[Proposed Production] The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky (trans. Eva Martin)

Weijia Cheng

May 15, 2022, 9:50:53 AM5/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
I've been thinking about reading this book and producing it for SE, but I wanted to check what our line on translators for Dostoevsky is. I know we like Garnett as a Russian translator, but my online searches and my inspection of UPenn's online books page for Dostoevsky suggest that the only transcribed version out there is Eva Martin's on PG.

Looking at the five books we have so far, we have 3 by Garnett and 2 by Hogarth. I'm assuming we don't have a situation like Tolstoy here where we have some translators (the Maudes) so preferred over others that we would go far out of our way to get their version. I did a skim of the first few chapters and I found the prose in the Martin translation pretty decent compared to the Garnett version. I didn't notice anything obviously problematic with the Martin translation; if anything it seemed a little fresher and more modern than Garnett and the dialogue seems more lively, though I am far from an expert. I personally wouldn't see the point of waiting for a Garnett translation to work on this one.

Alex Cabal

May 15, 2022, 4:25:53 PM5/15/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You can use the Martin one, as long as it seems decent.

On 5/15/22 8:50 AM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> I've been thinking about reading this book and producing it for SE, but
> I wanted to check what our line on translators for Dostoevsky is. I know
> we like Garnett as a Russian translator, but my online searches and my
> inspection of UPenn's online books page for Dostoevsky
> <http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=Dostoyevsky%2C%20Fyodor%2C%201821-1881>
> suggest that the only transcribed version out there is Eva Martin's on
> PG <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2638>.
>
> Looking at the five books we have so far, we have 3 by Garnett and 2 by
> Hogarth. I'm assuming we don't have a situation like Tolstoy here where
> we have some translators (the Maudes) so preferred over others that we
> would go far out of our way to get their version. I did a skim of the
> first few chapters and I found the prose in the Martin translation
> pretty decent compared to the Garnett version. I didn't notice anything
> obviously problematic with the Martin translation; if anything it seemed
> a little fresher and more modern than Garnett and the dialogue seems
> more lively, though I am far from an expert. I personally wouldn't see
> the point of waiting for a Garnett translation to work on this one.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c162b720-0504-44d9-97b2-46b847fb5175n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c162b720-0504-44d9-97b2-46b847fb5175n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

May 17, 2022, 8:14:27 AM5/17/22
to Standard Ebooks
Ok, since Martin is fine I'll start working on this, then.

Weijia Cheng

May 27, 2022, 11:24:09 AM5/27/22
to Standard Ebooks
“Dear me⁠—is it possible?” observed the clerk, while his face assumed an expression of great deference and servility⁠—if not of absolute alarm: “what, a son of that very Semen Rogojin⁠—hereditary honourable citizen⁠—who died a month or so ago and left two million and a half of roubles?”

How would we want to write "two million and a half of roubles" under 8.8.3? "2,500,000 roubles"? "2,500,000 of roubles"? Just leave it as is?

Alex Cabal

May 27, 2022, 11:24:43 AM5/27/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I would just leave it

On 5/27/22 10:24 AM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> “Dear me⁠—is it possible?” observed the clerk, while his face assumed an
> expression of great deference and servility⁠—if not of absolute alarm:
> “what, a son of that very Semen Rogojin⁠—hereditary honourable
> citizen⁠—who died a month or so ago and left *two million and a half of
> roubles*?”
>
> How would we want to write "two million and a half of roubles" under
> 8.8.3 <https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.6.4/8-typography#8.8.3>?
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c162b720-0504-44d9-97b2-46b847fb5175n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c162b720-0504-44d9-97b2-46b847fb5175n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/376be774-f2b0-49cd-b3a7-01ac582c3c68n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/376be774-f2b0-49cd-b3a7-01ac582c3c68n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

May 28, 2022, 8:55:52 AM5/28/22
to Standard Ebooks
For cover, how about this portrait: https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/SK-A-2807

It could represent the titular protagonist, Prince Myshkin: "The wearer of this cloak was a young fellow, also of about twenty-six or twenty-seven years of age, slightly above the middle height, very fair, with a thin, pointed and very light coloured beard; his eyes were large and blue, and had an intent look about them, yet that heavy expression which some people affirm to be a peculiarity as well as evidence, of an epileptic subject."

SK-A-2807.jpg

Alex Cabal

May 28, 2022, 3:23:32 PM5/28/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Looks good, thanks. Poor Jacques Perk, whose portrait will now say
"Idiot" right below it :)

On 5/28/22 7:55 AM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> For cover, how about this portrait:
> https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/SK-A-2807
>
> It could represent the titular protagonist, Prince Myshkin: "The wearer
> of this cloak was a young fellow, also of about twenty-six or
> twenty-seven years of age, slightly above the middle height, very fair,
> with a thin, pointed and very light coloured beard; his eyes were large
> and blue, and had an intent look about them, yet that heavy expression
> which some people affirm to be a peculiarity as well as evidence, of an
> epileptic subject."
>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/376be774-f2b0-49cd-b3a7-01ac582c3c68n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/376be774-f2b0-49cd-b3a7-01ac582c3c68n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3c57bda8-d60e-419f-9cb5-6d3d0fdd1943n%40googlegroups.com