[New Project] The Mystery of The Yellow Room, by Gaston Leroux

Chris Tompkinson

Jul 27, 2022, 6:57:57 AM7/27/22
to Standard Ebooks
I'd quite like to have a shot at this as my first submission.

There are several scans of the 1908 Brentano's version on the Hathi Trust, e.g. https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044011850641&view=1up&seq=13.

It's a translated book, which was done by an anonymous translator. I believe the Brentano's is the first translated edition so is it correct to include them as the translator in create-draft, or omit it?

Chris

Alex Cabal

Jul 27, 2022, 12:21:16 PM7/27/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great, that one would be a good start.

It looks like PG removed formatting in their transcription, especially
around chapter 18. This means they may have also removed italics. Please
eyeball each page of the page scans to see if there are italics that
need to be restored, or any other formatting like theme breaks or
letters, that might have been removed in the transcription.

Otherwise this will be fairly straightforward!

Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting,
as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
particular, please closely review the semantics, high level patterns,
and typography sections:

https://standardebooks.org/manual

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography

The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:

https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
whatever problem you've encountered.

When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
that I can mark you as having started.

Have fun! :)
> to include them as the translator in /create-draft/, or omit it?
>
> Chris

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/71b58a46-7752-4cd9-bbd8-f74f56ce16a1n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/71b58a46-7752-4cd9-bbd8-f74f56ce16a1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Jul 27, 2022, 12:26:05 PM7/27/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Re. the translator, if the translator is unknown then set it to the name
of the publishing company/publisher.

There are also a few more things to keep in mind:

- I think we can remove the scare quotes from "The Yellow Room" and
lowercase The where appropriate in a sentence, including the main title.
The constant scare quotes are tedious.

- On page 3 there's a newspaper name in quotes - these will have to be
italicized instead. See the manual for when to italicize vs quote and
pay attention as you read for items that you'll have to change.

- On page 3 there's also a long quotation that should be offset in a
blockquote. Keep an eye out for other similar situations.

Chris Tompkinson

Jul 27, 2022, 3:20:12 PM7/27/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Alex,
Thanks for the tips, I've started working my way through the step by step guide, you can find my repo here:

https://github.com/tompko/gaston-leroux_the-mystery-of-the-yellow-room_brentanos

Alex Cabal

Jul 27, 2022, 3:30:19 PM7/27/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Vince, can you manage this with Bruce reviewing?
> > https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics>
> >

> https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns>
>

> > https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography>
> >
> > The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:
> >

> https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step <https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step>
>

> > Please email often if you have any questions at all.  Our
> standards are
> > well-established so there is probably already a standard for
> formatting
> > whatever problem you've encountered.
> >
> > When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github
> repository so
> > that I can mark you as having started.
> >
> > Have fun! :)
> >

> > On 7/27/22 5:57 AM, Chris Tompkinson wrote:
> >> I'd quite like to have a shot at this as my first submission.
> >>
> >> There are several scans of the 1908 Brentano's version on the Hathi
> >> Trust,
> >> e.g.
> https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044011850641&view=1up&seq=13
> <https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044011850641&view=1up&seq=13>.
>

> >> It's a translated book, which was done by an anonymous
> translator. I
> >> believe the Brentano's is the first translated edition so is it
> >> correct to include them as the translator in /create-draft/, or
> omit it?
> >>
> >> Chris
> >>
> >> --
> it, send
> >> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> >> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/71b58a46-7752-4cd9-bbd8-f74f56ce16a1n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/71b58a46-7752-4cd9-bbd8-f74f56ce16a1n%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/71b58a46-7752-4cd9-bbd8-f74f56ce16a1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/71b58a46-7752-4cd9-bbd8-f74f56ce16a1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/91157079-7306-4e80-8a5f-44d9adec4226n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/91157079-7306-4e80-8a5f-44d9adec4226n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Jul 27, 2022, 3:31:46 PM7/27/22
to Standard Ebooks
Sure.

Vince Rice

Sep 16, 2022, 10:36:19 AM9/16/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hey, Chris, just checking in to see how things are going.

On Jul 27, 2022, at 2:31 PM, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org> wrote:

Sure.

Alex Cabal

Nov 19, 2022, 2:11:12 PM11/19/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi there, I haven't heard from you in a while, and your ebook's Github
repo hasn't had any activity for a while either. So, I'm assuming
production is either stalled or abandoned, and I'm putting your ebook
back on our wanted list so someone else can work on it.

If you're still actively making timely progress on your ebook, please
let me know and I'm happy to put your ebook back in the "in production"
list for as long as you need. Otherwise, there's nothing else you need
to do.

Have a good one!