>> numeral in 7 files. No other changes, so no changes to commit or
>>> push.
>>>
>>> When I say incorrectly I'm not suggesting changes to the se
>>> toolset. There's no reasonable way for a program to know that
>>> "substance X" is substance unknown and not substance ten.
>>>
>>> se clean makes no changes, so no changes for that either.
>>>
>>> se lint reports nothing, though I do have one instance of an
>>> ignore rule that I manually reviewed.
>>>
>>> se build --check-only also reports nothing.
>>>
>>> Please review as is when you have the time.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jan 4, 2022, 10:05 AM B Keith <bois...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:bois...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ya, that can be a pain. But make it a habit to run it one
>>> last time before you submit and then revert the changes that
> [...]

David Zitzelsberger

Jan 7, 2022, 8:50:41 AM1/7/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I should be able to update things this weekend.

Tganks

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/797ba384-7eb2-19d1-9815-3142ae94928d%40standardebooks.org.

David Zitzelsberger

Jan 8, 2022, 12:49:09 PM1/8/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Changes made. Please review my comments and changesets.

Thanks

B Keith

Jan 8, 2022, 2:29:48 PM1/8/22
to Standard Ebooks
A few more small issues.

— Bruce

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

David Zitzelsberger

Jan 8, 2022, 4:26:38 PM1/8/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Changes committed and pushed.

B Keith

Jan 8, 2022, 6:01:57 PM1/8/22
to Standard Ebooks
Ok Alex this is ready for you to take a look at,

Alex Cabal

Jan 8, 2022, 7:13:35 PM1/8/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, I've had a minute to take a look at this. Given the state of the
initial typesetting, I think this was actually more like a
moderate-difficulty production than a beginner production. So, kudos on
completing it, you did a good job. There are a lot of details in here
that needed attention.

I've gone ahead and released. Some general notes for the future:

- You have two editorial commits that introduced a huge number of
non-editorial changes. This makes it really hard to review. In the
future, carefully limit editorial changes in [Editorial] commits so that
we know what's going on and we can more easily undo them if necessary.
Commits are free so it's OK to do a lot of them if it means breaking up
work into digestible chunks.

- In the letter footer, nesting <ul> within <ul> is not necessary; only
one of those things is a list. Also a class is not necessary, because
there's only one <ul> in the whole ebook--so you can target <ul> for
styling directly. You can see how I did it in the final book.

- <hr> means "thematic break". It's not used if we just want "top
border". To create a top border, target an element with CSS. Also see
the final book for an example.

- Skylark is a ship name so it should be italicized. There are also some
alien words that should be italicized and not quoted.

- There was some missing copy and paste styling for poetry.

- When italicizing books etc., quotation marks and punctuation around
them don't get italics too. Actually we should remove quotes, because
we've already italicized the book. This mainly applied to the preface,
which I removed because it's just a publisher blurb.

Overall very good work. If you'd like to work on another book next, send
a note to the mailing list!

On 1/8/22 5:01 PM, B Keith wrote:
> Ok Alex this is ready for you to take a look at,

>> On Jan 8, 2022, at 2:26 PM, David Zitzelsberger <dazi...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:dazi...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Changes committed and pushed.
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 8, 2022, 12:29 PM B Keith <bois...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:bois...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> A few more small issues.
>>
>> — Bruce
>> _________
>>
>> Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus
>>
>>> On Jan 8, 2022, at 10:48 AM, David Zitzelsberger

> [...]

Alex Cabal

Jan 8, 2022, 7:15:08 PM1/8/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
It's also a pity to note that it turns out the later novelization was
significantly different than the PG edition. We just had this discussion
on the list. If I had known I wouldn't have cleared this book, so that
one's on me, but since it's already done we may as well post it.

I think in the future, we'll have to be more careful when approving
these sci fi books, because many of them had later novelizations that
may have changed the book significantly.