[Proposal] The Golden Ass of Apuleius, 1893

king....@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2022, 11:45:53 PM6/10/22
to Standard Ebooks
I expect this one will take a bit longer, but think it is within my reach. Some of the front matter will require manual formatting, which seems doable.
- Paul

The Golden Ass of Apuleius, 1893

gutenburg: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1666

archive https://archive.org/details/goldenassofapule00apuliala

wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Ass

Cover – cropped to title character, lower edge at about the left knee, no rescale

“Fotis sees her Lover Lucius Transformed into an Ass.

Motif from Apeleius' The Golden Ass”, 1809

source: https://bit.ly/3O4FBGE

legit: https://open.smk.dk/artwork/image/KMS591

Artist

Nicolai Abildgaard

wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolai_Abildgaard

short: Apuleius

long: Lucius Apuleius Madaurensis OR? Lucius Apuleius “Africanus”

wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apuleius

Translator:

name: William Adlington

wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adlington

Introducer:

name: Charles Whibley

wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whibley

Translation Editor:

name: W. E. Henley

wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ernest_Henley

Front matter:

Translation Editor’s Dedication (Henley)

Introduction (Whibley) [missing from Gutenburg]

Translator’s Dedication (Adlington)

To the Reader (Adlington) [missing from Gutenburg]

The Life of … (Adlington)

Preface (Apuleius)

Body:

95K words, structured as 48 chapters, grouped as 11 books

Alex Cabal

Jun 11, 2022, 3:34:03 PM6/11/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I think this is going to be very tough because the spelling is ancient.
Look at just the first sentence of the first chapter - 'certaine'
'affaires' 'doe' 'myne auncestry' etc...

Even the page scans from 1893 keep the very old spelling.

So, you would have to very carefully go through these and adjust these
very old sound-alike spellings - but NOT changing things that aren't
sound-alike - and also not changing en-GB to en-US or vice versa.

Do you think you'd be interested in doing all that work?

On 6/10/22 10:45 PM, king....@gmail.com wrote:
> I expect this one will take a bit longer, but think it is within my
> reach. Some of the front matter will require manual formatting, which
> seems doable.
> - Paul
>
> The Golden Ass of Apuleius, 1893
>
> gutenburg: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1666
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1666>
>
> archive https://archive.org/details/goldenassofapule00apuliala
> <https://archive.org/details/goldenassofapule00apuliala>
>
> wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Ass
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Ass>
>

> Cover – cropped to title character, lower edge at about the left knee,
> no rescale
>
> “Fotis sees her Lover Lucius Transformed into an Ass.
>
> Motif from Apeleius' The Golden Ass”, 1809
>
> source: https://bit.ly/3O4FBGE
>
> legit: https://open.smk.dk/artwork/image/KMS591
>

> Artist
>
> Nicolai Abildgaard
>
> wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolai_Abildgaard

> short: Apuleius
>
> long: Lucius Apuleius Madaurensis OR? Lucius Apuleius “/Africanus”/
>
> wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apuleius
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apuleius>
>

> Translator:
>
> name: William Adlington
>
> wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adlington
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adlington>
>

> Introducer:
>
> name: Charles Whibley
>
> wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whibley
>

> Translation Editor:
>
> name: W. E. Henley
>
> wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ernest_Henley
>

> Front matter:
>
> Translation Editor’s Dedication (Henley)
>
> Introduction (Whibley) [missing from Gutenburg]
>
> Translator’s Dedication (Adlington)
>
> To the Reader (Adlington) [missing from Gutenburg]
>
> The Life of … (Adlington)
>
> Preface (Apuleius)
>

> Body:
>
> 95K words, structured as 48 chapters, grouped as 11 books

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2ecce135-c523-41b0-a652-6657b8098686n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2ecce135-c523-41b0-a652-6657b8098686n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

king....@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2022, 3:30:29 PM6/14/22
to Standard Ebooks

It looks like this book contains ~95k words of which ~8.6k are unique and ~2.6k are not in the long Scrabble dictionary located here (enable1.txt at https://github.com/dolph/dictionary) and thus suspicious for being “old”. Allowing for proper names (etc), I expect this list will reduce to ~2k. I think I can script the substitutions of old for new spellings assigning a commit to each, though this will be many commits. I know there will be some exceptions not found this way, e.g. “doe” but expect this number will be small and easily spotted during the read-through. I’m using “dictionary.cambridge.org” where UK vs US spellings are in question and assume I will need keep the scripts out of the repository. I’m more optimistic and so will continue formatting the front-matter that wasn’t included in Gutenburg.

- Paul

David Grigg

Jun 14, 2022, 8:01:00 PM6/14/22
to Standard Ebooks
Will you really need a commit for each change? Our usual modernize-spelling process makes many changes in one pass but we only declare them in a single [Editorial] commit.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ab3aa948-96db-4d5b-b95a-996b79a45b14n%40googlegroups.com.

king....@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2022, 8:25:20 PM6/25/22
to Standard Ebooks

This is still a work in progress and I have not begun to address capitalization. The substitutions I so far plan to make are located here: https://github.com/kingrpaul/modernize_english

archaic_words.txt (1640)

A list of word pairs with the first being an existing word and the second what it is to become. There’s just a few instances where a space appears in a “word” and compound words are treated as words. All are lower case and letters only. If transcription errors have slipped into this list, that’s not the intent. So many obscure words and so very many spellings. Plurals etc appear as separate words. Possessives do not. Possessives missing an apostrophe in the source are. I’ve run into only one case where this is not a mapping: “sowne” maps onto both “sewn” and “sown” from context. The reverse is not true, modern words are frequently spelled more than one way.

archaic_proper_nouns.txt (42)

Same as before, but limited to proper nouns and capitalized. I mean to use this to fix bad capitalizations.

obsolete_words.txt (29)

A list of obsolete former-words with an intended replacement. I tried to minimize the scale of this. Words that are fundamentally the same as the original are meant to be on the other list and any word that is fundamentally different is meant to be here. This is for convenience. They’ll be treated the same.

Other files in the repository are:

french_words.txt

german_words.txt

greek_words,txt

italian_words.txt

latin_words.txt (taken from inside “la” tags)

good_common_words.txt (from a public list)

good_proper_nouns.txt (spellings checked)

good_checked_words.txt (spellings checked, includes UK versions of common US words)

I have a little over a hundred words not yet in a bin. Some, I do not yet know what they mean. If anything here looks wonky, thanks in advance for the heads-up.

- Paul

Vince

Jun 25, 2022, 8:41:19 PM6/25/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I haven’t looked at the lists, but remember that you’re changing archaic spelling, i.e. instances where the same word is spelled in a different way than it is currently. So, if what’s in “obsolete_words” are different words (not spelling), we don’t typically make that kind of substitution.

Alex Cabal

Jun 25, 2022, 11:22:42 PM6/25/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
As Vince said, we only want to make sound alike spelling modernizations.
So changing old words to totally new words is not in scope.

Some of the words in obsolote_words.txt could be easily "modernized" in
that way:

bespred -> bespread
choller -> choler (an actual modern word)
counterpoyson -> counterpoison

But the rest, we don't want to change.

I only glanced at the rest of the files but they seem OK.

Just keep in mind: only sound-alike changes. If it's not sound-alike,
leave it be.

Thanks!
>> <https://github.com/dolph/dictionary>) and thus suspicious for
>> being “old”. Allowing for proper names (etc), I expect this list
>> will reduce to ~2k. I think I can script the substitutions of old
>> for new spellings assigning a commit to each, though this will be
>> many commits. I know there will be some exceptions not found this
>> way, e.g. “doe” but expect this number will be small and easily
>> spotted during the read-through. I’m using
>> “dictionary.cambridge.org <http://dictionary.cambridge.org>” where
>> > source: https://bit.ly/3O4FBGE <https://bit.ly/3O4FBGE>
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2ecce135-c523-41b0-a652-6657b8098686n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2ecce135-c523-41b0-a652-6657b8098686n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ab3aa948-96db-4d5b-b95a-996b79a45b14n%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ab3aa948-96db-4d5b-b95a-996b79a45b14n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/61b51453-8b6c-4f38-b9f4-2ae0b09f2204n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/61b51453-8b6c-4f38-b9f4-2ae0b09f2204n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Paul King

Jun 25, 2022, 11:57:42 PM6/25/22
to Standard Ebooks
Leave the capitalization as is?

Sent from BlueMail

Alex Cabal

Jun 26, 2022, 12:42:19 AM6/26/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes, update old-timey gratuitous capitalization to what we would expect in a modern book.

king....@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2022, 2:35:35 PM6/26/22
to Standard Ebooks
I’ve added a file ‘sound_alike_words.txt’ containing the prior ‘archaic’ and ‘obsolete’ words. The words in that list that are to be left unchanged have an empty string ‘’ after the comma. Attention is drawn to the entries marked with asterices. This file and ‘archaic_proper_nouns.txt’ contain the intended substitutions. Better?

- Paul

Alex Cabal

Jun 27, 2022, 12:00:26 PM6/27/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, at a glance that looks good. There are a few errors like

susteined, sustain

stroken, stricken *******

Not sure if "stroken" is the same as "stricken" without context.

On 6/26/22 1:35 PM, king....@gmail.com wrote:
> I’ve added a file ‘sound_alike_words.txt’ containing the prior ‘archaic’
> and ‘obsolete’ words. The words in that list that are to be left
> unchanged have an empty string ‘’ after the comma. Attention is drawn to
> the entries marked with asterices. This file and
> ‘archaic_proper_nouns.txt’ contain the intended substitutions. Better?
>
> - Paul
>
> On Saturday, June 25, 2022 at 11:42:19 PM UTC-5 Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> Yes, update old-timey gratuitous capitalization to what we would
> expect in a modern book.
>

> On June 25, 2022 10:57:37 PM CDT, Paul King <king....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Leave the capitalization as is?
>
> Sent from BlueMail <https://bluemail.me>
> On Jun 25, 2022, at 10:22 PM, Alex Cabal
> <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:
>
> As Vince said, we only want to make sound alike spelling modernizations.
> So changing old words to totally new words is not in scope.
>
> Some of the words in obsolote_words.txt could be easily "modernized" in
> that way:
>
> bespred -> bespread
> choller -> choler (an actual modern word)
> counterpoyson -> counterpoison
>
> But the rest, we don't want to change.
>
> I only glanced at the rest of the files but they seem OK.
>
> Just keep in mind: only sound-alike changes. If it's not sound-alike,
> leave it be.
>
> Thanks!
>
> <http://“dictionary.cambridge.org>
> <http://dictionary.cambridge.org
> <https://bit.ly/3O4FBGE> <https://bit.ly/3O4FBGE
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ab3aa948-96db-4d5b-b95a-996b79a45b14n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/61b51453-8b6c-4f38-b9f4-2ae0b09f2204n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/61b51453-8b6c-4f38-b9f4-2ae0b09f2204n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4431f00b-c5ca-4fe5-a1a7-7358d5cdb264n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4431f00b-c5ca-4fe5-a1a7-7358d5cdb264n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Paul King

Jun 27, 2022, 2:01:54 PM6/27/22
to Digest recipients
Much appreciated.  I'll be careful of typos re "sustain" and yes "stroken" is "stricken" in context.

Sent from BlueMail

Paul King

Jun 27, 2022, 2:27:10 PM6/27/22
to Digest recipients
Much appreciated.  I'll be careful of typos re "sustain" and yes "stroken" is "stricken" in context.

Sent from BlueMail

king....@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2022, 7:05:49 PM7/6/22
to Standard Ebooks

Proper or common noun?

1. If a pagan character uses a monotheist-sounding idiom (in translation) that includes the word “God”, e.g. “I would to God that” or “God forbid”, it should be capitalized?

2. The word used like a job title as in “the God Osiris” should be a capitalized?

4. The word used to refer to a specific deity whose identity is known to the reader should be capitalized as it stands in place of a name, e.g. “the Goddess” when we know this refers to Isis, akin to UK English capitalizing the “Queen”?

5. Or, all ancient uses of “god” and “goddess” should be lower case?

Gutenburg and Archive are inconsistent on this, with themselves and each other.

As suggested, this production has been challenging, but progress continues.

Thanks in advance.

- Paul

Alex Cabal

Jul 6, 2022, 7:52:51 PM7/6/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
When referring to a god as a proper noun, it is capitalized. When
referring to a god as a noun that does not refer to an actual specific
deity, or as a concept, or as an item in a group, it is lowercased.

These are basically the same rules for titles. "The ship was piloted by
Captain Bob, one of the best captains in the navy."

On 7/6/22 6:05 PM, king....@gmail.com wrote:
> Proper or common noun?
>
> 1. If a pagan character uses a monotheist-sounding idiom (in
> translation) that includes the word “God”, e.g. “I would to God that” or
> “God forbid”, it should be capitalized?
>
> 2. The word used like a job title as in “the God Osiris” should be a
> capitalized?
>
> 4. The word used to refer to a specific deity whose identity is known to
> the reader should be capitalized as it stands in place of a name, e.g.
> “the Goddess” when we know this refers to Isis, akin to UK English
> capitalizing the “Queen”?
>
> 5. Or, all ancient uses of “god” and “goddess” should be lower case?
>
> Gutenburg and Archive are inconsistent on this, with themselves and each
> other.
>
> As suggested, this production has been challenging, but progress continues.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> - Paul
>
> On Monday, June 27, 2022 at 1:27:10 PM UTC-5 king....@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Much appreciated.  I'll be careful of typos re "sustain" and yes
> "stroken" is "stricken" in context.
>
> Sent from BlueMail <https://bluemail.me>
> On Jun 27, 2022, at 11:00 AM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org>
> wrote:
>
> OK, at a glance that looks good. There are a few errors like
>
> susteined, sustain
>
> stroken, stricken *******
>
> Not sure if "stroken" is the same as "stricken" without context.
>
> On 6/26/22 1:35 PM,king....@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I’ve added a file ‘sound_alike_words.txt’ containing the
> prior ‘archaic’
> and ‘obsolete’ words. The words in that list that are to be
> left
> unchanged have an empty string ‘’ after the comma. Attention
> is drawn to
> the entries marked with asterices. This file and
> ‘archaic_proper_nouns.txt’ contain the intended
> substitutions. Better?
>
> - Paul
>
> On Saturday, June 25, 2022 at 11:42:19 PM UTC-5 Alex Cabal
> wrote:
>
> Yes, update old-timey gratuitous capitalization to what we would
> expect in a modern book.
>

> On June 25, 2022 10:57:37 PM CDT, Paul King
> <king....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Leave the capitalization as is?
>
> Sent from BlueMail <https://bluemail.me <https://bluemail.me>>
> <http://“dictionary.cambridge.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4431f00b-c5ca-4fe5-a1a7-7358d5cdb264n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4431f00b-c5ca-4fe5-a1a7-7358d5cdb264n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9550337a-721b-4d98-98b6-f61c409314a4n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9550337a-721b-4d98-98b6-f61c409314a4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

king....@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2022, 12:08:25 PM7/18/22
to Standard Ebooks
Still a work in progress but I am getting a lint error regarding the book sections, as shown below. Best I can tell, the structure mirrors a prior work that also had sections. Would appreciate a pointer.

x-017, Error, content.opf, Duplicate value for id attribute, part-1 (etc)

Thanks in advance.

- Paul

https://github.com/kingrpaul/apuleius_the-golden-ass-of-apuleius_william-adlington

Alex Cabal

Jul 18, 2022, 12:13:15 PM7/18/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You have two id attributes set to 'part-1' somewhere in the ebook,
possibly different files. All IDs must be globally unique across the ebook.

On 7/18/22 11:08 AM, king....@gmail.com wrote:
> Still a work in progress but I am getting a lint error regarding the
> book sections, as shown below. Best I can tell, the structure mirrors a
> prior work that also had sections. Would appreciate a pointer.
>
> x-017, Error, content.opf, Duplicate value for id attribute, part-1 (etc)
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> - Paul
>
> https://github.com/kingrpaul/apuleius_the-golden-ass-of-apuleius_william-adlington
>

> On Friday, June 10, 2022 at 10:45:53 PM UTC-5 king....@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I expect this one will take a bit longer, but think it is within my
> reach. Some of the front matter will require manual formatting,
> which seems doable.
> - Paul
>
> The Golden Ass of Apuleius, 1893
>
> gutenburg: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1666
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1666>
>
> archive https://archive.org/details/goldenassofapule00apuliala
> <https://archive.org/details/goldenassofapule00apuliala>
>
> wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Ass
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Ass>
>

> Cover – cropped to title character, lower edge at about the left
> knee, no rescale
>
> “Fotis sees her Lover Lucius Transformed into an Ass.
>
> Motif from Apeleius' The Golden Ass”, 1809
>
> source: https://bit.ly/3O4FBGE <https://bit.ly/3O4FBGE>
> long: Lucius Apuleius Madaurensis OR? Lucius Apuleius “/Africanus”/
>
> wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apuleius
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apuleius>
>

> Translator:
>
> name: William Adlington
>
> wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adlington
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adlington>
>

> Introducer:
>
> name: Charles Whibley
>
> wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whibley
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whibley>
>

> Translation Editor:
>
> name: W. E. Henley
>
> wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ernest_Henley
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ernest_Henley>
>

> Front matter:
>
> Translation Editor’s Dedication (Henley)
>
> Introduction (Whibley) [missing from Gutenburg]
>
> Translator’s Dedication (Adlington)
>
> To the Reader (Adlington) [missing from Gutenburg]
>
> The Life of … (Adlington)
>
> Preface (Apuleius)
>

> Body:
>
> 95K words, structured as 48 chapters, grouped as 11 books

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0729826d-6c5c-4a13-8035-a049652c62b2n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0729826d-6c5c-4a13-8035-a049652c62b2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

king....@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2022, 1:49:11 PM8/1/22
to Standard Ebooks
Requesting review of this book, which has proved to be a beast.

The project is here:

https://github.com/kingrpaul/apuleius_the-golden-ass-of-apuleius_william-adlington

Some working notes are here, may be helpful in review, but is not fully complete:

https://github.com/kingrpaul/modernize_english/blob/main/all_words.csv

format: [existing word (or phrase), substitution if any, notes]

Research was required in places, some of it interesting, if there are questions. I’m certain there are words that remain in their original form and I have a newfound appreciation for Samuel Johnson.

Thanks in advance.

- Paul

Alex Cabal

Aug 1, 2022, 6:44:48 PM8/1/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Jason, do you have time to review this?
> source: https://bit.ly/3O4FBGE <https://bit.ly/3O4FBGE>
> long: Lucius Apuleius Madaurensis OR? Lucius Apuleius “/Africanus”/
>
> wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apuleius
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apuleius>
>

> Translator:
>
> name: William Adlington
>
> wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adlington
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adlington>
>

> Introducer:
>
> name: Charles Whibley
>
> wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whibley
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whibley>
>

> Translation Editor:
>
> name: W. E. Henley
>
> wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ernest_Henley
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ernest_Henley>
>

> Front matter:
>
> Translation Editor’s Dedication (Henley)
>
> Introduction (Whibley) [missing from Gutenburg]
>
> Translator’s Dedication (Adlington)
>
> To the Reader (Adlington) [missing from Gutenburg]
>
> The Life of … (Adlington)
>
> Preface (Apuleius)
>

> Body:
>
> 95K words, structured as 48 chapters, grouped as 11 books

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3816d2c4-7112-43cd-801d-106e7909ebb6n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3816d2c4-7112-43cd-801d-106e7909ebb6n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jason DeCock

Aug 1, 2022, 11:15:37 PM8/1/22
to Standard Ebooks
Unfortunately, I'm going to be out in the woods most of the this and next week so I won't be around a computer.

Emma Sweeney

Aug 2, 2022, 12:07:15 AM8/2/22
to Standard Ebooks
I can review this if you like, Alex.

Emma

Alex Cabal

Aug 2, 2022, 12:07:49 AM8/2/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, thanks!

Emma Sweeney

Aug 6, 2022, 2:57:19 AM8/6/22
to Standard Ebooks
Great work on updating the spelling and capitalization! I filed some issues in your repository.

Emma

king....@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2022, 11:07:59 AM8/11/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks, much appreciate. I think I've responded to everything. Let me know if there's anything else.
- Paul

Emma Sweeney

Aug 11, 2022, 7:31:19 PM8/11/22
to Standard Ebooks
I found a few more issues. I've filed those in your repository.

Emma

Emma Sweeney

Aug 14, 2022, 5:35:18 AM8/14/22
to Standard Ebooks
Alex, this one is ready for you.

Emma

Alex Cabal

Aug 14, 2022, 1:28:01 PM8/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Paul, some notes:

- Did you clear this cover art with me? I don't have a record of it.

- The title of the book is "The Golden Ass", not "The Golden Ass of
Apuleius". Can you update the cover/titlepage images, SE identifier
throughout the ebook, and the Github URL? The easiest way to update the
images is to create a new dummy draft and copy the images it generates
in to the real repo.

- The short description should be a single short sentence in the active
voice that summarizes the plot. "A man is transformed into a donkey and
goes on an adventure" or something like that. Not, "In this book, this
thing happens, then this other thing..."
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3816d2c4-7112-43cd-801d-106e7909ebb6n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3816d2c4-7112-43cd-801d-106e7909ebb6n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5bd5cd1c-adf0-4d49-97a0-c02a6f0f7d91n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5bd5cd1c-adf0-4d49-97a0-c02a6f0f7d91n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Aug 14, 2022, 2:25:05 PM8/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Implicitly, perhaps, but didn’t wait for clearance. He included it in the list of information in his first email.

Alex Cabal

Aug 14, 2022, 2:53:52 PM8/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I must have forgotten to record it. Thanks!

Paul King

Aug 14, 2022, 5:30:33 PM8/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Started doing that after thinking a project was going to fail, mid-way when I couldn't find an image. Also, i found myself making dummy covers to proofread with. The "of" title was Adlingon's and I originally used his publication date. Makes sense those should stay together. I'll take a look. Thanks.

Alex Cabal

Aug 14, 2022, 9:41:12 PM8/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK great, I think that covers it. Great work on the spelling here - it
was a lot of work to get all those spellings current. Thanks!

On 8/14/22 4:30 PM, Paul King wrote:
> Started doing that after thinking a project was going to fail, mid-way
> when I couldn't find an image. Also, i found myself making dummy covers
> to proofread with. The "of" title was Adlingon's and I originally used
> his publication date. Makes sense those should stay together. I'll take
> a look. Thanks.
>
> On 8/14/22 13:53, Alex Cabal wrote:
>> Ah, I must have forgotten to record it. Thanks!
>>
>> On August 14, 2022 1:25:02 PM CDT, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Implicitly, perhaps, but didn’t wait for clearance. He included it
>> in the list of information in his first email
>> <https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/ye7RUN956iw>.
>>

>>> On Aug 14, 2022, at 12:27 PM, Alex Cabal
>>> <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Paul, some notes:
>>>
>>> - Did you clear this cover art with me? I don't have a record of it.
>>>
>>> - The title of the book is "The Golden Ass", not "The Golden Ass
>>> of Apuleius". Can you update the cover/titlepage images, SE
>>> identifier throughout the ebook, and the Github URL? The easiest
>>> way to update the images is to create a new dummy draft and copy
>>> the images it generates in to the real repo.
>>>
>>> - The short description should be a single short sentence in the
>>> active voice that summarizes the plot. "A man is transformed into
>>> a donkey and goes on an adventure" or something like that. Not,
>>> "In this book, this thing happens, then this other thing..."
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/34DF6A0C-5FE7-4D12-9763-6E1C592C2C04%40standardebooks.org
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/34DF6A0C-5FE7-4D12-9763-6E1C592C2C04%40standardebooks.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/34875f44-c358-738b-96c7-76c2a370bb02%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/34875f44-c358-738b-96c7-76c2a370bb02%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Paul King

Aug 14, 2022, 10:45:54 PM8/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
It was a beast. I appreciate the support.
- Paul

Sent from BlueMail