First project

David Elwell

Mar 14, 2022, 12:25:07 PM3/14/22
to Standard Ebooks
I would like to work on The Sport of the Gods by Paul Laurence Dunbar as a first project.

Alex Cabal

Mar 14, 2022, 12:31:08 PM3/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great, that one would be a good start.

This looks fairly straightforward. The big newspaper headlines towards
the end can go in a blockquote, bolding isn't necessary. Keep an eye on
the section breaks, of which there are a few represented by empty
paragraphs with the "thoughtbreak" class. Those have to be replaced with
<hr/>. There's also some instances of vernacular, make sure to carefully
check the direction of single quotes there because typogrify has a hard
time curling quotes correctly around vernacular.

Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting,
as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
particular, please closely review the semantics, high level patterns,
and typography sections:

https://standardebooks.org/manual

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography

The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:

https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
whatever problem you've encountered.

When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
that I can mark you as having started.

Have fun! :)

On 3/14/22 12:25 PM, David Elwell wrote:
> I would like to work on The Sport of the Gods by Paul Laurence Dunbar as
> a first project.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/01efa0f8-b412-40e1-9138-30ff7477876fn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/01efa0f8-b412-40e1-9138-30ff7477876fn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Elwell

Mar 17, 2022, 3:44:38 PM3/17/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Here's my GitHub repository:

<
https://github.com/DavidElwell/paul-laurence-dunbar_the-sport-of-the-gods

I'll review the standards again and then get started.

David Elwell

Mar 27, 2022, 4:14:19 PM3/27/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure how I should format the chapter numbers and titles.

The Gutenberg original has the chapter I number and title as follows:

<hr /><h2><a id="I" name="I"></a>I.</h2><h2>THE HAMILTONS</h2>

I have marked up the Standard Ebooks file as follows:

<section id="chapter-1" epub:type="chapter">
<hgroup>
<h2 epub:type="ordinal z3998:roman">I</h2>
<h3 epub:type="title">The Hamiltons</h3>
</hgroup>

Did I get it right?

Alex Cabal

Mar 27, 2022, 4:18:39 PM3/27/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That's right!

David Elwell

Mar 30, 2022, 10:33:35 PM3/30/22
to Standard Ebooks
I'm at the TOC build, where I get this error:

Couldn’t find title in: chapter-17.xhtml#chapter-17

Here's the top of the chapter 17 file:

    <head>
        <title>XVII: A Yellow Journal</title>
        <link href="../css/core.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
        <link href="../css/local.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
    </head>
        <section id="chapter-17" epub:type="chapter">
            <hgroup>
                <h2 epub:type="ordinal z3998:roman">XVII</h2>
                <h3 epub:type="title">A Yellow Journal</h3>
            </hgroup>

What am I doing wrong?

Emma Sweeney

Mar 30, 2022, 11:22:40 PM3/30/22
to Standard Ebooks
Chapter 17 contains <h3> elements surrounding text that shouldn't appear in the ToC.

Emma

François Grandjean

Mar 30, 2022, 11:52:51 PM3/30/22
to Standard Ebooks
Too fast for me, Emma. :)

Looking at your project history, it doesn’t appear that you are following the instructions of the step-by-step guide. It really is meant to be followed in that order: some tools assume that you have done some specific work (e.g., make sure there aren’t any h elements in your file except the header), and it also makes it easier for the reviewer to follow the the history and help you figure out any problems you might have.

Vince

Mar 30, 2022, 11:54:20 PM3/30/22
to Standard Ebooks
The content.opf doesn’t have the scan URLs in it yet, so I found one on archive.org.

Note also that the second (“A Poor and Innocent…”) and last (The Whole Thing…) lines are wrapped, so should be one line in the text, not two. The whole thing should be in a blockquote (the previous paragraph talks about headlines), and the blockquote can then be targeted in the CSS to format it as needed.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/10b4a206-4044-46f0-8000-dd99731fde64n%40googlegroups.com.

Vince

Mar 31, 2022, 12:11:52 AM3/31/22
to Standard Ebooks
What François said. More specifically, as one example, the “[Editorial] Modernize hyphenation and spelling" commit contains both the results of semanticate, which is not editorial, and modernize spelling, which is. We don’t mix editorial and non-editorial commits; the editorial commits are for actual changes to the text, and they’re editorial so if someone wants to revert them to restore the changed text, without removing any of our other formatting, they can.

If you’re familiar with Git, you can rebase and split the commits into the two components, with the semanticate commit being normal and the modernize spelling being editorial. (See the step-by-step guide.)
If you’re not familiar with Git (or haven’t rebased before), it might be easier, since you’re not too far in, to start over. Either way is fine, just whichever you’re the most comfortable with. (It took a while for most of us to feel confident enough with git to do a rebase.)

Either way, as François said, it’s important to follow the step-by-guide closely on your first project. It not only helps you, it helps the eventual reviewer make sure that everything was done properly.

On Mar 30, 2022, at 10:54 PM, Vince wrote:
The content.opf doesn’t have the scan URLs in it yet, so I found one on archive.org.

Note also that the second (“A Poor and Innocent…”) and last (The Whole Thing…) lines are wrapped, so should be one line in the text, not two. The whole thing should be in a blockquote (the previous paragraph talks about headlines), and the blockquote can then be targeted in the CSS to format it as needed.

David Elwell

Mar 31, 2022, 11:08:51 AM3/31/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I see the h3's I missed in chapter 17.

Since I'm new to Standard Ebooks and new to Git too, I'll start the project over and review the files for strange tags, and I'll keep the editorial and non-editorial commits separate. It looks like a more thorough manual cleanup in step 7, prior to typogrify, would have saved me and you some trouble.

Step-by-Step prescribes the following commits:

Initial commit
Typogrify
Convert from British-style quotation to American style [if necessary?]
Semanticate
[Editorial] Modernize hyphenation and spelling
Add titles
Add manifest and spine
Add ToC

Then comes proofreading, with additional commits as appropriate, followed by final commits:

Add cover image
Complete content.opf
Complete the imprint and colophon
Initial publication

Are there proofreading commits that proofreaders and reviewers generally find useful beyond switching between editorial and non-editorial edits?

I learn by doing, so it won't hurt to start a second time. Thanks for your help.

Alex Cabal

Mar 31, 2022, 11:18:02 AM3/31/22

On 3/31/22 10:08 AM, David Elwell wrote:
> Are there proofreading commits that proofreaders and reviewers generally
> find useful beyond switching between editorial and non-editorial edits?

Not particularly. Most things you'll find in proofing are fixing typos
in the transcription, which is not an editorial action, and adding
styling that might be present in the source scans but missing in the
transcription - also not editorial.

Remember that commits are easy and free - it's fine to commit a change
of just one character, if it means correctly separating it out as an
editorial commit. Commit items as small as necessary as often as
necessary; it's not a big deal and can make it easier for you to undo
accidental changes too.

David Elwell

Aug 9, 2022, 4:13:28 PM8/9/22
to Standard Ebooks

I think I have finally found an image candidate for The Sport of the Gods cover:
Could be cropped like so:
Bellows_George_New_York_1911CropB14-21sm.jpg
or:
Bellows_George_New_York_1911CropA14-21sm.jpg

Alex Cabal

Aug 9, 2022, 4:21:24 PM8/9/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Looks good, thanks!

On 8/9/22 3:13 PM, David Elwell wrote:

> I think I have finally found an image candidate for The Sport of the
> Gods cover:
> https://www.nga.gov/collection/art-object-page.69392.html
> Could be cropped like so:
> Bellows_George_New_York_1911CropB14-21sm.jpg
> or:
> Bellows_George_New_York_1911CropA14-21sm.jpg
> On Thursday, March 31, 2022 at 11:18:02 AM UTC-4 Alex Cabal wrote:
>

> On 3/31/22 10:08 AM, David Elwell wrote:
> > Are there proofreading commits that proofreaders and reviewers
> generally
> > find useful beyond switching between editorial and non-editorial
> edits?
>
> Not particularly. Most things you'll find in proofing are fixing typos
> in the transcription, which is not an editorial action, and adding
> styling that might be present in the source scans but missing in the
> transcription - also not editorial.
>
> Remember that commits are easy and free - it's fine to commit a change
> of just one character, if it means correctly separating it out as an
> editorial commit. Commit items as small as necessary as often as
> necessary; it's not a big deal and can make it easier for you to undo
> accidental changes too.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8d76ebf6-9522-42df-88a3-efa73f00e819n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8d76ebf6-9522-42df-88a3-efa73f00e819n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Aug 9, 2022, 4:54:14 PM8/9/22
to Standard Ebooks
We already used this painting in Progress and Poverty, I think? https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/henry-george/progress-and-poverty

Alex Cabal

Aug 9, 2022, 4:55:29 PM8/9/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

David Elwell

Aug 10, 2022, 11:32:44 AM8/10/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Weijia Cheng

Aug 10, 2022, 11:43:54 AM8/10/22
to Standard Ebooks
One thing that might help, if you are looking for urban scenes, is searching for "street"  CC0 paintings at the Smithsonian.

Here are some that have a similar vibe to what you suggested:

David Elwell

Aug 10, 2022, 12:30:56 PM8/10/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Alex Cabal

Aug 10, 2022, 12:41:33 PM8/10/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That one would work, but note that the bottom detail will be obscured by
the title box. Do you think it still works with that in mind?

On 8/10/22 11:30 AM, David Elwell wrote:
> You anticipated my next candidate:
>
> https://www.si.edu/object/east-side-new-york:hmsg_66.1725
> <https://www.si.edu/object/east-side-new-york:hmsg_66.1725>
>
> Cropped like so:
>

> On Wed, 2022-08-10 at 08:43 -0700, Weijia Cheng wrote:
>> One thing that might help, if you are looking for urban scenes, is
>> searching for "street"  CC0 paintings at the Smithsonian
>> <https://www.si.edu/search/collection-images?edan_q=street&edan_fq%5B0%5D=object_type%3A%22Paintings%22&edan_fq%5B1%5D=media_usage%3A%22CC0%22>.
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8d76ebf6-9522-42df-88a3-efa73f00e819n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8d76ebf6-9522-42df-88a3-efa73f00e819n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>

>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2027f580-d90f-4baf-924b-3247d062e326n%40googlegroups.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2027f580-d90f-4baf-924b-3247d062e326n%40googlegroups.com>

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9ab43d67-f89e-4dd0-9bf1-6bd0d7005bafn%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9ab43d67-f89e-4dd0-9bf1-6bd0d7005bafn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b578a298f96ade35edbfa7bf274ccf71041ca363.camel%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b578a298f96ade35edbfa7bf274ccf71041ca363.camel%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Aug 10, 2022, 12:43:12 PM8/10/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Remember the title box. Does it work if you can’t see subjects at the bottom? (Just used the title of what I’m working on as an example.)

I’ve found for my books that I need to look at the actual cover to really tell if the picture’s going to work. I’m good at finding pictures like this, where the interesting parts are at the bottom, that don’t necessarily work due to the title box.

On Aug 10, 2022, at 11:30 AM, David Elwell <drel...@gmail.com> wrote:

You anticipated my next candidate:

Cropped like so:

<HMSG-66.1725-000001Cropped14-21sm.jpg>

David Elwell

Aug 10, 2022, 1:36:42 PM8/10/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I think it will; I'll get back with another suggestion if it doesn't.

David Elwell

Aug 10, 2022, 1:38:26 PM8/10/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Vince. You did the work for me. Looks good to me.

Alex Cabal

Aug 11, 2022, 12:41:34 PM8/11/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, thanks!

On 8/10/22 12:38 PM, David Elwell wrote:
> Thank you Vince. You did the work for me. Looks good to me.
>
> On Wed, 2022-08-10 at 11:43 -0500, Vince wrote:
>> Remember the title box. Does it work if you can’t see subjects at the
>> bottom? (Just used the title of what I’m working on as an example.)
>>

>> I’ve found for my books that I need to look at the actual cover to
>> really tell if the picture’s going to work. I’m good at finding
>> pictures like this, where the interesting parts are at the bottom,
>> that don’t necessarily work due to the title box.
>>

>>> On Aug 10, 2022, at 11:30 AM, David Elwell <drel...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:drel...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> You anticipated my next candidate:
>>>
>>> https://www.si.edu/object/east-side-new-york:hmsg_66.1725
>>> <https://www.si.edu/object/east-side-new-york:hmsg_66.1725>
>>>
>>> Cropped like so:
>>>
>>> <HMSG-66.1725-000001Cropped14-21sm.jpg>

>> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/34178F41-D109-4BCC-9264-28B2E9B60DB7%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/133f6539529f02012854da0b0107ea39afa33d8e.camel%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/133f6539529f02012854da0b0107ea39afa33d8e.camel%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Elwell

Aug 14, 2022, 3:59:00 PM8/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I need some very basic help. I have the placed the original and cropped
cover images in the top images directory, as cover.source.jpg and
cover.jpg.

Should I run se build-images from that top images directory? What
should I specify as the directory? I'm getting this message:

Error Target doesn’t appear to be an epub: no container.xml or no
metadata file.

Vince

Aug 14, 2022, 4:10:56 PM8/14/22
to Standard Ebooks
All se commands are normally run from the top-level directory, e.g. the author-bookname directory.

David Elwell

Sep 2, 2022, 4:06:04 PM9/2/22
to Standard Ebooks
se lint tells me "Long description must be escaped HTML." I thought I had it coded right:

You all have been a great help so far, and I'm so close. What am I missing now?

Alex Cabal

Sep 2, 2022, 4:09:25 PM9/2/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
It must be ESCAPED html - yours is not escaped. Run se clean and it
should escape it foryou.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5b5a03ea-d46e-48b4-bb10-e78ea02f2c94n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5b5a03ea-d46e-48b4-bb10-e78ea02f2c94n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Elwell

Sep 3, 2022, 11:43:12 AM9/3/22
to Standard Ebooks
Chapter 13 has a multiparagraph block quote (nevertheless is enclosed in quotation marks) that ends like this:

sportofgods00dunb_0_0205Crop.jpg
I have tagged the whole letter, including the signature lines, with <blockquote>. This is the only place in the book where this situation appears. Assuming that the best approximation of the signature lines for an ebook would be to align them to the right, how should I do this without adding a new paragraph class selector to local.css?

Vince

Sep 3, 2022, 12:01:06 PM9/3/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
SE’s letter CSS already handles that, see SEMoS 7.7.

On Sep 3, 2022, at 10:43 AM, David Elwell <d...@towardperfect.com> wrote:

Chapter 13 has a multiparagraph block quote (nevertheless is enclosed in quotation marks) that ends like this:

David Elwell

Sep 3, 2022, 1:30:47 PM9/3/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I think The Sport of the Gods is finally ready for review. Thanks to
all for your patience and assistance.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9CB2DC79-92A1-4C84-99FE-C564BF07BE81%40letterboxes.org
> .

Alex Cabal

Sep 4, 2022, 12:56:55 PM9/4/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi David, this looks very good! I filed a Github issue with some minor
corrections that need to be made, nothing major. Let me know when you
get them wrapped up and we can release this. Thanks!

David Elwell

Sep 4, 2022, 2:26:59 PM9/4/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Hope to get to it shortly.

David Elwell

Sep 4, 2022, 4:01:43 PM9/4/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the detailed feedback. All done now, I hope.

David Elwell

Sep 4, 2022, 4:32:37 PM9/4/22
to Standard Ebooks
Expanded the long description a bit more.

Alex Cabal

Sep 4, 2022, 9:15:42 PM9/4/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK great, everything looks good now and I've gone ahead and released it.

Thanks for working on it, and if you'd like to work on something more
advanced next you can take a look at our Wanted list for
moderate-difficulty productions, or pitch something else to the list
that interests you!