KFX eBooks

Vivek Sharma

May 15, 2022, 9:32:29 PM5/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hello,

Would it be possible to package the eBooks in the KFX format which is superior to azw3 for reading on Kindle eReaders? This would make the Standard Ebook reading experience more enjoyable on Kindles.

Anthony J. Bentley

May 16, 2022, 12:11:32 AM5/16/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
As far as I’m aware, KFX is still a proprietary format and Calibre’s only support for it requires running through Amazon’s closed-source Kindle Previewer. That seems like a showstopper for integration into the SE toolkit.

If that hurdle can be overcome, it would be good to provide KFX. I often convert SE books manually before reading because Kindle’s KFX rendering is noticeably better than AZW3.

Alex Cabal

May 16, 2022, 12:38:40 PM5/16/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
KFX is an undocumented proprietary format with too many gotchas to be
worth it. See the "Warnings and limitations" section of this post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272407

As I often say, Kindle is an ereader by people who hate books. KFX (and
the 100 other ebook formats Amazon has invented for some reason) is a
great example of that.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/734D45EE-0933-46D6-8EAF-8F1EAAB61E9C%40roadrunner.page
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/734D45EE-0933-46D6-8EAF-8F1EAAB61E9C%40roadrunner.page?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Mike Colagrosso

May 16, 2022, 6:10:58 PM5/16/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Vivek,

I bought a used Kobo Forma for reading Standard Ebooks, and it's a great experience. That's probably not a suggestion you were looking for, but consider it anyway. If you can appreciate the difference between azw3 and KFX (e.g., the option for ragged-right alignment), I bet you'd further appreciate Standard Ebooks on a Kobo.

If you're like me, you have Kindle books that aren't going anywhere, but I bought a different device anyway, and it was worth it.

Vivek Sharma

May 18, 2022, 6:58:51 PM5/18/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hello,

Yes, I am aware of all the limitations of the KFX format which would make it impractical to adopt. And while I am aware of all the benefits of a Kobo, unfortunately I already have a Kindle Oasis and am not in a position where I can practically purchase a new Kobo equivalent to it.