[Next project] Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens

Lan Wang

Feb 20, 2022, 12:26:40 AM2/20/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Alex and team

I'm back after a break and am interested now in working on Dombey and Son, if that suits and no one else has put their hand up.

Thanks
Cheers, Lan

Alex Cabal

Feb 20, 2022, 6:46:08 PM2/20/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, go for it!
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/fba30ff0-8c47-449a-b630-b63264b0773fn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/fba30ff0-8c47-449a-b630-b63264b0773fn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lan Wang

Feb 21, 2022, 8:32:25 PM2/21/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Alex

The version of the book (1921) that I'd like to use includes quite a nice (but quite long) chronology of Dicken's life (set up in table format: year, age, life, literary context, historical events) at the beginning of the book, which isn't included in the Gutenberg version. Should I add it? Not too much typing is involved but it would make a rather large table and perhaps be a bit unwieldy. In the printed book, the age and life info is presented on separate pages from the literary/historical info.

Thanks

Cheers, Lan

Alex Cabal

Feb 21, 2022, 8:45:15 PM2/21/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Lan Wang

Feb 26, 2022, 1:05:43 AM2/26/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks Alex.

I hope I've found a good cover for Dombey and Son. It's St Paul's from the River Thames, 1877, by Henry Dawson, housed at the Birmingham Museums, CC0

Fortunately, the Birmingham gallery produced an 1892 catalogue (https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008692728) that includes an image the work (the reproduction is terrible, but I'm pretty sure it's not a sketch or engraving, but an actual reproduction):

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Cheers, Lan

David Grigg

Feb 26, 2022, 2:09:14 AM2/26/22
to Standard Ebooks
The gallery has declared it CC0, so that’s PD proof in itself, so you should be good to go. Alex has the final say, of course, but it’s a good pic.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b3fbb0e0-29d6-4591-91fc-1bb71ffee094n%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Cabal

Feb 26, 2022, 12:14:07 PM2/26/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That works, thanks!

On 2/26/22 12:05 AM, Lan Wang wrote:
> Thanks Alex.
>
> I hope I've found a good cover for /Dombey and Son/. It's /St Paul's
> from the River Thames/, 1877, by Henry Dawson, housed at the Birmingham
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5d5a5f9f-743b-49a2-a4e6-ab4bca522b86n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5d5a5f9f-743b-49a2-a4e6-ab4bca522b86n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b3fbb0e0-29d6-4591-91fc-1bb71ffee094n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b3fbb0e0-29d6-4591-91fc-1bb71ffee094n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lan Wang

Feb 27, 2022, 2:06:21 AM2/27/22
to Standard Ebooks
Another question: the version of Dombey and Son transcribed by Gutenberg appears to have been from a proof of the book rather than the final published version (not sure how that happened!). I realised this belatedly as the last paras didn't match what was in the printed version (I've checked several different editions and they all end the same way - differently from the Gutenberg version). One of the annotated published versions (Penguin) actually notes that those last paras were removed from the final pre-press version. Now that I've delved further into the text, there are numerous such differences between the Gutenberg and printed versions - whole paras and sequences have been removed in the printed versions.

I'm more than happy to keep going correcting these (I've already done a lot of the se work on this version). It's not difficult as I'm already going to have to proof it carefully anyway. However, I'm wondering if a note should be made of these differences somewhere in the EPUB? It's a shame that the Gutenberg version is so different as I can see that people have been using it to quote from (including the omitted paras!) And I don't want people to think that the SE version is wrong. Also, presumably Gutenberg should be notified of this?

Thanks
Cheers, Lan

Alex Cabal

Feb 28, 2022, 3:46:39 PM2/28/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
It's not uncommon for Dickens to have differing editions. Are you
positive that it's from a proof? I don't know how a proof could be
actually published and in enough numbers for PG to easily find a copy.
Maybe they assembled it from the serialization, which may have been
different than the single-volume novel edition?

Whatever the case we should generally do what the latest novel version
does. Presumably that one was revised by Dickens after early editions to
whatever form he thought best. You can mention this in the long
description as it's interesting to a reader. You may also make a note in
the production-notes saying that we differ significantly from the PG
transcription which was used as a base.

On 2/27/22 1:06 AM, Lan Wang wrote:
> Another question: the version of /Dombey and Son/ transcribed by
> <https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008692728>) that includes an
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b3fbb0e0-29d6-4591-91fc-1bb71ffee094n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b3fbb0e0-29d6-4591-91fc-1bb71ffee094n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5fdd7b8d-3d38-4204-a07a-a2a21d519c18n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5fdd7b8d-3d38-4204-a07a-a2a21d519c18n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lan Wang

Feb 28, 2022, 8:13:28 PM2/28/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Alex

According to the Penguin 2002 edition, "Dickens cancelled the following at proof-stage:" But as you say, it would have been serialised originally and so when they say "proof-stage", they probably are talking about the serialised parts being put together for publication in a single volume. Anyway, I've checked several versions of printed books (from the first edition to recent ones in the 2000s) and they all lack the same sections compared to the Gutenberg version. PG must have used the serialised version I guess.

Anyway, as you suggest, I'll add in a note in the long description and production notes.

Thanks
Cheers, Lan

Lan Wang

May 14, 2022, 11:54:20 PM5/14/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Alex and team

I've completed the proofing of Dombey and Son and have updated all the required files as usual. However, I have one remaining error from se lint that I can't seem to solve. It says that I have double spaces in Chapter 56 (but unfortunately doesn't tell me where they are). I've tried using Find to locate two normal spaces, two nbsp, and nbsp followed and preceded by a normal space, and can't find anything, so I'm stumped. Do you have any suggestions?

Everything else has passed through fine, so I'm keen to get this last bit done so I can finish this one!

Thanks
Cheers, Lan

Weijia Cheng

May 15, 2022, 12:14:48 AM5/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
The regex for the double space check is "[{se.NO_BREAK_SPACE}{se.HAIR_SPACE} ]{{2,}}". It looks like since you tried normal space and nbsp, it might be a hair space causing the double-space.

Lan Wang

May 15, 2022, 1:42:35 AM5/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks so much! That worked!

Cheers, Lan

Lan Wang

May 15, 2022, 2:22:44 AM5/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi all

I've finished preparing Dombey and Son. It all appears to be OK at my end. I hope it is at yours too!

Thanks
Cheers, Lan

Alex Cabal

May 15, 2022, 12:39:37 PM5/15/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Jason, would you like to review this?

On 5/15/22 1:22 AM, Lan Wang wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've finished preparing Dombey and Son. It all appears to be OK at my
> end. I hope it is at yours too!
>
> Thanks
> Cheers, Lan
>
> On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 3:42:35 PM UTC+10 Lan Wang wrote:
>
> Thanks so much! That worked!
>
> Cheers, Lan
>
> On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 2:14:48 PM UTC+10 weijia...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> The regex for the double space check is
> "[{se.NO_BREAK_SPACE}{se.HAIR_SPACE} ]{{2,}}"
> <https://github.com/standardebooks/tools/blob/c540d16964334b793810bb73e88e928dd054ac74/se/se_epub_lint.py#L2727>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5fdd7b8d-3d38-4204-a07a-a2a21d519c18n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5fdd7b8d-3d38-4204-a07a-a2a21d519c18n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/59953080-4bbd-4e87-9bb4-843929725632n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/59953080-4bbd-4e87-9bb4-843929725632n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

May 15, 2022, 12:40:13 PM5/15/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Do you have a link to your repo?

On 5/15/22 1:22 AM, Lan Wang wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've finished preparing Dombey and Son. It all appears to be OK at my
> end. I hope it is at yours too!
>
> Thanks
> Cheers, Lan
>
> On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 3:42:35 PM UTC+10 Lan Wang wrote:
>
> Thanks so much! That worked!
>
> Cheers, Lan
>
> On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 2:14:48 PM UTC+10 weijia...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> The regex for the double space check is
> "[{se.NO_BREAK_SPACE}{se.HAIR_SPACE} ]{{2,}}"
> <https://github.com/standardebooks/tools/blob/c540d16964334b793810bb73e88e928dd054ac74/se/se_epub_lint.py#L2727>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5fdd7b8d-3d38-4204-a07a-a2a21d519c18n%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5fdd7b8d-3d38-4204-a07a-a2a21d519c18n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5fdd7b8d-3d38-4204-a07a-a2a21d519c18n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/59953080-4bbd-4e87-9bb4-843929725632n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/59953080-4bbd-4e87-9bb4-843929725632n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jason DeCock

May 15, 2022, 7:26:35 PM5/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
Sure, I'll take a look. Lan, can you post the link to the repository?

Alex Cabal

May 15, 2022, 7:29:25 PM5/15/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Lan Wang

May 15, 2022, 8:25:41 PM5/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
The repository is at: https://github.com/alphgal/charles-dickens_dombey-and-son

Thanks!

Cheers, Lan

Jason DeCock

May 15, 2022, 9:44:23 PM5/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
So I see that you started the project back in February, but in the meantime there's been some updates to the toolset. Can you please make sure that you're using the latest version (step #1 - https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step) and rerun:
  • se semanticate .
  • se modernize-spelling .
  • se build-toc .
  • se build-images .
I see a bunch of changes when I run them. Some of the changes made by semanticate and modernize-spelling probably shouldn't be made, but I do see at least a few valid changes mixed in. Remember to include the "[Editorial]" tag on any changes made by modernize-spelling. Once you get those changes made, I'll take a closer look. Thanks!

Lan Wang

May 16, 2022, 2:07:08 AM5/16/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK. Thanks Jason. I’ll let you know when I’ve done it.

Cheers, Lan

Lan Wang

May 16, 2022, 3:44:51 AM5/16/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Jason

OK. I've updated all those bits. Most of the modernize changes were not correct, but it did pick up a few issues.

I ran se lint again and it came up clean.

Hope it's all OK now.

Thanks

Cheers, Lan

Jason DeCock

May 16, 2022, 10:44:35 AM5/16/22
to Standard Ebooks
Great. I'll take another look.

Jason DeCock

May 16, 2022, 4:28:44 PM5/16/22
to Standard Ebooks
I added some issues for you to take a look at. There's a typographic, semantic, and modernization changes that still need to be made, but the biggest pain is going to be the two commits that have both editorial and non-editorial changes mixed together. You'll need to do a rebase to split those out and properly tag them.

C T

May 17, 2022, 10:20:14 AM5/17/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Often that seems to happen for me when there's a HTML element followed by a space and preceded by a space.

regex searching for " <.+> " sometimes can help depending on which regex your editor uses

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3764389e-e0ac-4a3e-987d-bccf2453448an%40googlegroups.com.

Jason DeCock

May 22, 2022, 8:49:31 PM5/22/22
to Standard Ebooks
Alex, would you mind chiming in on the issue thread: https://github.com/alphgal/charles-dickens_dombey-and-son/issues/1

Alex Cabal

Jun 19, 2022, 7:43:13 PM6/19/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Lan, are you making progress on this?
>> <https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step>)
>> and rerun:
>>
>> * se semanticate .
>> * se modernize-spelling .
>> * se build-toc .
>> * se build-images .
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/59953080-4bbd-4e87-9bb4-843929725632n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/59953080-4bbd-4e87-9bb4-843929725632n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6b50db1f-faeb-48e3-9ab6-45189514ac5cn%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6b50db1f-faeb-48e3-9ab6-45189514ac5cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/08d2f2ba-88d8-45ab-bd43-e0297cffb595n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/08d2f2ba-88d8-45ab-bd43-e0297cffb595n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lan Wang

Jun 19, 2022, 11:14:07 PM6/19/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex

As I mentioned before, I’m on holiday until the end of the month so won’t be able to do anya out this until I get back.

Cheers, Lan

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e6a80f4-fa96-29c5-7bae-f9858df8e45c%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Jun 19, 2022, 11:14:44 PM6/19/22