[Next Project] Theodore Roosevelt: An Autobiography by Theodore Roosevelt

Brad Taylor

Sep 2, 2022, 4:38:17 PM9/2/22
to Standard Ebooks
I'd like to work on this next. I can use the production of The Rough Riders as a reference.

One interesting thing I notice right away is that there are multiple appendices throughout the book, and they are not consolidated at the end; instead, they appear immediately after the chapters to which they are relevant, and there are multiple appendices with the same name ("Appendix A": example 1, example 2, example 3). I'm thinking of handling this by naming the files "appendix-7-a.xhtml" (where "7" is the chapter number and "a" is the appendix name) and making sure the spine order keeps the appendix after it's associated chapter.

Alex Cabal

Sep 2, 2022, 7:14:02 PM9/2/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, I think that makes sense.

It looks like this transcription is missing a lot of formatting. It's
going to be a lot of careful reading to make sure we get all of the
formatting back in here.

The title should be "An Autobiography" with the author as "Theodore
Roosevelt".

Vince, can you manage this with Bruce reviewing?

On 9/2/22 3:38 PM, Brad Taylor wrote:
> I'd like to work on this next. I can use the production of /The Rough
> Riders/ as a reference.
> PG transcription <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3335>
> Page scans <https://archive.org/details/theorooseauto00roosrich>
>
> One interesting thing I notice right away is that there are multiple
> appendices throughout the book, and they are not consolidated at the
> end; instead, they appear immediately after the chapters to which they
> are relevant, and there are multiple appendices with the same name
> ("Appendix A": example 1
> <https://archive.org/details/theorooseauto00roosrich/page/256/mode/2up>,
> example 2
> <https://archive.org/details/theorooseauto00roosrich/page/312/mode/2up>,
> example 3
> <https://archive.org/details/theorooseauto00roosrich/page/560/mode/2up>). I'm
> thinking of handling this by naming the files "appendix-7-a.xhtml"
> (where "7" is the chapter number and "a" is the appendix name) and
> making sure the spine order keeps the appendix after it's associated
> chapter.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/36b3ab28-47d1-48cc-ad68-3d9a623a5ccbn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/36b3ab28-47d1-48cc-ad68-3d9a623a5ccbn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Sep 2, 2022, 7:23:08 PM9/2/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Will do.

B Keith

Sep 2, 2022, 8:43:15 PM9/2/22
to Standard Ebooks
Sure thing

Brad Taylor

Sep 6, 2022, 9:37:57 AM9/6/22
to Standard Ebooks
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

bat...@hotmail.com

Sep 19, 2022, 10:16:47 AM9/19/22
to Standard Ebooks
In both the page scans and the transcription, there are multiple places where text is in square brackets. It seems like these fall into a few categories (listed below). What is the best way to handle each?
  1. Additional information that seems like it could have been a footnote (examples: page 124 "this was the first information..." and page 213 "as regards active naval..."). I think the right thing to do with these is to change them to endnotes.
  2. Redactions (examples: page 492 "So-and-so’s"). Should I just leave these as-is?
  3. Paraphrasing (examples: page 569 "are not forbidden" and "the public welfare is threatened..."). Should I just leave these as-is?

Sep 19, 2022, 10:17:05 AM9/19/22
to Standard Ebooks

Vince Rice

Sep 19, 2022, 10:52:52 AM9/19/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I don’t know what did or didn’t happen on the list, but I received eleven duplicate emails. :)

For the first examples, I agree those make sense as endnotes.

For the second, I would be inclined to use our normal 3em dash for an obscured name.

For the last, those are odd. I guess I would leave them unless Alex has a better idea.

All should be Editorial commits.

Alex Cabal

Sep 19, 2022, 11:54:47 AM9/19/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I would not change so-and-so to a three-em-dash, because it's inserted
by the author with brackets to distinguish it from the actual letter
contents. We'd wind up with a bracketed three-em-dash which I don't
think is clearly obvious what is meant.

In general, bracketed insertions are put there on purpose by the author
and we should leave them alone.

On 9/19/22 9:52 AM, Vince Rice wrote:
> I don’t know what did or didn’t happen on the list, but I received
> eleven duplicate emails. :)
>
> For the first examples, I agree those make sense as endnotes.
>
> For the second, I would be inclined to use our normal 3em dash for an
> obscured name.
>
> For the last, those are odd. I guess I would leave them unless Alex has
> a better idea.
>
> All should be Editorial commits.
>
>> On Sep 19, 2022, at 9:17 AM, Brad Taylor <btay...@outlook.com> wrote:
>>
>> In both the page scans and the transcription, there are multiple
>> places where text is in square brackets. It seems like these fall into
>> a few categories (listed below). What is the best way to handle each?
>>
>> 1. Additional information that seems like it could have been a
>> footnote (examples: page 124
>> <https://archive.org/details/theorooseauto00roosrich/page/124/mode/1up>
>> "this was the first information..." and page 213
>> <https://archive.org/details/theorooseauto00roosrich/page/213/mode/1up>
>> "as regards active naval..."). I think the right thing to do with
>> these is to change them to endnotes.
>> 2. Redactions (examples: page 492
>> <https://archive.org/details/theorooseauto00roosrich/page/492/mode/1up>
>> "So-and-so’s"). Should I just leave these as-is?
>> 3. Paraphrasing (examples: page 569
>> <https://archive.org/details/theorooseauto00roosrich/page/569/mode/1up>
>> "are not forbidden" and "the public welfare is threatened...").
>> Should I just leave these as-is?

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6A6337D3-B471-41FF-99C4-2EAAA3BE2423%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6A6337D3-B471-41FF-99C4-2EAAA3BE2423%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Brad Taylor

Sep 19, 2022, 3:28:46 PM9/19/22
to Standard Ebooks
Apologies for the multiple messages; I'm not sure what was happening on my end but the messages instantly showed as deleted.
As for the bracketed text, I will leave all of those as they are in the original text. I'm ready to start proofreading now.

Brad Taylor

Sep 21, 2022, 2:16:40 PM9/21/22
to Standard Ebooks
Cover art proposal: Theodore Roosevelt by John Singer Sargent. The PD proof comes from the page scans themselves, page 352.
207698fg.jpg

Vince

Sep 21, 2022, 2:37:15 PM9/21/22
to Standard Ebooks
Looks good. The version on Wikimedia might be a better choice, it’s a little lighter and less saturated so you can see more detail in his outfit.

On Sep 21, 2022, at 1:16 PM, Brad Taylor <btay...@outlook.com> wrote:

Cover art proposal: Theodore Roosevelt by John Singer Sargent. The PD proof comes from the page scans themselves, page 352.
<207698fg.jpg>

Brad Taylor

Sep 21, 2022, 2:54:43 PM9/21/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks! I'll use the Wikimedia version.

Alex Cabal

Sep 21, 2022, 3:37:07 PM9/21/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Can't beat John Singer Sargent!

On 9/21/22 1:37 PM, Vince wrote:
> Looks good. The version on Wikimedia
> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Theodore_Roosevelt_by_John_Singer_Sargent,_1903.jpg> might
> be a better choice, it’s a little lighter and less saturated so you can
> see more detail in his outfit.
>

>> On Sep 21, 2022, at 1:16 PM, Brad Taylor <btay...@outlook.com
>> <mailto:btay...@outlook.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Cover art proposal:Theodore Roosevelt by John Singer Sargent
>> <https://artvee.com/dl/theodore-roosevelt/>. The PD proof comes from
>> the page scans themselves,page 352
>> <https://archive.org/details/theorooseauto00roosrich/page/352/mode/2up>.
>> <207698fg.jpg>

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/240D4F93-013D-4C9A-A11F-26C14C859A54%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/240D4F93-013D-4C9A-A11F-26C14C859A54%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Brad Taylor

Sep 28, 2022, 1:11:17 PM9/28/22
to Standard Ebooks
Should any of the following hyphenated words be modernized? (se modernize-spelling doesn't detect them)
horseback-riding -> horseback riding
rifle-range -> rifle range
mountain-lion -> mountain lion
wrestling-mat -> wrestling mat
billiard-table -> billiard table
shoulder-blade -> shoulder blade
blood-vessels -> blood vessels
boxing-gloves -> boxing gloves
chair-leg -> chair leg

Alex Cabal

Sep 28, 2022, 1:12:33 PM9/28/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You can if you like but it's not required. `se modernize-spelling` only
removes dashes, it doesn't replace them with spaces.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/240D4F93-013D-4C9A-A11F-26C14C859A54%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/240D4F93-013D-4C9A-A11F-26C14C859A54%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5ae8753d-9b4c-488e-80df-e0ea7e539cd9n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5ae8753d-9b4c-488e-80df-e0ea7e539cd9n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Brad Taylor

Nov 10, 2022, 11:22:11 PM11/10/22
to Standard Ebooks
This is ready for review at https://github.com/btaylor8/theodore-roosevelt_an-autobiography. Alex, you were definitely correct about the transcription missing a lot of formatting!

B Keith

Nov 11, 2022, 11:05:51 AM11/11/22
to Standard Ebooks
Great. I will try to get to it today but it might be tomorrow…

Bruce

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/eabbefb3-1b0e-46c5-8c86-9b299cf1cfd8n%40googlegroups.com.

B Keith

Nov 12, 2022, 6:40:56 PM11/12/22
to Standard Ebooks
Ok I posted a few small issues. What a  big project: congrats.

But I have some question for the group at large. There are several appendices inline with the chapters. My  reaction would be to make them a lower level:

h2: VII: The War of America the Unready
h3: Appendicies to Chapter VII
h4: Appendix A
h4: Appendix B

But the scans make them seem like the Chapter and the Main Appendices title are both <h2>s.

Also I have generally put any drama formatted bits in <section epub:type="z3998:drama> even if they are not drama per se. Is this the Standard way? It is what I have suggested in the review.

And lastly, could someone smarter than me look at the css. It looks OK to me but it also seems a bit over done in spots. But darned if I can think of how to simplify it.

Bruce

Vince

Nov 12, 2022, 6:55:21 PM11/12/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I’m about to be AFK for the evening, but re drama, yes, that is the SE way, or at least how I’ve been told to do it multiple times in the past. I just had this come up, e.g., in a Maupassant story; part of it “looked like” drama, part of it didn’t; the part that did I formatted as drama, with the standard SE drama CSS, etc.

A lot of the existing local CSS would then be unnecessary, but it would be replaced by the standard SE drama CSS, so still plenty of CSS. :)

Alex Cabal

Nov 12, 2022, 6:59:12 PM11/12/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
The important point is that <section> implies some kind of document
division. You can have the z3998:drama semantic on any element - it
should only be <section> if <section> is in fact appropriate.

Re. appendices, typically appendices appear at the very end of a book
and are top level divisions. If these are attached to a middle chapter
then you can put them at a level below, i.e. h3, but an inbetween header
is unnecessary unless there's some additional text content at that level.

On 11/12/22 5:40 PM, B Keith wrote:
> Ok I posted a few small issues. What a  big project: congrats.
>
> But I have some question for the group at large. There are several
> appendices inline with the chapters. My  reaction would be to make them
> a lower level:
>
> h2: VII: The War of America the Unready
> h3: Appendicies to Chapter VII
> h4: Appendix A
> h4: Appendix B
>
> But the scans make them seem like the Chapter and the Main Appendices
> title are both <h2>s.
>
> Also I have generally put any drama formatted bits in <section
> epub:type="z3998:drama> even if they are not drama per se. Is this the
> Standard way? It is what I have suggested in the review.
>
> And lastly, could someone smarter than me look at the css. It looks OK
> to me but it also seems a bit over done in spots. But darned if I can
> think of how to simplify it.
>

> Bruce
>
>> On Nov 11, 2022, at 9:05 AM, B Keith <bois...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:bois...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Great. I will try to get to it today but it might be tomorrow…
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>>> On Nov 10, 2022, at 9:22 PM, Brad Taylor <btay...@outlook.com
>>> <mailto:btay...@outlook.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is ready for review
>>> athttps://github.com/btaylor8/theodore-roosevelt_an-autobiography
>>> <https://github.com/btaylor8/theodore-roosevelt_an-autobiography>.
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5ae8753d-9b4c-488e-80df-e0ea7e539cd9n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5ae8753d-9b4c-488e-80df-e0ea7e539cd9n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>>

>>> --
>>> To view this discussion on the web
>>> visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/eabbefb3-1b0e-46c5-8c86-9b299cf1cfd8n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/eabbefb3-1b0e-46c5-8c86-9b299cf1cfd8n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/83B651A5-E1DC-46AB-88B4-F4FCABBE78E8%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/83B651A5-E1DC-46AB-88B4-F4FCABBE78E8%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Brad Taylor

Nov 14, 2022, 11:15:29 AM11/14/22
to Standard Ebooks
  1. Changing the headings of the appendices down a level causes lint errors: s-085 "<h#> element found in a <section> or a <article> at an unexpected level. Hint: Headings not in the title page start at <h2>. If this work has parts, should this header be <h3> or higher?" I'm not sure of the best way to handle this; should I just add exceptions to the se-lint-ignore file? Or should I further restructure the headings to avoid the lint errors in the first place?
  2. As for the drama question, I have included the original text of the parts of the book in question below; they are very brief and fit in with the surrounding narrative, so to me these are not different sections, and I'm leaning toward not adding the `<section epub:type="z3998:drama >` tags.
ch3-drama.png
ch9-drama.png

Vince

Nov 14, 2022, 12:39:32 PM11/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Re drama, correct, that was Alex’s point—you don’t have to use a section to use the drama tags and CSS. You can just create a table for the dialog and give it the drama tag (this happens in epigraphs on a frequent basis). I’m not saying you should, just that you can; whether you should is between you and Bruce. :)

On Nov 14, 2022, at 10:15 AM, Brad Taylor <btay...@outlook.com> wrote:
  1. Changing the headings of the appendices down a level causes lint errors: s-085 "<h#> element found in a <section> or a <article> at an unexpected level. Hint: Headings not in the title page start at <h2>. If this work has parts, should this header be <h3> or higher?" I'm not sure of the best way to handle this; should I just add exceptions to the se-lint-ignore file? Or should I further restructure the headings to avoid the lint errors in the first place?
  2. As for the drama question, I have included the original text of the parts of the book in question below; they are very brief and fit in with the surrounding narrative, so to me these are not different sections, and I'm leaning toward not adding the `<section epub:type="z3998:drama >` tags.
<ch3-drama.png>

Brad Taylor

Nov 14, 2022, 4:27:20 PM11/14/22
to Standard Ebooks
I found a way to restructure the appendices so they are at the `<h3>` level and `se lint` is happy, but it involves splitting the appendices into different files and changing the semantics to `z3998:subchapter` instead of `appendix`, so I made a new branch "appendix-restructuring." Can someone take a look and see what you think? It may be a little too much but it produces a nice structure to the ToC.
2022-11-14 16_26_31-Table of Contents — Mozilla Firefox.png

B Keith

Nov 14, 2022, 6:45:57 PM11/14/22
to Standard Ebooks
Looks good to me. One might go with epub:type=“appendix" and ignore lint but I think we will leave that for Alex to decide.

Please add the  drama tags to the tables, update the css as per the SEMOS and we should be almost there.

On Nov 14, 2022, at 2:27 PM, Brad Taylor <btay...@outlook.com> wrote:

I found a way to restructure the appendices so they are at the `<h3>` level and `se lint` is happy, but it involves splitting the appendices into different files and changing the semantics to `z3998:subchapter` instead of `appendix`, so I made a new branch "appendix-restructuring." Can someone take a look and see what you think? It may be a little too much but it produces a nice structure to the ToC.

Alex Cabal

Nov 14, 2022, 10:40:59 PM11/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
If they're appendices then they need that semantic. It's fine to add
ignore exceptions in cases like these.

On 11/14/22 5:45 PM, B Keith wrote:
> Looks good to me. One might go with epub:type=“appendix" and ignore lint
> but I think we will leave that for Alex to decide.
>
> Please add the  drama tags to the tables, update the css as per the
> SEMOS and we should be almost there.

>> On Nov 14, 2022, at 2:27 PM, Brad Taylor <btay...@outlook.com
>> <mailto:btay...@outlook.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I found a way to restructure the appendices so they are at the `<h3>`
>> level and `se lint` is happy, but it involves splitting the appendices
>> into different files and changing the semantics to `z3998:subchapter`
>> instead of `appendix`, so I made a new branch
>> "appendix-restructuring." Can someone take a look and see what you
>> think? It may be a little too much but it produces a nice structure to
>> the ToC.
>> <2022-11-14 16_26_31-Table of Contents — Mozilla Firefox.png>
>>
>> On Monday, November 14, 2022 at 12:39:32 PM UTC-5 Vince wrote:
>>
>> Re drama, correct, that was Alex’s point—you don’t have to use a
>> section to use the drama tags and CSS. You can just create a table
>> for the dialog and give it the drama tag (this happens in
>> epigraphs on a frequent basis). I’m not saying you /should/, just
>> that you /can/; whether youshould is between you and Bruce. :)
>>
>>> On Nov 14, 2022, at 10:15 AM, Brad Taylor <btay...@outlook.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> 1. Changing the headings of the appendices down a level causes
>>> lint errors: s-085 "<h#> element found in a <section> or a
>>> <article> at an unexpected level. Hint: Headings not in the
>>> title page start at <h2>. If this work has parts, should this
>>> header be <h3> or higher?" I'm not sure of the best way to
>>> handle this; should I just add exceptions to the
>>> se-lint-ignore file? Or should I further restructure the
>>> headings to avoid the lint errors in the first place?
>>> 2. As for the drama question, I have included the original text
>> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/adf974ad-0962-4d5a-9c73-098eb4d0848cn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/adf974ad-0962-4d5a-9c73-098eb4d0848cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>> <2022-11-14 16_26_31-Table of Contents — Mozilla Firefox.png>

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Brad Taylor

Nov 14, 2022, 11:17:28 PM11/14/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks for all the input! This has definitely been a more challenging production than my previous ones.
Changing the semantics back to epub:type="appendix" did not create any lint errors and maintains the same ToC structure (I must have done something wrong earlier when I thought it needed changed to z3998:subchapter).
I added the <section epub:type="z3998:drama"> tags & the associated CSS from the SEMoS.
All of the GitHub issues have been addressed, and this is ready for review again (this time with some notes on exceptions with se modernize-spelling :-) ) : https://github.com/btaylor8/theodore-roosevelt_an-autobiography
  • se modernize-spelling wants to change "The Life-Saving Society" to "The Lifesaving Society," but I rejected this because it is the proper name of an organization
  • se modernize-spelling wants to change "any body" to "anybody" in Chapter 13, line 67, but "any body" is the correct usage in this case

B Keith

Nov 15, 2022, 9:55:09 AM11/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
As far as I can tell this should be ready for you Alex.

Bruce

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9c66c31c-0777-441a-9659-dfabe1eea424n%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Cabal

Nov 15, 2022, 1:40:08 PM11/15/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I think we still need a little work:

- Foreword: Remove dateline semantic from the footer, the foreword is
not a letter

- chapter 3: As I mentioned earlier, you should not use a <section> to
offset drama. <section> means a document division that should appear in
the ToC. What you are actually looking for is <blockquote>, with drama
semantics.

- Same in chapter 9.

- Appendix 7b: we should not use <hr/> to separate blockquotes. There
are no lines in print, and a series of blockquotes does necessarily mean
they are thematically different.

- Appendix 7b: When using the elision class in the letters, you should
center the dots. You also can't use <span>s like that; <span> must be
contained by a block level element like <p>. Just use <p> instead. The
style you copied is for poetry only so it must be adapted for prose.

- Appendix 7b: line 60 has an empty <span> wrapping the initials. It
doesn't look like it's doing anything. You should remove any such empty
wrapping elements.

The table in chapter 1 needs a little more work:

- The entire thing is not a table; the only tabular data is the sum of
costs. Rather, the entire thing should be a blockquote which contains a
table.

- It's missing italics in the header and small caps in the signatures.
It should also have some padding.

- <hr/> is not appropriate in this table. <hr/> does not mean "I want to
put a line here", <hr/> means "thematic break". If you want a line that
is not a thematic break, you can use CSS, for example, td{ border-top:
1px solid } (using the appropriate selector of course)

- Numbers must be right-aligned because we're adding sums. You must also
have tabular-nums CSS:
https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.7.0/single-page#8.19.1

- Use tfoot for the total/subtotal area. It should be aligned as it is
in print.

- The table ends after the footer containing the sums. The rest of the
text can just be <p>s and signatures.

- There is a possible typo in the print: "Minnister"?

On 11/15/22 8:55 AM, B Keith wrote:
> As far as I can tell this should be ready for you Alex.
>
> Bruce
>
>> On Nov 14, 2022, at 9:17 PM, Brad Taylor <btay...@outlook.com
>> <mailto:btay...@outlook.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for all the input! This has definitely been a more challenging
>> production than my previous ones.
>> Changing the semantics back to epub:type="appendix" did not create any
>> lint errors and maintains the same ToC structure (I must have done
>> something wrong earlier when I thought it needed changed to
>> z3998:subchapter).
>> I added the <section epub:type="z3998:drama"> tags & the associated
>> CSS from the SEMoS.
>> All of the GitHub issues have been addressed, and this is ready for
>> review again (this time with some notes on exceptions with se
>> modernize-spelling :-) ) :
>> https://github.com/btaylor8/theodore-roosevelt_an-autobiography
>> <https://github.com/btaylor8/theodore-roosevelt_an-autobiography>
>>
>> * se modernize-spelling wants to change "The Life-Saving Society" to
>> "The Lifesaving Society," but I rejected this because it is the
>> proper name of an organization
>> * se modernize-spelling wants to change "any body" to "anybody" in
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/adf974ad-0962-4d5a-9c73-098eb4d0848cn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/adf974ad-0962-4d5a-9c73-098eb4d0848cn%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/adf974ad-0962-4d5a-9c73-098eb4d0848cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/adf974ad-0962-4d5a-9c73-098eb4d0848cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>> >
>> > --
>> it, send
>> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
>> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
>> >
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9c66c31c-0777-441a-9659-dfabe1eea424n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9c66c31c-0777-441a-9659-dfabe1eea424n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C8FBBEE2-B879-4943-8A05-80A8E19553DE%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C8FBBEE2-B879-4943-8A05-80A8E19553DE%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Nov 15, 2022, 1:41:00 PM11/15/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Also, I see the print edition has photographs which we can include, as
this is a nonfiction autobiography. Can you include the illustrations?
See the manual for formatting, and you'll have to add an LoI

On 11/15/22 8:55 AM, B Keith wrote:
> As far as I can tell this should be ready for you Alex.
>
> Bruce
>
>> On Nov 14, 2022, at 9:17 PM, Brad Taylor <btay...@outlook.com
>> <mailto:btay...@outlook.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for all the input! This has definitely been a more challenging
>> production than my previous ones.
>> Changing the semantics back to epub:type="appendix" did not create any
>> lint errors and maintains the same ToC structure (I must have done
>> something wrong earlier when I thought it needed changed to
>> z3998:subchapter).
>> I added the <section epub:type="z3998:drama"> tags & the associated
>> CSS from the SEMoS.
>> All of the GitHub issues have been addressed, and this is ready for
>> review again (this time with some notes on exceptions with se
>> modernize-spelling :-) ) :
>> https://github.com/btaylor8/theodore-roosevelt_an-autobiography
>> <https://github.com/btaylor8/theodore-roosevelt_an-autobiography>
>>
>> * se modernize-spelling wants to change "The Life-Saving Society" to
>> "The Lifesaving Society," but I rejected this because it is the
>> proper name of an organization
>> * se modernize-spelling wants to change "any body" to "anybody" in
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/adf974ad-0962-4d5a-9c73-098eb4d0848cn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/adf974ad-0962-4d5a-9c73-098eb4d0848cn%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/adf974ad-0962-4d5a-9c73-098eb4d0848cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/adf974ad-0962-4d5a-9c73-098eb4d0848cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>> >
>> > --
>> it, send
>> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
>> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
>> >
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9c66c31c-0777-441a-9659-dfabe1eea424n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9c66c31c-0777-441a-9659-dfabe1eea424n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C8FBBEE2-B879-4943-8A05-80A8E19553DE%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C8FBBEE2-B879-4943-8A05-80A8E19553DE%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Brad Taylor

Nov 18, 2022, 9:57:39 AM11/18/22
to Standard Ebooks
Regarding the drama semantics, I happened to read Flatland by Edwin A. Abbott this week, and I noticed there are multiple places where dialog is formatted using the below example from Chapter 14. I think using this method would be better than what I had done previously (using drama tables) because it more accurately represents the original scans. Are there any objections to me going that route? This will allow me to simplify the CSS as well.

B Keith

Nov 18, 2022, 10:13:34 AM11/18/22
to Standard Ebooks
I  don’t have any objection (although you will still need the stage directions css. But ultimately its Alex’s call.

Bruce

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/19dbbb1d-ff6b-49d4-a6f1-74fb318cb584n%40googlegroups.com.

C T

Nov 18, 2022, 1:30:07 PM11/18/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I did something similar in The Path to Rome, because of the 'Lector' / 'Auctor' literary device Belloc used.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/19dbbb1d-ff6b-49d4-a6f1-74fb318cb584n%40googlegroups.com.

David at Standard Ebooks

Nov 18, 2022, 6:08:18 PM11/18/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Pilgrim’s Progress, which I produced, also has lots of this pattern.

Alex Cabal

Nov 18, 2022, 6:39:56 PM11/18/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, you can follow the patter in in another book. That makes sense.

On 11/18/22 9:13 AM, B Keith wrote:
> [...]
>> >> >

>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5F38B015-3C8B-42A2-AF9C-AD7B5A851F79%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.

>> it, send
>> >>
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9c66c31c-0777-441a-9659-dfabe1eea424n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9c66c31c-0777-441a-9659-dfabe1eea424n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9c66c31c-0777-441a-9659-dfabe1eea424n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9c66c31c-0777-441a-9659-dfabe1eea424n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>> >
>> > --
>> it, send
>> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
>> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
>> >
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C8FBBEE2-B879-4943-8A05-80A8E19553DE%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C8FBBEE2-B879-4943-8A05-80A8E19553DE%40gmail.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C8FBBEE2-B879-4943-8A05-80A8E19553DE%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C8FBBEE2-B879-4943-8A05-80A8E19553DE%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/19dbbb1d-ff6b-49d4-a6f1-74fb318cb584n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/19dbbb1d-ff6b-49d4-a6f1-74fb318cb584n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8C58D849-5699-4194-96B3-7948517AE2ED%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8C58D849-5699-4194-96B3-7948517AE2ED%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Brad Taylor

Nov 22, 2022, 11:27:49 AM11/22/22
to Standard Ebooks
I've addressed all of the issues and this is ready for review again: https://github.com/btaylor8/theodore-roosevelt_an-autobiography. Here are a few notes:
  • `se find-mismatched-dashes` did not find mismatches between "laissez faire" and "laissez-faire"; MW uses "laissez-faire" so I used that throughout
  • SEMoS does not specify where in the spine order the `loi.xhtml` file should be placed (but the step-by-step guide does say "after the endnotes but before the colophon")
  • SEMoS does not have any information regarding frontispiece, so I followed examples I found in the existing Standard Ebooks GitHub repos
  • `se build-title` gives the warning "Couldn't deduce title for file" for the `frontispiece.xhtml` file (just a warning, not an error)
  • ignored `se modernize-spelling` [chapter-6]: Life-Saving Society -> Lifesaving Society; it is a proper name of an organization
  • ignored `se modernize-spelling` [chapter-13]: any body -> anybody; any body is the correct usage in this case
  • ignored `se semanticate` [appendix-7-b]: the "V." in this case means "Volunteers," not a Roman numeral

Alex Cabal

Nov 22, 2022, 3:05:46 PM11/22/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK great work, thanks! I've gone ahead and released it.

I made a few more tweaks to the chapter 1 table - there should not be
blockquotes within blockquotes, as those are not quotations. If you want
to apply a margin to something you can do that with CSS and not blockquotes.

Also there was missing formatting on the very first item in appendix 7b.
You styled them as direct paragraph children of the appendix, but
they're a blockquote. (This also makes it easier to style.)

Great work on getting the illustrations in, and correctly rotated and
colored.

Let us know what you'd like to work on next!