[First Project] When the World Shook by H. Rider Haggard

Animesh Baranawal

Apr 4, 2022, 11:09:25 AM4/4/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi all,

I am a huge fan of Standard Ebooks.
I would like to be a contributor with my first project being "When the World Shook" by H. Rider Haggard. It is in the wanted list under the list of the first productions.

The work is available on Project Gutenberg (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1368).
I will be spending some time on the style manual before starting.
Meanwhile, I expect I will get the approval for starting the production.

Thanks and Regards,
Animesh.

Animesh Baranawal

Apr 4, 2022, 11:49:33 AM4/4/22
to Standard Ebooks
Seems like someone else is already working on this.. Will go through the list and pick something else.

-Animesh.

Animesh Baranawal

Apr 4, 2022, 11:59:28 AM4/4/22
to Standard Ebooks
Seems like "Vikram and the Vampire" by Sir Richard Francis Burton has not been claimed by anyone.
Can I set this as my goal for the first production?

-Animesh.

Alex Cabal

Apr 4, 2022, 12:11:32 PM4/4/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
When the World Shook is also free, it was abandoned and you can start it
fresh if you'd like. Let me know which one you'd like to start on!

On 4/4/22 10:59 AM, Animesh Baranawal wrote:
> Seems like "Vikram and the Vampire" by Sir Richard Francis Burton has
> not been claimed by anyone.
> Can I set this as my goal for the first production?
>
> -Animesh.
>

> On Monday, April 4, 2022 at 9:19:33 PM UTC+5:30 Animesh Baranawal wrote:
>
> Seems like someone else is already working on this.. Will go through
> the list and pick something else.
>
> -Animesh.
>
> On Monday, April 4, 2022 at 8:39:25 PM UTC+5:30 Animesh Baranawal wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am a huge fan of Standard Ebooks.
> I would like to be a contributor with my first project being
> "When the World Shook" by H. Rider Haggard. It is in the wanted
> list under the list of the first productions.
>
> The work is available on Project Gutenberg
> (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1368
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1368>).
> I will be spending some time on the style manual before starting.
> Meanwhile, I expect I will get the approval for starting the
> production.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Animesh.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d093692b-7632-4bb4-bf73-5d5f915058cdn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d093692b-7632-4bb4-bf73-5d5f915058cdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Animesh Baranawal

Apr 4, 2022, 11:59:31 PM4/4/22
to Standard Ebooks
I would like to pickup "Vikram and the Vampire". It seems interesting.
After this production is finished and no-one has taken up "When the world shook", I will take up that as the second production :)

-Animesh.

Alex Cabal

Apr 5, 2022, 11:14:18 AM4/5/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, that works. On reviewing this I'm not sure why I put it on the
first productions list as it seems a little complex, but let's give it a
shot.

- Cut the illustrations.

- Page numbers can be removed in one go with a regex.

- Normally we'd put the "introduction" as front matter but in this case
it looks like it's actually body matter framing the narrative, so leave
it after the half title page.

- You'll have to run `se british2american` during production so
carefully review the direction of quotation marks when proofreading.

- There are endnotes, so `se shift-endnotes` and `se renumber-endnotes`
may be helpful to you during production.

- I also see some verse/poetry, see the manual for copy and paste
formatting.

Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting,
as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
particular, please closely review the semantics, high level patterns,
and typography sections:

https://standardebooks.org/manual

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography

The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:

https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
whatever problem you've encountered.

When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
that I can mark you as having started.

Have fun! :)

On 4/4/22 10:59 AM, Animesh Baranawal wrote:
> Seems like "Vikram and the Vampire" by Sir Richard Francis Burton has
> not been claimed by anyone.
> Can I set this as my goal for the first production?
>
> -Animesh.
>

> On Monday, April 4, 2022 at 9:19:33 PM UTC+5:30 Animesh Baranawal wrote:
>
> Seems like someone else is already working on this.. Will go through
> the list and pick something else.
>
> -Animesh.
>
> On Monday, April 4, 2022 at 8:39:25 PM UTC+5:30 Animesh Baranawal wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am a huge fan of Standard Ebooks.
> I would like to be a contributor with my first project being
> "When the World Shook" by H. Rider Haggard. It is in the wanted
> list under the list of the first productions.
>
> The work is available on Project Gutenberg
> (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1368
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1368>).
> I will be spending some time on the style manual before starting.
> Meanwhile, I expect I will get the approval for starting the
> production.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Animesh.

Animesh Baranawal

Apr 15, 2022, 9:56:23 AM4/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Alex,

I have completed the initial passes over Preface (chapter-1.xhtml) and Introduction (chapter-2.xhtml).
The git repository for the book is: https://github.com/animeshbaranawal/Book48511

I had a couple of questions before I start passing over chapters:
1. I have tried to follow capitalisation as per the rules in https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/capital.asp
    But I would be happy if someone could either take a look at capitalisation changes or refer me to a better resource.
2. I have replaced all salutations like O with O'. Is this ok?
3. There are certain dialogues encompassing entire paragraphs. I have put these dialogues under blockquote with type as z3998:scene.
4. The Introduction itself is split into three subsections separated by ***** line. How do I handle this while transcribing?
5. I was thinking if we could use IAST (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Alphabet_of_Sanskrit_Transliteration) for transliterating Sanskrit words. This will require spelling changes.
    Can this be done?

Would love to hear feedback on these questions and if you could go through the last two commits on the repository.

Thanks,
Animesh.

Alex Cabal

Apr 15, 2022, 11:11:29 AM4/15/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Note that if you have a preface and intro, the files should be named
preface.xhtml and introduction.xhtml, and chapter 1 will start at
chapter-1.xhtml. See below:

On 4/15/22 8:56 AM, Animesh Baranawal wrote:
> 1. I have tried to follow capitalisation as per the rules in
> https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/capital.asp
>     But I would be happy if someone could either take a look at
> capitalisation changes or refer me to a better resource.

Usually you don't have to change capitalization in works from this era
except for titlecasing chapter headers, which should be done using `se
titlecase`.

> 2. I have replaced all salutations like O with O'. Is this ok?

I need an example but we can probably just leave them as is.

> 3. There are certain dialogues encompassing entire paragraphs. I have
> put these dialogues under blockquote with type as z3998:scene.

z3998:scene is only for actual drama like Shakespeare. It's not
appropriate in other contexts. <blockquote> means an actual quotation
inserted into the text, it is not appropriate for regular dialogue.
Regular long dialoge that crosses paragraphs is just <p>.

> 4. The Introduction itself is split into three subsections separated by
> ***** line. How do I handle this while transcribing?

If they are actual subsections with headers, they each get their own
<section>. If the *** is just a thematic break, use <hr/>.

> 5. I was thinking if we could use IAST
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Alphabet_of_Sanskrit_Transliteration)
> for transliterating Sanskrit words. This will require spelling changes.
>     Can this be done?

How much is there, is it actual real Sanskrit and not some old-timey
made-up approximation, and are you familiar with the Sanskrit language?

Alex Cabal

Apr 15, 2022, 11:21:11 AM4/15/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
In general, a lighter touch is preferred, especially for a first
production. The items in our wanted list that are marked for first
producers, like this one, are selected because they're very basic and we
don't expect there to be very many editorial decisions to make, if there
are even any at all.

On 4/15/22 8:56 AM, Animesh Baranawal wrote:
> https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics>
>
> https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns>
>

> https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography>
>
> The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:
>
> https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step <https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d093692b-7632-4bb4-bf73-5d5f915058cdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d093692b-7632-4bb4-bf73-5d5f915058cdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/01dcd57e-6057-4dd8-b7a0-1f3a1788d7b9n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/01dcd57e-6057-4dd8-b7a0-1f3a1788d7b9n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Animesh Baranawal

Apr 15, 2022, 11:31:43 PM4/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
Got it.
I will avoid touching the main text as far as possible.
Since it’s a book on Hindu tales, there are lot of Hindu names if not Sanskrit terms.
The English spellings may not reflect accurate pronounciation of these words.

Concerning my expertise on Sanskrit, I am familiar with it (took it as a second language).
I am confident that if required I can accurately use the IAST conversions.

Thanks,
Animesh.

Alex Cabal

Apr 17, 2022, 12:19:35 AM4/17/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Animesh Baranawal

Apr 17, 2022, 1:53:50 PM4/17/22
to Standard Ebooks
Here are some examples of transliteration of sanskrit words in Chapter 2.
I have used ISO_15919 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_15919). IAST is a subset of this.

Bhogavati -> Bhogavatī
Baital -> Betāla
Ram -> Rāma
Patal -> Pātāla
Churaman -> Cūṛāmana
Chandravati -> Candravatī
Magadheshwar -> Magadheśvara
Madan-manjari -> Madana-manjarī
Dharma Dhwaj -> Dharma Dhvaja
Vikram -> Vikrama
Ratnawati -> Ratnāvatī
Hapur -> Hāpuṛa
Purana -> Purāṇa
Chandrapur -> caṁdrapura
Hemgupt -> Hemagupta
Bhagwan -> Bhagawāna
Sadhu -> sādhu
bramra -> bham̐varā
Jayashri -> Jayaśrī
Sagardati -> Sāgaradati
Sita -> Sītā
Shridat -> śrīdatta
Lila Shastra -> Līlā śāstra
Girnar -> Girnāra
pisach -> piśāca
kotwal -> kotavāla

Alex Cabal

Apr 17, 2022, 1:58:05 PM4/17/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, so most of these cases do not appear to be sound-alike changes, so
just leave them as they are in print. As a general rule when it comes to
spelling and transliteration we only perform sound-alike changes;
anything else is a matter of historical differences.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/23de4152-ab5d-4147-a508-6bbb4140d277n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/23de4152-ab5d-4147-a508-6bbb4140d277n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/96894146-3057-4528-bc1c-73a470a086e2n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/96894146-3057-4528-bc1c-73a470a086e2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Animesh Baranawal

Apr 28, 2022, 2:03:25 AM4/28/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Alex,

Sorry for the delay.
I was on an unexpected hiatus this week and could not work on the production at all.
Had to move out to a different living place.
Rest assured, this production effort is not dead. I will start working on it again by this weekend on early next week.

Again, apologies for the delay.

Thanks,
Animesh.

Alex Cabal

Apr 28, 2022, 11:26:29 AM4/28/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, thanks for keeping us updated!

On 4/28/22 1:03 AM, Animesh Baranawal wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Sorry for the delay.
> I was on an unexpected hiatus this week and could not work on the
> production at all.
> Had to move out to a different living place.
> Rest assured, this production effort is not dead. I will start working
> on it again by this weekend on early next week.
>
> Again, apologies for the delay.
>
> Thanks,
> Animesh.
>
> On Sunday, April 17, 2022 at 11:28:05 PM UTC+5:30 Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> OK, so most of these cases do not appear to be sound-alike changes, so
> just leave them as they are in print. As a general rule when it
> comes to
> spelling and transliteration we only perform sound-alike changes;
> anything else is a matter of historical differences.
>
> On 4/17/22 12:53 PM, Animesh Baranawal wrote:
> > Here are some examples of transliteration of sanskrit words in
> Chapter 2.
> > I have used ISO_15919 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_15919
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_15919>). IAST is
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/96894146-3057-4528-bc1c-73a470a086e2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/96894146-3057-4528-bc1c-73a470a086e2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1973490b-6774-4afe-b7af-fcd3104c9374n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1973490b-6774-4afe-b7af-fcd3104c9374n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Animesh Baranawal

May 8, 2022, 8:06:02 AM5/8/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Alex,

I am done with the book production till step 21 on https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step.
The production can be found on the github repo: https://github.com/animeshbaranawal/Book48511

Regarding the title page,  the title page has some quotes. There is an additional page with dedications.
How do I include these in the production?

Also, the conclusion chapter ends with some lines on the publisher.
Do we add them as well?

Looking forward to your comments.

-Animesh.

Weijia Cheng

May 8, 2022, 9:33:41 AM5/8/22
to Standard Ebooks

We would definitely cut that out. It falls under the broad category of footer text we'd remove.

Alex Cabal

May 8, 2022, 12:39:22 PM5/8/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK great. Your next step will be finding the cover image, and the step
by step guide has some tips. So does the manual in the Art section. Once
you think you've found appropriate art with public domain proof, email
the list so we can confirm it. Don't commit it to your repo until we've
confirmed it.

By quotes do you mean epigraphs? See the manual for styling epigraphs
and dedications. The epigraphs will be in their own file, as will the
dedication.

On 5/8/22 7:06 AM, Animesh Baranawal wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1973490b-6774-4afe-b7af-fcd3104c9374n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1973490b-6774-4afe-b7af-fcd3104c9374n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/100c1932-7766-42c7-bc9c-dbbeabdacda2n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/100c1932-7766-42c7-bc9c-dbbeabdacda2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Animesh Baranawal

May 10, 2022, 10:22:45 AM5/10/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Alex,

Regarding the cover image: It is stated that finding a reproduction of the image in a book (prior to 1926) is a hard requirement.
It is also stated that images from listed museum collections with public domain proof can be used without any research.
Can you clarify on this?

-Animesh.

Alex Cabal

May 10, 2022, 12:00:55 PM5/10/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You must find a reproduction in a PD book, unless you've selected from
one of our preapproved museums and the image has the appropriate license
on the museum page. In that case, finding a reproduction isn't necessary.

On 5/10/22 9:22 AM, Animesh Baranawal wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Regarding the cover image: It is stated that finding a reproduction of
> the image in a book (prior to 1926) is a hard requirement.
> It is also stated that images from listed museum collections with public
> domain proof can be used without any research.
> Can you clarify on this?
>
> -Animesh.
>
> On Sunday, May 8, 2022 at 10:09:22 PM UTC+5:30 Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> OK great. Your next step will be finding the cover image, and the step
> by step guide has some tips. So does the manual in the Art section.
> Once
> you think you've found appropriate art with public domain proof, email
> the list so we can confirm it. Don't commit it to your repo until we've
> confirmed it.
>
> By quotes do you mean epigraphs? See the manual for styling epigraphs
> and dedications. The epigraphs will be in their own file, as will the
> dedication.
>
> On 5/8/22 7:06 AM, Animesh Baranawal wrote:
> > Hi Alex,
> >
> > I am done with the book production till step 21 on
> >
> https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step <https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/100c1932-7766-42c7-bc9c-dbbeabdacda2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/100c1932-7766-42c7-bc9c-dbbeabdacda2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/898dedd7-b8e8-4be5-b9e7-95fb027fc292n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/898dedd7-b8e8-4be5-b9e7-95fb027fc292n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Animesh Baranawal

May 11, 2022, 11:03:03 AM5/11/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Alex,

After scouring the internet for a couple of days, these are the cover image options I propose:

Let me know your thoughts.

-Animesh

Alex Cabal

May 11, 2022, 11:15:23 AM5/11/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Cover art has to be in the "fine art oil painting style", see
https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.6.4/10-art-and-images#10.3.3.4

Your first two don't look like oil paintings so they don't meet that
criteria. The 3rd one is a watercolor but it could look like an oil
painting so it's OK, but I think the 3rd one would be better suited to a
ghost story type book and not a Haggard adventure book set in the
Pacific islands.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/19dc5381-250e-4eaa-92ff-c1514c0d0bd7n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/19dc5381-250e-4eaa-92ff-c1514c0d0bd7n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Animesh Baranawal

May 12, 2022, 11:49:41 AM5/12/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Alex,

I found some "oil on canvas" options as well:

My personal preference would be 3 > 1 > 2.
Let me know your thoughts.

-Animesh.

Alex Cabal

May 12, 2022, 12:20:13 PM5/12/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, those are better. 2 is already in use for A Passage to India. 3 is
similar to the one used for The Moon Pool; it looks like it's an entry
in a series of similar paintings of moon/tree/water Blakelock did. But
it's technically a different painting so you can use it if you like. Let
me know which one you pick.

On 5/12/22 10:49 AM, Animesh Baranawal wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/19dc5381-250e-4eaa-92ff-c1514c0d0bd7n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/19dc5381-250e-4eaa-92ff-c1514c0d0bd7n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8fc47300-60cc-494e-a5a9-be9660c2a5d4n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8fc47300-60cc-494e-a5a9-be9660c2a5d4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Animesh Baranawal

May 12, 2022, 12:43:43 PM5/12/22
to Standard Ebooks
I am deciding on option 3. It matches the haunting atmosphere in the introduction when Vikram meets Baital.

-Animesh.

Animesh Baranawal

May 13, 2022, 12:46:36 PM5/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
I am going to start one final proofread of the book.
But before that, these are the production notes related to spelling changes:

Production notes
1. All ligatures simplified
2. Spelling modernisations: (from se modernise-spellings)
    -> Moslem : Muslim
    -> dulness : dullness
    -> divers gambados : diverse gambados
    -> turtle-dove : turtledove
    -> fish-pond : fishpond
    -> summer-house : summerhouse
    -> love-sick : lovesick
    -> soft-heartedness : softheartedness
    -> book-case : bookcase
    -> roof-tree : rooftree
    -> thunder-cloud : thundercloud
    -> fulness : fullness
    -> sugar-cane : sugarcane
    -> battle-fields : battlefields
    -> night-time : nighttime
    -> Hindoos : Hindus (except when its in the title of a book in endnotes: View of the hindoos)
    -> eye-witness : eyewitness
    -> to-morrow : tomorrow
    -> story-book : storybook
    -> pál, pála : pal, pala
    -> iron-wood : ironwood
    -> cocoa-nut : coconut
    -> water-fowl : waterfowl
    -> wool-gathering : woolgathering
    -> by the bye : by the by
    -> fire-fly : firefly
    -> sugar-plums : sugarplums
    -> hobby-horse : hobbyhorse
    -> chess-board : chessboard
    -> to-night : tonight
    -> good-night : goodnight
    -> to-day : today
    -> counting-house : countinghouse
    -> loin-cloth: loincloth
    -> musk-rat : muskrat
    -> lamb-skin : lambskin
    -> lamp-black : lampblack
    -> new comers : newcomers
    -> shewed : showed
    -> mean time : meantime
    -> good-bye : goodbye
    -> cut-throats : cutthroats
    -> lack-lustre : lacklustre
    -> store-room : storeroom
    -> god-like : godlike
    -> short-sighted : shortsighted
    -> tom-cat : tomcat

3. Spelling corrections:
    -> Menu the Lawgiver : Manu the Lawgiver
    -> beautiful Bangalah Rani : beautiful Dangalah Rani
    -> Mulder : Muldev
    -> Shalivaban : Shalivahan

I hope these changes are okay.
I also found a second edition which is edited by the author's wife.
Crisp scans of this second edition are present as well: https://archive.org/details/vikramvampireort1893burt

In terms of extra material, there is only an additional preface present.
I am planning to proofread against this second edition. Should we include the extra preface as well?

Alex Cabal

May 13, 2022, 1:14:09 PM5/13/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK great. You don't have to list the modernizations in an email; if you
marked them as [Editorial] as you should have, they'll be reviewed
during the review phase.

Is the new preface interesting at all? We don't necessarily have to
include it, but if it has interesting unique insight then it might be
worth it.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2e4c04b1-9ac5-4fb0-943b-f564de91a7f2n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2e4c04b1-9ac5-4fb0-943b-f564de91a7f2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Animesh Baranawal

May 17, 2022, 10:20:13 AM5/17/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
It is more like a synopsis for the rest of the book. Will not be adding it.
Thanks for the heads up on the [Editorial] tag.

-Animesh

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1a78fa95-269c-6205-b73e-6d3b2d9676d3%40standardebooks.org.

Animesh Baranawal

May 28, 2022, 2:38:10 PM5/28/22
to Standard Ebooks
The final proofread is done.
I have completed the content.opf with the descriptions and producer notes.
The production is now ready for review.

I tried building the production and testing it on a couple of devices.
The .epub file generated looks fine.
The .azw3 file seems to have issues with the dedication and the epigraph section where the layout does not match with that in .epub file.
Is this expected?

Thanks,
Animesh.

Alex Cabal

May 28, 2022, 3:34:55 PM5/28/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
David, do you have time to review this?

It's OK if the epub and azw3 look different, different renderers will
display ebooks differently and Kindle's is bad.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2e4c04b1-9ac5-4fb0-943b-f564de91a7f2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2e4c04b1-9ac5-4fb0-943b-f564de91a7f2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1a78fa95-269c-6205-b73e-6d3b2d9676d3%40standardebooks.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1a78fa95-269c-6205-b73e-6d3b2d9676d3%40standardebooks.org>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1472d5b1-0002-454e-90f7-87375a437622n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1472d5b1-0002-454e-90f7-87375a437622n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Grigg

May 28, 2022, 7:24:47 PM5/28/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, will do.

As an aside, I must have read this book first at age 12. My father was a big Haggard (and Edgar Rice Burroughs) fan. This was a pretty strange thing to read at that age, though I can now barely recall it.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a280f707-3e0a-c792-dba3-7e6ff321be8e%40standardebooks.org.

Animesh Baranawal

May 30, 2022, 6:41:45 AM5/30/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi David,

Just so that everyone is on the same page.
Initially, I thought "When the world shook" was taken up. Alex cleared that both "When the world shook" and "Vikram and the vampire" are up for grabs and I went with the latter for my first production.
The thread title is misleading in that way.

-Animesh.

David Grigg

May 30, 2022, 9:04:16 PM5/30/22
to Standard Ebooks
Oh, OK. Thanks, I would have been confused. It's probably always worth starting a new thread when this kind of thing happens. Threads are free!

I'll get to reviewing your production later today.

David Grigg

May 31, 2022, 10:14:55 PM5/31/22
to Standard Ebooks
Animesh: I've started my review, but you'll need to fix the following before I continue.

Running lint throws up a whole bunch of problems, but there's also one major problem to do with the name of the author. It's not our practice to use the "Sir" as part of the author name (see, for example, our treatment of books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle). I've spelled out in an issue on your repository the steps I think you need to take to fix this. Get back to me if you have any issues with this, or once you've completed this process.

Note for future reference that lint should run clean before you request review.

Animesh Baranawal

Jun 1, 2022, 12:28:08 AM6/1/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi David,

That's strange. I spent some time fixing the errors shown by `se lint` before putting the production for review.
Seems like the case of "It works on my system!" and the fault is likely to be on my side. I may be using an older version of the se command-line tool.

I did not touch the author name setup by `se create-draft`. Should have clarified this before.
I will address these issues today evening (by Indian time zone).

Thanks,
Animesh.

David Grigg

Jun 1, 2022, 1:54:26 AM6/1/22
to Standard Ebooks
But you must have given "Sir Richard Francis Burton" to create-draft or you wouldn't have got the result you did.

Animesh Baranawal

Jun 1, 2022, 3:43:29 AM6/1/22
to Standard Ebooks
Yup. That's correct.
I will look into how productions on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are treated and make changes accordingly.

-Animesh

Animesh Baranawal

Jun 1, 2022, 11:47:23 AM6/1/22
to Standard Ebooks
I have addressed the `se lint` and author name issues.
Looking forward to the review comments.

-Animesh

Animesh Baranawal

Jun 3, 2022, 1:43:33 PM6/3/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Alex and David,

I was hoping to address the comments and remaining issues over the weekend but something urgent has come up.
I won't be able to work on the issues this weekend but I will hopefully start working on them from the coming weekday.

Thanks,
Animesh.

David Grigg

Jun 3, 2022, 10:09:16 PM6/3/22
to Standard Ebooks
No problem. There's no rush.

Animesh Baranawal

Jun 6, 2022, 9:27:52 AM6/6/22
to Standard Ebooks
Ok. So I am back at working on the git issues.
I have fixed most of the issues except 2 of the remaining open ones.
One of them requires rebasing and I will work on it tomorrow since it will require some careful git operations.
The second one is regarding "for ever" and "forever". I have added my comments on that.

Thanks,
Animesh.

David Grigg

Jun 6, 2022, 8:54:17 PM6/6/22
to Standard Ebooks
Animesh: I believe you are correct (and I am wrong) about "forever and ever". That, I think is correct, and not "for ever and ever". Alex, I've made that mistake in a few of my own productions, I think. I'll do a search of the corpus and see how many instances there are.

Certainly be careful with rebase as it's very powerful. Best thing to do is make a complete copy of your local repository folder and keep it safe in case you need to go back.

David Grigg

Jun 8, 2022, 12:46:47 AM6/8/22
to Standard Ebooks
Animesh: great job, just a couple of minor issues to fix. Once you do those, we can ask Alex to have a look and release it.

David Grigg

Jun 8, 2022, 12:53:09 AM6/8/22
to Standard Ebooks
Alex,

one issue came up about how to deal with modernize-spelling of "forever". Modernize spelling makes the phrase  "forever and ever". I've been reverting that in my own productions as a matter of course to "for ever and ever" but from what I can gather online I'm wrong. However, I've done a search and there are quite a number of instances of the latter in our corpus (not all of which are my productions!). Which is correct?

David Grigg

Jun 9, 2022, 12:04:49 AM6/9/22
to Standard Ebooks
Alex: I believe this is now ready for release.

Alex Cabal

Jun 11, 2022, 12:06:03 AM6/11/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, we're almost there.

Animesh, can you update the long description with more detail of what
the Baital Pachisi is? I don't know what it is, so saying that this book
is an adaptation of it tells me nothing. When you write Jogi do you mean
in the sense of Yogi? If so, we should Yogi and that is something that
should be modernized in the body text as well.

Also, dc:description should be one sentence that describes the plot in
an active voice, like "An errant knight goes on a quest to find the holy
grail." Compare that to something like "This is a story of an Arthurian
legend." Who is doing what to propel the plot?
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/cbc0f895-8a87-4fd4-9450-4e541cce8afen%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/df6254e4-4368-4c60-bf9a-8e57d0d0ed90n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/df6254e4-4368-4c60-bf9a-8e57d0d0ed90n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
Message has been deleted

Animesh Baranawal

Jun 11, 2022, 3:36:00 AM6/11/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Alex,

The descriptions are updated.

Short Description
-----------------
Old: This is an English adaptation of the popular “Baital Pachisi” consisting of eleven tales told by Baital to trap King Vikram.
New: King Vikram hustles on a promise-bound task of bringing a clever Baital back to his disguised enemy.

Long Description
----------------
Old: Adapted from Baital Pachisi in Sanskrit to English by Sir Richard F. Burton, the book consists of eleven Hindu tales. Sir Richard F. Burton was an eminent British explorer speaking more than twenty languages and famous for the detailed footnotes in his writings.
    A tantric Jogi is after King Vikram’s life because of the wrong-doings of his father. He fools the brave king to bring Baital (a vampire) hanging from a siras-tree back to him. Baital in turn traps the king in an endless loop of stories. If King Vikram answers any question posed by the vampire during his story-telling, he will escape back to the tree and the king will have to start all over again. Will Vikram be able to escape Baital’s trap? What doom awaits when the king finally meets his nemesis?

New: Baital Pachisi, popularly known as Vikram-Betaal and written in a frame narrative style, is a collection of Hindu tales with King Vikramaditya as the hero. Adapted from Sanskrit to English by Sir Richard F. Burton, the book consists of eleven of these tales. Sir Richard F. Burton was an eminent British explorer speaking more than twenty languages and was famous for the detailed footnotes in his writings.
    A tantric yogi is after King Vikram’s life because of the wrong-doings of his father. He fools the brave king into bringing Baital (a vampire) hanging from a siras tree back to him. Baital, in turn, traps the king in an endless loop of stories. If King Vikram answers any question posed by the vampire during his story-telling, he will escape back to the tree, and the king will have to start again. Will Vikram be able to escape Baital’s trap? What doom awaits when the king finally meets his nemesis?

-Animesh.

Alex Cabal

Jun 11, 2022, 3:52:35 PM6/11/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK excellent. Everything looks good and I've gone ahead and released it.

Very good work Animesh, thanks! If you'd like to work on something new,
check out our wanted list for moderate-difficulty productions, or pitch
us something else that you'd like to work on.

On 6/11/22 2:08 AM, Animesh Baranawal wrote:
> [...]
> Richard F. Burton, the book consists of eleven of these tales. Sir
> Richard F. Burton was an eminent British explorer speaking more than
> twenty languages and was famous for the detailed footnotes in his writings.
>     A tantric yogi is after King Vikram’s life because of the
> wrong-doings of his father. He fools the brave king to bring Baital (a
> vampire) hanging from a siras tree back to him. Baital in turn traps the
> king in an endless loop of stories. If King Vikram answers any question
> posed by the vampire during his story-telling, he will escape back to
> the tree and the king will have to start all over again. Will Vikram be
> able to escape Baital’s trap? What doom awaits when the king finally
> meets his nemesis?
>
> Thanks,
> Animesh.

Animesh Baranawal

Jun 12, 2022, 10:40:57 AM6/12/22
to Standard Ebooks
I am definitely planning to work on a second production. I was thinking to start working on Demons/The possessed by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I hope it is not taken up.
I will create a separate thread for this future production effort.

-Animesh