[New production] Downstream, by Sigfrid Siwertz

Robin Whittleton

Apr 29, 2022, 2:12:10 PM4/29/22
to Standard Ebooks
Sorry, forgot to announce this. I’m in the proofing stages so far.

The cover art I’d like to use is actually a watercolour, but so skilfully done that you’d be hard-pressed to not think it an oil. It’s Zorn’s ”Sommarnöje” (tr. “summer enjoyment”). PD proof: https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89054773486?urlappend=%3Bseq=97%3Bownerid=13510798886661078-101

Alex Cabal

Apr 29, 2022, 4:20:10 PM4/29/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Very nice find. Shocking that it's a watercolor!

On 4/29/22 1:12 PM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
> Sorry, forgot to announce this. I’m in the proofing stages so far.
>
> The cover art I’d like to use is actually a watercolour, but so
> skilfully done that you’d be hard-pressed to not think it an oil. It’s
> Zorn’s ”Sommarnöje <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sommarn%C3%B6je>” (tr.
> <https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89054773486?urlappend=;seq=97;ownerid=13510798886661078-101>

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/D74CCE9B-8D98-4388-A53A-492B540C004E%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/D74CCE9B-8D98-4388-A53A-492B540C004E%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

Apr 29, 2022, 4:42:42 PM4/29/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
If you’re ever in Sweden I recommend a trip to the Zorn Museum in Mora. This painting is fairly unusual for him as the woman has some clothes on.

> On 29 Apr 2022, at 22:20, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:
>
> Very nice find. Shocking that it's a watercolor!
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b198ae04-d4c4-14e6-a590-c54b1ce5cc20%40standardebooks.org.

François Grandjean

Apr 29, 2022, 9:58:45 PM4/29/22
to Standard Ebooks
You have a knack for finding striking pictures.

Robin Whittleton

May 8, 2022, 8:45:09 AM5/8/22
to Standard Ebooks
And we’re done. Repo: https://github.com/robinwhittleton/sigfrid-siwertz_downstream_macmillan-of-canada . Production notes:

  • Couldn’t find a specific translator, so Macmillan of Canada gets the credit.
  • Unusually good PG transcription, I couldn’t find a single mistake. But it is a recent one (nov 2019).
  • Simple structure, just a couple of parts and no intro or endnotes.
  • The usual smattering of letters, ship names and languages. There are a couple of blockquotes describing signs and requiring custom styling. Also the first time I’ve had to use xml:lang=“non” for Old Norse.
  • I made a few editorial changes beyond the usual, so please review. Biggest was changing ”praying cricket” to “praying mantis” (obvious from context, but I’ve never heard the first version before.)

I quite enjoyed this one, but I have to say that at times it felt a bit like the author was trying to write the metaphor more than the character. A worthy addition to the corpus though.

-Robin

On 29 Apr 2022, at 20:12, Robin Whittleton <ro...@reala.net> wrote:

Sorry, forgot to announce this. I’m in the proofing stages so far.

The cover art I’d like to use is actually a watercolour, but so skilfully done that you’d be hard-pressed to not think it an oil. It’s Zorn’s ”Sommarnöje” (tr. “summer enjoyment”). PD proof: https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89054773486?urlappend=%3Bseq=97%3Bownerid=13510798886661078-101

<thumbnail_569f2e386a280c5dd9577659363f032bfc95b732_EBOK_portrait.jpg>

Robin Whittleton

May 8, 2022, 8:51:43 AM5/8/22
to Standard Ebooks
On the subject of “praying cricket”, ngram has a very small bump right around when this book was published, then it drops back to nothing again: https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=praying+mantis%2Cpraying+cricket&year_start=1800&year_end=2019&corpus=26&smoothing=3#

Alex Cabal

May 8, 2022, 12:41:02 PM5/8/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Vince, do you have time to review this?

I think we should leave 'praying cricket' as it is. It's not a spelling
change, that's a totally different word.
> * Couldn’t find a specific translator, so Macmillan of Canada gets the
> credit.
> * Unusually good PG transcription, I couldn’t find a single mistake.
> But it is a recent one (nov 2019).
> * Simple structure, just a couple of parts and no intro or endnotes.
> * The usual smattering of letters, ship names and languages. There are
> a couple of blockquotes describing signs and requiring custom
> styling. Also the first time I’ve had to use xml:lang=“non” for Old
> Norse.
> * I made a few editorial changes beyond the usual, so please review.
> Biggest was changing ”praying cricket” to “praying mantis” (obvious
> from context, but I’ve never heard the first version before.)
>

> I quite enjoyed this one, but I have to say that at times it felt a bit
> like the author was trying to write the metaphor more than the
> character. A worthy addition to the corpus though.
>
> -Robin
>
>> On 29 Apr 2022, at 20:12, Robin Whittleton <ro...@reala.net
>> <mailto:ro...@reala.net>> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, forgot to announce this. I’m in the proofing stages so far.
>>
>> The cover art I’d like to use is actually a watercolour, but so
>> skilfully done that you’d be hard-pressed to not think it an oil. It’s
>> Zorn’s ”Sommarnöje <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sommarn%C3%B6je>”
>> <https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89054773486?urlappend=;seq=97;ownerid=13510798886661078-101>
>>
>> <thumbnail_569f2e386a280c5dd9577659363f032bfc95b732_EBOK_portrait.jpg>
>>
>> --

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E077CF69-E0ED-43A5-9F6C-CC1E0B1D8EC9%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E077CF69-E0ED-43A5-9F6C-CC1E0B1D8EC9%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

May 8, 2022, 12:46:21 PM5/8/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Ok, will rebase away that commit 👍

> On 8 May 2022, at 18:41, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:
>
> Vince, do you have time to review this?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a23a5be2-8374-5c8f-b461-587ba5479bfa%40standardebooks.org.

Vince

May 8, 2022, 12:52:45 PM5/8/22
to Standard Ebooks
Sure.

Vince

May 8, 2022, 6:47:29 PM5/8/22
to Standard Ebooks
Excellent job as usual, Robin. I logged a couple of very minor questions.

Robin Whittleton

May 9, 2022, 2:23:44 AM5/9/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks for the review! I’ve addressed all the points you mentioned (including the `se`/`sv` mixup 🤦‍♂️).

Vince Rice

May 9, 2022, 10:14:03 AM5/9/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Ready for you, Alex!

On May 9, 2022, at 1:23 AM, Robin Whittleton <ro...@reala.net> wrote:

Thanks for the review! I’ve addressed all the points you mentioned (including the `se`/`sv` mixup 🤦‍♂️).

Alex Cabal

May 9, 2022, 6:37:37 PM5/9/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
In the long description, what does it mean when you say "the Selambs
family nature can’t help but out."?

On 5/9/22 1:23 AM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
> Thanks for the review! I’ve addressed all the points you mentioned
> (including the `se`/`sv` mixup 🤦‍♂️).
>
>> On 9 May 2022, at 00:47, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org
>> <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Excellent job as usual, Robin. I logged a couple of/very/minor questions.
>>
>>> On May 8, 2022, at 11:52 AM, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org
>>> <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sure.

>> --

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1D4C448B-006C-45D2-8785-F9FCED10B34A%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1D4C448B-006C-45D2-8785-F9FCED10B34A%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

May 10, 2022, 1:25:26 AM5/10/22
to Standard Ebooks
Good point, that kind of relies on you having read the book to discover. I’ve updated the description in https://github.com/robinwhittleton/sigfrid-siwertz_downstream_macmillan-of-canada/commit/b4712c76c0d0ca1ceb22641231e64e299db0ee74.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/46ff1794-42c9-3344-0100-df050343f77c%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

May 10, 2022, 11:51:24 AM5/10/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Alex Cabal

May 10, 2022, 11:59:05 AM5/10/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK great, I've gone ahead and released it. Thanks!

I changed the flex CSS so that we achieve the desired appearance of that
blockquote, but without extra <span>s. This also removes an ignore rule.