[Next Project] The Two Noble Kinsmen by William Shakespeare

Emma Sweeney

Aug 15, 2022, 6:54:08 PM8/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
While I'm finishing up the five plays on the Wanted List, I thought I could also work on The Two Noble Kinsmen. This would complete the SE Shakespeare collection. This one will be very time consuming.

PG has a transcription taken from C. F. Tucker Brooke's 1908 edition of The Shakespeare Apocrypha, which contains archaic language. I found an edition that contains this play and has similar dialog and stage direction placements like in Victoria. The 1896 Royal Shakepere edition modernizes the spelling and capitalization. The OCR for Royal Shakepere is so bad that updating the language in the PG transcription would be less work than fixing the OCR.

The only deviations from this edition I would recommend is to spell out the characters' order of appearances (1, 2, 3 --> First, Second, Third)  and modernize some abbreviations (you 're --> you're, 't will --> 'twill, etc.). These changes would make this edition feel more like the Victoria edition.

I haven't found any cover art yet.

Emma

Alex Cabal

Aug 15, 2022, 11:28:39 PM8/15/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
So this one was not in Victoria?

It looks like modern scholarship considers it a joint production, is
that right? So we should have two authors?
> <https://archive.org/details/cu31924056255031/page/424/mode/1up>
>

> Emma

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7171b020-c121-45df-bdc1-dd9a50dcfc88n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7171b020-c121-45df-bdc1-dd9a50dcfc88n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Emma Sweeney

Aug 15, 2022, 11:37:07 PM8/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
Yes, this play is not in Victoria.

Also yes, there are two authors, John Fletcher and William Shakespeare. I accidentally left of John Fletcher in the message subject.

Emma

Alex Cabal

Aug 16, 2022, 11:11:52 AM8/16/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, that all sounds good. se create-draft should allow for multiple
authors, something like `se create-draft --author "Shakespeare"
"Fletcher"`. See Lyrical Ballads or Communist Manifesto for multiple
author examples.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7171b020-c121-45df-bdc1-dd9a50dcfc88n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7171b020-c121-45df-bdc1-dd9a50dcfc88n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4aed2065-924c-45bb-8a7f-bad1ff2a7d66n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4aed2065-924c-45bb-8a7f-bad1ff2a7d66n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Emma Sweeney

Sep 16, 2022, 1:08:32 AM9/16/22
to Standard Ebooks
I'm starting to look for cover art. Here's what I've found so far.

1.
twonoblekinsmen1.jpg

2.
twonoblekinsmen2.jpg

3.
twonoblekinsmen3.jpg

Emma

Alex Cabal

Sep 17, 2022, 6:11:49 PM9/17/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
How are these related to the play?

The woman has a badminton racket and a shuttlecock - is that on purpose?

On 9/16/22 12:08 AM, Emma Sweeney wrote:
> I'm starting to look for cover art. Here's what I've found so far.
>
> 1.
> twonoblekinsmen1.jpg
> CC0 proof
> <https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/437327?what=Paintings&amp;ao=on&amp;showOnly=openAccess&amp;ft=rinaldo&amp;offset=0&amp;rpp=40&amp;pos=1>
>
> 2.
> twonoblekinsmen2.jpg
> CC0 proof <https://zbiory.mnk.pl/en/search-result/catalog/279945>
>
> 3.
> twonoblekinsmen3.jpg
> CC0 proof
> <https://collections.artsmia.org/art/80860/battledore-albert-joseph-moore>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4aed2065-924c-45bb-8a7f-bad1ff2a7d66n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4aed2065-924c-45bb-8a7f-bad1ff2a7d66n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3c427b08-b56e-44a1-ab20-6365db20141en%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3c427b08-b56e-44a1-ab20-6365db20141en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Emma Sweeney

Sep 17, 2022, 6:39:39 PM9/17/22
to Standard Ebooks
Cover #1: Palamon and Arcite go off to fight each other for Emilia's hand in marriage.

Cover #2: Palamon and Arcite are imprisoned after they were defeated by Theseus.

Cover #3: Princess Emilia, Hippolyta's beautiful sister, is the main cause of Palamon and Arcite's rivalry. Her outfit fits the play's setting in ancient Greece.

Emma

Alex Cabal

Sep 17, 2022, 6:47:55 PM9/17/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK. I think the badminton stuff in 3 is too anachronistic. 2 might work
except they appear to be walking together towards a monster instead of
fighting each other. So maybe 2 is best.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3c427b08-b56e-44a1-ab20-6365db20141en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3c427b08-b56e-44a1-ab20-6365db20141en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7381bdf8-de21-4877-9fe4-7ab6816d56abn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7381bdf8-de21-4877-9fe4-7ab6816d56abn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Emma Sweeney

Sep 18, 2022, 3:08:22 AM9/18/22
to Standard Ebooks
I found some more artwork for the cover.

4.
Arcite falls off a horse.
twonoblekinsmen4.jpg

5.
Palamon remains in prison after Arcite is released.
twonoblekinsmen5.jpg

6.
Emilia prays to Diana before Palamon and Arcite's fight.
twonoblekinsmen6.jpg

Emma

Alex Cabal

Sep 18, 2022, 12:37:53 PM9/18/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, I think 4 and 5 look good. Let me know which one you select.

On 9/18/22 2:08 AM, Emma Sweeney wrote:
> I found some more artwork for the cover.
>
> 4.
> Arcite falls off a horse.
> twonoblekinsmen4.jpg
> CC0 proof <https://www.nivaagaard.dk/en/samling-en/vilhelm-lundstroem-1/>
>
> 5.
> Palamon remains in prison after Arcite is released.
> twonoblekinsmen5.jpg
> CC0 proof
> <http://emp-web-84.zetcom.ch/eMP/eMuseumPlus?service=ExternalInterface&module=collection&objectId=19613&viewType=detailView>
>
> 6.
> Emilia prays to Diana before Palamon and Arcite's fight.
> twonoblekinsmen6.jpg
> CC0 proof
> <https://www.artic.edu/artworks/4788/lady-sarah-bunbury-sacrificing-to-the-graces>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7381bdf8-de21-4877-9fe4-7ab6816d56abn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7381bdf8-de21-4877-9fe4-7ab6816d56abn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dd6163b6-8102-455f-8e82-596b8979a597n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dd6163b6-8102-455f-8e82-596b8979a597n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Emma Sweeney

Sep 18, 2022, 1:35:18 PM9/18/22
to Standard Ebooks
I'll use #4 for the cover.

Emma

Emma Sweeney

Oct 14, 2022, 3:00:57 AM10/14/22
to Standard Ebooks
twonoblekinsmen.jpg

The Two Noble Kinsmen by William Shakespeare and John Fletcher is ready for review.

Note:
The Two Noble Kinsmen is NOT included in the Encyclopædia Britannica’s Great Books of the Western World Set.

Emma

Alex Cabal

Oct 17, 2022, 4:08:05 PM10/17/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, I've released it!

I think this wraps up our entire Shakespeare collection. Fantastic work
Emma, thanks for committing and delivering on getting all of these plays
out there! You did a great job.

On 10/14/22 2:00 AM, Emma Sweeney wrote:
> twonoblekinsmen.jpg
>
> The Two Noble Kinsmen by William Shakespeare and John Fletcher is ready
> for review.
> repository link:
> https://github.com/EmmaSweeney/william-shakespeare_john-fletcher_the-two-noble-kinsmen <https://github.com/EmmaSweeney/william-shakespeare_john-fletcher_the-two-noble-kinsmen>
> page scans:
> https://archive.org/details/cu31924056255031/page/424/mode/1up
> <https://archive.org/details/cu31924056255031/page/424/mode/1up>
>
> Note:
> The Two Noble Kinsmen is NOT included in the Encyclopædia Britannica’s
> Great Books of the Western World Set.
>

> Emma
> On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 1:35:18 PM UTC-4 Emma Sweeney wrote:
>
> I'll use #4 for the cover.
>
> Emma
> On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 12:37:53 PM UTC-4 Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> OK, I think 4 and 5 look good. Let me know which one you select.
>
> On 9/18/22 2:08 AM, Emma Sweeney wrote:
> > I found some more artwork for the cover.
> >
> > 4.
> > Arcite falls off a horse.
> > twonoblekinsmen4.jpg
> > CC0 proof
> <https://www.nivaagaard.dk/en/samling-en/vilhelm-lundstroem-1/
> <https://www.nivaagaard.dk/en/samling-en/vilhelm-lundstroem-1/>>
> >
> > 5.
> > Palamon remains in prison after Arcite is released.
> > twonoblekinsmen5.jpg
> > CC0 proof
> >
> <http://emp-web-84.zetcom.ch/eMP/eMuseumPlus?service=ExternalInterface&module=collection&objectId=19613&viewType=detailView <http://emp-web-84.zetcom.ch/eMP/eMuseumPlus?service=ExternalInterface&module=collection&objectId=19613&viewType=detailView>>
> >
> > 6.
> > Emilia prays to Diana before Palamon and Arcite's fight.
> > twonoblekinsmen6.jpg
> > CC0 proof
> >
> <https://www.artic.edu/artworks/4788/lady-sarah-bunbury-sacrificing-to-the-graces <https://www.artic.edu/artworks/4788/lady-sarah-bunbury-sacrificing-to-the-graces>>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dd6163b6-8102-455f-8e82-596b8979a597n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dd6163b6-8102-455f-8e82-596b8979a597n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a8cb51c9-572f-401f-a92d-76b16c7fd906n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a8cb51c9-572f-401f-a92d-76b16c7fd906n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Oct 17, 2022, 4:18:37 PM10/17/22
to Standard Ebooks
Here, here! Congratulations on a fantastic job of a massive undertaking, Emma!