The Devil's Pool

Vince

Aug 14, 2022, 6:47:57 PM8/14/22
to Standard Ebooks
As I’m working my way through Maupassant transcription errors and waiting for some more translation info, I need something small for a change. How about George Sands’ The Devil’s Pool? Published as a novel, it is right at our 40K cutoff.

There are a two different translations on PG; I’ll do some looking around and see what I can find out about them.

I would like to use this for the cover art; the painting is supposed to have been inspired by the novel. There’s plenty of PD proof, but most of the scans are abysmal. This one is good enough, I hope.

Alex Cabal

Aug 14, 2022, 8:50:49 PM8/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Looks good, thanks!

On 8/14/22 5:47 PM, Vince wrote:
> As I’m working my way through Maupassant transcription errors and
> waiting for some more translation info, I need something small for a
> change. How about George Sands’ /The Devil’s Pool/? Published as a
> novel, it is right at our 40K cutoff.
>
> There are a two different translations on PG; I’ll do some looking
> around and see what I can find out about them.
>
> I would like to use this
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ploughing_in_the_Nivernais> for the cover
> art; the painting is supposed to have been inspired by the novel.
> There’s plenty of PD proof, but most of the scans are abysmal. This one
> <https://archive.org/details/rosabonheur002181mbp/page/n46/mode/1up?q=rosa+bonheur+ploughing> is
> good enough, I hope.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8EC78C37-7543-4862-8066-7428FC264053%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8EC78C37-7543-4862-8066-7428FC264053%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Mar 19, 2023, 3:52:57 PM3/19/23
to Standard Ebooks
I believe The Devil’s Pool is ready for review. I started on this during Maupassant and then, like David’s italics, lost sight of it for a while.

Alex Cabal

Mar 22, 2023, 5:47:23 PM3/22/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great work Vince, thanks! I've gone ahead and released it.

On 3/19/23 2:52 PM, Vince wrote:
> I believe The Devil’s Pool
> <https://github.com/vr8hub/george-sand_the-devils-pool_jane-minot-sedgwick_ellery-sedgwick> is ready for review. I started on this during Maupassant and then, like David’s italics, lost sight of it for a while.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/97DB15D0-C3C7-4C23-8C4E-31AA7DA011D9%40letterboxes.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/97DB15D0-C3C7-4C23-8C4E-31AA7DA011D9%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Mar 22, 2023, 6:26:41 PM3/22/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Urggh, I don’t know why those that man’s were left <i>. I did all of the work except proofreading last year and apparently forgot about them. Sorry about that!

Why would we not match the formatting for the location/date in the preface, i.e. leaving it at left margin rather than right-justified?

Alex Cabal

Mar 22, 2023, 6:51:42 PM3/22/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Eh, I think it's weird to have an extreme left and right alignment in a
footer like that. The vast majority are all just right-aligned. Just a
matter of taste I suppose.

On 3/22/23 5:26 PM, Vince wrote:
> Urggh, I don’t know why those /that man/’s were left <i>. I did all of
> the work except proofreading last year and apparently forgot about them.
> Sorry about that!
>
> Why would we not match the formatting for the location/date in the
> preface, i.e. leaving it at left margin rather than right-justified?
>

>> On Mar 22, 2023, at 4:47 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
>> <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Great work Vince, thanks! I've gone ahead and released it.
>>
>> On 3/19/23 2:52 PM, Vince wrote:
>>> I believe The Devil’s Pool
>>> <https://github.com/vr8hub/george-sand_the-devils-pool_jane-minot-sedgwick_ellery-sedgwick <https://github.com/vr8hub/george-sand_the-devils-pool_jane-minot-sedgwick_ellery-sedgwick>> is ready for review. I started on this during Maupassant and then, like David’s italics, lost sight of it for a while.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8795724E-3F59-4AEA-A410-451135BC5F27%40letterboxes.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8795724E-3F59-4AEA-A410-451135BC5F27%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Mar 22, 2023, 6:57:58 PM3/22/23
to Standard Ebooks
Well, I'll argue on the “vast majority”—the vast majority I have worked on and see (including books purchased this century) look exactly like this one, with the signature right-aligned and the location and/or date on the left.

But, regardless, if you always want to leave those right-aligned, then I’ll make a note of that for the future. Thanks!